krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I was on a another forum. looking for a more hi-fidelity streaming experience. I started a 30 day trial with Tidal in the full HF mode. I think it sounds much better than SXM. Anybody else try it? I stream on BT wirelessly from my phone.
Sponsored

physib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
While I don't doubt that Tidal has higher audio fidelity than SXM, since you are streaming from Bluetooth, the audio quality is negated by the limited bandwidth.

jjhenry

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT, '69 Chevy C20, '99 Rodeo, '09 Vespa
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm a Tidal HiFi subscriber. I switched from Amazon to be able to get the Atmos mixes on my home theater. I don't have my Mach-E yet, nor Sirius anymore, so I can't comment on that comparison, but I think it makes sense in that you should be able to get a better bitrate stream from your phone than the satellite.

There is a stink over whether or not the MQA format Tidal uses lives up to its claims, but that's another can of worms. The UI isn't great, but I had issues with the other services too. In the car I use it over Android Auto and it works great.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
My mixtapes from the 80s are better than most of the SiriusXM satellite channels. They compress the heck out of them and you can hear the artifacts. Going through the SiriusXM app is better (although I’m still not sure of the quality of those streaming channels.) anyway, SiriusXM isn’t about an audiophile experience. It’s about curated casual listening. Now that Apple Music is moving to Dolby Atmos, there are several high quality streaming services to choose from.

SeattleMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Apple Music has added lossless and Spatial/Dolby Atmos at no additional cost to its current subscription pricing. That’s what I’m sticking with

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
While I don't doubt that Tidal has higher audio fidelity than SXM, since you are streaming from Bluetooth, the audio quality is negated by the limited bandwidth.
This. But, a decent streaming service over BT is still going to be a noticeable step up from SXM. I have Spotify premium, and download at reasonably high quality. My Spotify stream over BT sounds a lot better than SXM, and it doesn't drop at every underpass or parking garage. Wired sounds better yet, but not enough to make it worth the extra hassle for me, especially since I can only notice the difference between wired and BT when the car is stopped.
Sponsored