Trading in my 2022 and buying a 2023 to ease my contactor anxiety?

Gene Bank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT
Country flag
I have a 2022 MME GT. Fully loaded. I took delivery last March. Love, love, love this car but I have an obsessive personality and this whole connecter issue is taking some of the enjoyment out of this car. I realize the chance of failure is very limited but I plan to hold onto this car for a long time. I'm retired, not a techy and I'm still waiting for the OTA connecter software update but finally made an appointment to bring it into the dealership this coming week. I know the software update is only a band-aid so it will always be on the back of my mind with road trips etc. I am thinking of just placing an order for the 2023 version of the same car and trading mine in. Has anyone actually done this? I paid $72K for this car, $5K over sticker. I guess I could reserve one and then back out depending on if there would still be the $7500K tax incentive left. Thoughts?
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I have a 2022 MME GT. Fully loaded. I took delivery last March. Love, love, love this car but I have an obsessive personality and this whole connecter issue is taking some of the enjoyment out of this car. I realize the chance of failure is very limited but I plan to hold onto this car for a long time. I'm retired, not a techy and I'm still waiting for the OTA connecter software update but finally made an appointment to bring it into the dealership this coming week. I know the software update is only a band-aid so it will always be on the back of my mind with road trips etc. I am thinking of just placing an order for the 2023 version of the same car and trading mine in. Has anyone actually done this? I paid $72K for this car, $5K over sticker. I guess I could reserve one and then back out depending on if there would still be the $7500K tax incentive left. Thoughts?
I think you'd be throwing a lot of money away to fix a problem that 1) hasn't happened yet, and 2) is repaired free by Ford should it happen with the part you'd be buying in the 2023 model anyway. (I'm assuming you mean the HVBJB issue when you say "connecter.")

I too have a bit of an obsessive personality, but even though I know it's a ticking time bomb of an unknown duration, Ford is getting a better handle on these repairs; in most cases now people here are saying it's taking about a week from start to finish, and I can live with that. It's also going to take a long time to get that 23, and by that time, if you're going to have the issue to get a new HVBJB, it will probably happen before you get your new ride.

Honestly, I'd try to take a deep breath and just enjoy what you have without spending another $10K-ish or more on the exact same car.

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select AWD DMG & '23 Premium RWD ER CG Mach E
Country flag
Hello. Same as you but I took a different route. I had my dealership get me the price on the "new" version of the HVBJB for my 2022 MME Select AWD; we then agreed on amount of labor and labor rate for them to replace the HVBJB and I paid for it out of pocket. For my Select, cost of part and labor was $1,951. I dropped the car off one morning and picked it up after work the next day. Part arrived at dealership in about 3 days (ordered it middle of July). Their first opening with battery techs was in mid-August. Maybe one day Ford will recall all original HVBJBs and maybe I will get some of all of money back. I am not really worried whether I see any of the money or not. I love the car. I have a 160 mile round trip commute so peace of mind was important to me.

Just another option you can think about. Advice from @JohnnyForensic is good advice as well.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I traded in my 21 MME for a 22 (built after part change).
The contactor issue contributed to my decision. Originally was planning to keep both.

As long as you can sell/trade in higher than your cost, there's no financial loss, unlike before you always have a high loss especially when the car is relatively new.

If you still qualify for 23 tax credit, even better. You get another $7500 paid for by us :)

Southern92

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW i3
Country flag
I have to admit I have been thinking along the same lines. My 2022 GTPE was $70530 and if I order one now the 2023 version would be $77,930. (Plus interest rates are higher & incentives are $1,500 lower.
Counter balance, full $7,500 tax credit (point of sale - assumption), Dealer estimates I have $4-7k equity, HVBJB would be the beefier version.

(Edit: Oops, I believe point of sale starts in 2024?)

Last edited:

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
I would just drive your car, save the money and not worry about it. If it fails itā€™ll be repaired at no cost and youā€™ll probably get a loaner. I will file this under the classic Tom Petty lyric ā€œmost of the things we worry about never happen anyway.ā€

Jes sayin

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yeah, just drive it and if it fails, you get it replaced. Get the software though. That's the big deal. My HVJBC failed, but that's because I drive it like I stole it almost every day. It won't really be that likely to happen to you.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I can't imagine paying $2k out of pocket, but to each their own.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I would say if the insurance is worth it to you, the $2k noted makes waaaayyy more sense than trading in. You will likely lose more than that due to the price increases and likely at least partial tax credit loss.

That said, the number 1 reason I absolutely WOULD NOT do this is itā€™s way too early to even say what Ford did was the fix. Donā€™t misunderstand me on this, I believe it is the fix. For reasons Iā€™ve said in other threads that it does more harm to Ford to not be sure about this and to keep pumping out cars with the actual failure part. But thereā€™s also that aspect that Ford got it wrong the first time, are you thousands of dollars sure they got it right, now?

If you arenā€™t, I would give it at least another six months and watch for signs of ongoing issues with cars delivered since June. If nobody has any issues and youā€™re still worried, trade in then. At least you can feel better that they fixed it for sure and you will know how the tax credit changes have worked out.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Here's a thought - how about turning the problem on it's head - have the software fix done, then find a DCFC close to Ford dealership, charge, floor it repeatedly, repeat. Accelerate your timeline to the new HVBJB.

I'm only half kidding... :)

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I clicked, I saw, I LOLā€™d.

machme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GT
Country flag
I have the same MME config and build month as you. My HVBJB failed with SVS warning as I had the recall software. Was not left stranded but for 7 days and counting experiencing Fordā€™s stellar customer service. Currently not ETA on diagnosis and repair. No rental or loaner car which is being escalated. At some point as many have said I believe your HVBJB will fail. When itā€™s does you get a better one which should address your concerns. If however it makes financial sense to jump into a 2023, do it. I am waiting for my repairs and a calmer head after dealing with two dealerships to make my decision on a newer model.
A bright spot is before this issue everything worked with not a single problem.
Sponsored