Tracking the HVB State of Health - how much decline is normal?

If you have 20,000 miles or more, what is the SoH of your HVB?

• Total voters
OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
One of Ford's patents says the following about how they *might* be calculating SOH, but it's not the only model, and we don't know what the coefficients might be in the representation they include here. Note that I haven't dug into the patent to check every little detail.

The patent goes on to say...

Equations 6 and 7 are as follows:

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 08.00.21.png

If this patent is relevant to the Mustang, Ford is giving iteslf a lot of space to determine the SOH based on several different scenarios, including driver aggressiveness.

Link to the patent (PDF):
https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/10569660
Very interesting. That seems to explain why SoH could be lower than maximum battery capacity, but not higher. The SoH of my battery is slightly lower than what I calculate at 100% SoCD. Maybe it is all the WOTs!

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Very interesting. That seems to explain why SoH could be lower than maximum battery capacity, but not higher. The SoH of my battery is slightly lower than what I calculate at 100% SoCD. Maybe it is all the WOTs!
I think that may be. They seem to have both a past and predicted driving behavior as part of their estimate for SOH.
I have a few WOTs, but not many.
I'm down to 96.5% after just over 20,000 miles.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'm at 93%.

40k miles
DCFC at least 4 times a week
Charge to 100% at least twice a week

I've said this before, all the research I've read says that age+not driving the car is worse for the battery than DCFC, 100% charges and charge cycles. Of course they all wear on the battery, but your better bang for buck is to drive it, charge it, do what it's designed to do and stop worrying about it.
Does anyone know exactly how the HVSoH number is derived?

There have to be some approximations and extrapolations to account for temperature, regen, and never really going from 'full' to 'empty' voltages under steady state output and conditions required for accurate energy capacity measurement.

It seems to me that this number is likely to be not much more accurate than the GOM range estimator....

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

There have to be some approximations and extrapolations to account for temperature, regen, and never really going from 'full' to 'empty' voltages under steady state output and conditions required for accurate energy capacity measurement.

It seems to me that this number is likely to be not much more accurate than the GOM range estimator....
I've never seen a post with a definitive answer to how it's calculated. I agree that it's probably wildly inaccurate, or at least inconsistent which is why every time I've commented on it I've said to just drive the damn car and stop worrying about it.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I've never seen a post with a definitive answer to how it's calculated. I agree that it's probably wildly inaccurate, or at least inconsistent which is why every time I've commented on it I've said to just drive the damn car and stop worrying about it.
I agree. My only concern is 8 years or 100,000 miles from now whether or not that number is what Ford uses to determine if you have a valid warranty claim or not

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I agree. My only concern is 8 years or 100,000 miles from now whether or not that number is what Ford uses to determine if you have a valid warranty claim or not
I really doubt that. Ford has tools, some of which are in FDRS to analyze the battery cells. I am sure that for warranty claims they have to do further diagnostic testing.

All that being said, I don't think I've ever seen a warranty replacement of an EV battery solely for SOH. Every single warranty replacement was due to a recall, damage etc. I'm not saying there haven't been any, but I've yet to see one. If they do happen it's either suppressed by the media (wouldn't surprise me one bit) or they just don't get much attention.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag

while indicative but not definitive, @SpaceEVDriver posted a link to ford's patent for Systems and Methods for Battery State-of-Health Monitoring. filed in 2016, issued in 2020.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
while indicative but not definitive, @SpaceEVDriver posted a link to ford's patent for Systems and Methods for Battery State-of-Health Monitoring. filed in 2016, issued in 2020.
Yeah, but who knows if they use that. That's why I specifically said, definitive. 95% of patents filed fail to be used or issued. We can speculate all we want, but that doesn't help anyone. Until someone gets inside information or Ford comes out and says "this is what we do" we won't know.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, but who knows if they use that. That's why I specifically said, definitive. 95% of patents filed fail to be used or issued. We can speculate all we want, but that doesn't help anyone. Until someone gets inside information or Ford comes out and says "this is what we do" we won't know.
but you'll argue about it without definitive answers for ages.

when the available information is between "a patent ford filed for and was issued" and "waving rubber chickens in the air" i'll usually side with the patent. but hey, let us all know when you get your definitive answer.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
but you'll argue about it without definitive answers for ages.

when the available information is between "a patent ford filed for and was issued" and "waving rubber chickens in the air" i'll usually side with the patent. but hey, let us all know when you get your definitive answer.
I have never once claimed to know how they calculate SOH or argued about how they calculate it. So, when someone asks me, by quoting my post, if I know how it's done I answered with no, because there's nothing definitive posted about it.

You can speculate all you want but the fact is that 95% of patents don't get used. Could it be that this patent is used, sure it could be, but I'm not going to say that it's factual. An opinion, guess or suspicion is not fact.

If you think I waive rubber chickens in the air, there's an ignore button you can use.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have never once claimed to know how they calculate SOH or argued about how they calculate it. So, when someone asks me, by quoting my post, if I know how it's done I answered with no, because there's nothing definitive posted about it.

You can speculate all you want but the fact is that 95% of patents don't get used. Could it be that this patent is used, sure it could be, but I'm not going to say that it's factual. An opinion, guess or suspicion is not fact.

If you think I waive rubber chickens in the air, there's an ignore button you can use.
LOL i noted it was "indicative not definitive" in my first response and nothing else. then you stamped your feet on the "definitive" end of your obsession and won't let it go.

you're just amazing.

EDIT: and then you delete all your comments in this set of posts to remove all evidence. amazing. 😂
EDIT 2: double 😂, i've been blocked.

Last edited:

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
EDIT: and then you delete all your comments in this set of posts to remove all evidence. amazing.
Nothing is deleted, I just prevented you from seeing anything of mine, past, present or future.

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
LOL i noted it was "indicative not definitive" in my first response and nothing else. then you stamped your feet on the "definitive" end of your obsession and won't let it go.

you're just amazing.

EDIT: and then you delete all your comments in this set of posts to remove all evidence. amazing. 😂
EDIT 2: double 😂, i've been blocked.
He blocks everyone that calls him out. Big ego

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
So just turned 28k miles 94.5% SOH

• Daily % charge setting
    • 90% at home
  • How often you L2 charge
    • Usually once per week
  • How often you DC charge
    • A bunch maybe 50 to 60 times
  • Does the car sit at high SoC >80%
    • Yes it's not driven daily
  • How low do you go before recharging
    • Below 40% it gets charged. It's been run to 0% twice on road trips
  • How often do you charge to 100%
    • Before and when on road trips maybe 20 times
Ford Mustang Mach-E Tracking the HVB State of Health - how much decline is normal? Screenshot_20230606_170304222

Last edited:

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
94.5% at 20k miles here, '21 Premium ER AWD.

I don't DCFC often, mostly charging at home, but the car hasn't been garaged for most of its life so it has seen a lot of extreme temps, high and low. It has also been a while since I've been to 100% SOC so my value could use a calibration.

Current mileage estimate is 242mi at 90%, or 269 miles equivalent. And that is with a bike rack on the hitch, winter tires (just changed them last weekend but haven't driven much), and moderate highway driving (65-75mph) in nice weather (55F to 75F). I'm satisfied.

That said, if this rate of change keeps up I could be at 72% at 100k miles, which isn't great. I'd rather be well above the 70% level, or just below it so I can cash in the warranty! Hopefully the rate of change isn't constant.
Sponsored

Last edited: