Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, 66 Skylark
Occupation
Filmmaker, Video Freelancer
Country flag
I'm not sure I'd be anywhere near as interested in this car if it had another name other than Mustang. I really like most of what they did with the Mustang styling and having that name made it VERY CLEAR Ford was serious about making this car a winner. Some generic name and styling for the same car wouldn't mean I'd have no interest, but I doubt I would have anywhere near the passion to really want this car and put money down without ever even seeing it in person.

I think that Ford giving it the name and passion of Mustang absolutely put this car on the EV map like no other name could have done.
I am a GM guy, my wife leans Ford. We hold a First Edition reservation. Every time I’ve driven a Mustang, it’s been a lovely ride. If it meets expectations during the test drive, I’ll pull the trigger.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'd be hard pressed to find someone that would not have bought it if it had any other name than Mustang and yet there are a group that won't buy it because it's call a Mustang. Seems to me they are loosing more than they are gaining. In reality, why should anyone care what they call it. It should be bought or not bought on it's own merits. The whole discussion about the name is almost comical.
They have made EV's badged as fusion, c-max, focus, and even escape. None of them ever sold well, and were clearly viewed by both buyers and Ford as compliance vehicles. Putting a mustang badge on the MACH-E certainly reflects on how seriously they are about BEVs, and more importantly they have taken styling cues from the coupe that make this car just look so much better than an ordinary CUV.

As for loss/gain, there are far more people interested in a sporty CUV than a 2 door coupe - just look at the sales figures. Ford sold 830,000 SUV's last year despite the screwup with the Explorer, which means they sold almost as many SUV's per month as the annual total of mustangs (72000). Even if they could get every diehard V8 owner interested in an electric car, that is a minority of car buyers. The far bigger market are those who demand practical 4-door vehicles but want sporty and fun if they can get it - which a mustang CUV delivers.

I love mustangs and always have. The brand has to evolve to reality if it is to thrive. I'm saying this as someone who drove a mustang for 12 years with 2 elementary through high school aged kids.

B_Scott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Country flag
I had an '11 Mustang in Kona Blue, factory racing stripe and performance package. LOVED that car. But I live in the Northeast and it was awful in the snow and ice, and I have two huge dogs. Traded it for a '16 Explorer Platinum. Great SUV but it's not a Mustang. I put a deposit on a MACH-E GT last month. I'm convinced that electric is the future. I like the looks, features and the performance numbers. I think it will be a fun car to drive.

Dean Mach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport, 2016 Mini Cooper S
Country flag
They have made EV's badged as fusion, c-max, focus, and even escape. None of them ever sold well, and were clearly viewed by both buyers and Ford as compliance vehicles. Putting a mustang badge on the MACH-E certainly reflects on how seriously they are about BEVs, and more importantly they have taken styling cues from the coupe that make this car just look so much better than an ordinary CUV.

As for loss/gain, there are far more people interested in a sporty CUV than a 2 door coupe - just look at the sales figures. Ford sold 830,000 SUV's last year despite the screwup with the Explorer, which means they sold almost as many SUV's per month as the annual total of mustangs (72000). Even if they could get every diehard V8 owner interested in an electric car, that is a minority of car buyers. The far bigger market are those who demand practical 4-door vehicles but want sporty and fun if they can get it - which a mustang CUV delivers.

I love mustangs and always have. The brand has to evolve to reality if it is to thrive. I'm saying this as someone who drove a mustang for 12 years with 2 elementary through high school aged kids.
Everyone has their own opinion, but comparing a ground up design BEV to the Fusion, CMax, etc is really apple's to oranges IMHO. The Mach E is worlds ahead of them in styling and technology. I agree a lot more people nowadays are interested in SUVs than a 2 door sports coupe. Much more practical for the average buyer. My point was they could have lost more sales by calling it a Mustang than they gained. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I could care less what they called it. If it's not a great car, then I'm not buying it.

B_Scott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Country flag
Everyone has their own opinion, but comparing a ground up design BEV to the Fusion, CMax, etc is really apple's to oranges IMHO. The Mach E is worlds ahead of them in styling and technology. I agree a lot more people nowadays are interested in SUVs than a 2 door sports coupe. Much more practical for the average buyer. My point was they could have lost more sales by calling it a Mustang than they gained. I guess I'm in the minority here, but I could care less what they called it. If it's not a great car, then I'm not buying it.
Great point you make. I grew up with Chargers being a two door, and now they are four. The Corvette is now a midship engine. I don't see people rioting in the streets because of that. Things evolve and change. If th name bothers people then so be it. Bottom line is the car has to be superior to the competition.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I had an '11 Mustang in Kona Blue, factory racing stripe and performance package. LOVED that car. But I live in the Northeast and it was awful in the snow and ice, and I have two huge dogs. Traded it for a '16 Explorer Platinum. Great SUV but it's not a Mustang. I put a deposit on a MACH-E GT last month. I'm convinced that electric is the future. I like the looks, features and the performance numbers. I think it will be a fun car to drive.
Here's my '11 Kona Blue convertible with the Mustang Club of America Special Edition.
It was a great car, and I now have a reservation for the MME GT also -- I'll be going with a Grabber Blue GT Performance.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Traditional Mustangs and Mach-E Ownership fullsizeoutput_42d9

bjmsam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Toyota Rav4 V6, '10 Infiniti G37xS, Mach-E GT reserved
Country flag
My first was a 1966 Ford Mustang Coupe. It was my dream car growing up and I finally managed to buy one as a sophomore in college about 30 years ago. It was mostly stock and had a 289 cubic inch V8 engine with two barrel Holley carburator and glasspacks. I had the engine painted blue and the body restored and repainted the original color shortly before it was stolen from my apartment that same year (VIN 6F07C363813). This was one of life's hard lessons... ?

stang.jpg

After graduating, securing a career job, raising a family, and regaining the means to buy another Mustang comfortably, I ended up buying a Corvette Z06 instead. I enjoyed that experience for several years before test driving a Tesla Model S and reserving a Mach-E GT in hopes that it lives up to the hype, regardless of "Mustang" branding.

B_Scott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer
Country flag
the name doesn't bother me at all. BUT calling it a Galaxy would be cool. Galaxy E-GT or GT-E

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

The Escape Hybrid has limited supplies for the HVB battery and eCVT . These items were also expensive,. The limited supply also had to be shared by the Fusion models. Mercury also had their hybrid version and for one year, Mazda had a hybrid SUV.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My first Mustang was a 1965 coupe. It was a great little car. Have also driven as rentals some of the more recent convertibles (best feature--the top goes down) and the family had a 1971 Shelby GT 350 Mustang--now that was a car! Looking forward to my next Mustang, the Mach-E! It has been a while but I am excited about once again being a Mustang driver.

Daniel M

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mustang Mach E, 2020 Ford Edge
Country flag
My first car at 16 years old was a '65 Mustang. It was such a fun car to drive. We put a ton of work into it to keep it running and I put a ton of miles on it in the end of my HS years and through college. It wasn't in the best of shape for a full restore effort and sadly it just wasted a way little by little before my parents were able to sell it. This will be my 2nd Mustang, but I have had 2 F-150s and currently am driving a 2014 Explorer. I am very exciting to be driving a Mustang again, and glad that it has evolved for the future generations.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Not sure that this counts, but I had a red Mustang pedal car growing up, and I loved that thing. Of course, being me, I tore it apart and put it back together many times and wish i still had it. My dad retired from Ford and all I have owned is Fords.
I always wanted a Mustang, but school, life, and family got in the way. I would have bought this car no matter what as I have wanted an EV since Tesla came on the scene. This being a Mustang is like a dream come true.

I FINALLY get my second zero emissions Mustang after waiting more than 50 years! Maybe someday I can be lucky and add a convertible to the stable.

figmentsas

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang Eco Vert, 2021 MachE Premium ER-AWD
Country flag
I'm keeping my 2015 Ecoboost PP Convertible to go along with my Mach-E. Two different types of ponies in the driveway. Can't wait.
Sponsored