lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
Overview
I have a RWD Extended Range Premium Mach E.

This was a pretty hard test for the Mach E. We drove from suburban MD to the Bryce Ski Resort in Virginia, which was about 115 miles round trip. We did some local trips in Virginia (including going to a Wal Mart to charge). We had 5 people in the car – 4 adults and 1 child, and the trunk and frunk were packed with stuff for our ski trip. We rented skis so we didn’t have to worry about those, at least. The temperature varied from 20F to 35F. It was either cloudy or freezing rain.

Our total trip was 332 miles with 7 hours 30 minutes of driving time. We averaged 2.7 mi/kWh. 18% of the power went to climate use, 74% to the route, 4% to accessories, and 5% to ext temp.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip Report -- Ski weekend in the mountains with the Mach-E 1613424669366

Ice and mud. But mostly ice.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip Report -- Ski weekend in the mountains with the Mach-E 1613424705159

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip Report -- Ski weekend in the mountains with the Mach-E 1613424736378

Even with all the ice, everything on the car (doors, windows, motorized mirrors, etc) worked fine.
Comfort + Space
Everyone was comfortable on the trip. Those in the back seat were impressed with the shoulder room. Leg room was good too, although the center person had to deal with the air vents. He also snapped off the USB charger that was plugged into the center; probably best not to use the back USB ports if someone is going to sit in the middle.

We had to bring a lot of stuff on the trip. Due to COVID the condos weren’t providing blankets, so we had to bring those in addition to all the regular winter gear and food. The frunk came in especially handy on the way back – we took off muddy boots and snow pants and threw them up there.

One weird thing about the trunk – it holds more than you think. There’s the base of the trunk, and the last 3” are hard plastic. I assumed you couldn’t put stuff on that black plastic, but it turns out you can. That gave more room.

Self-Driving
The self-driving was amazing. I had it on for maybe 80% of the miles, and it did really well, even in the perpetual construction zone on I-66. Seriously – the car did a better job picking out where the lanes were supposed to go than I did in places. The adaptive cruise control was really smooth and made the traffic on 66 more bearable.

Charging
There was no practical way to charge at our condo (could have brought an extension cord and ran it out the kitchen window, but that seemed silly), so our plan was:

• Charge to 100% at home
  • Stop at the Wal-Mart in Woodstock VA, get a few final groceries, and charge at the EA chargers there
  • Drive around the ski resort for a few days.
  • On the way home, charge either at the Wal-Mart or at the Sheetz just north of I-66.
This basically worked, although we did a lot more driving around the resort than we expected. We hit up a free charger in Woodstock VA for a while and walked around in the freezing rain, but the only shop that was open was the ice cream parlor. Just what you want when it’s 30 and freezing rain!

The EA chargers were wonky. In theory you plug in, the car talks to the charger, and it just starts working. Not so much. One at Wal-Mart refuse to work at all. A second one kept shutting off after 5 to 10 minutes. The third worked fine. At Sheetz, the first two I tried didn’t work at all. I called support and they directed me to a slower (150kw) charger that worked recently. It worked with a credit card but refused to use the Ford App.

It turns out I didn’t even need to charge at Sheetz. I was at 49% with a displayed range of 89 miles (and it was about 95 miles home). I charged to 65%, and got home with the battery at 30%. But I’m glad I did – eliminated range anxiety or getting off of 66 to use one of the many chargers in NoVa.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip Report -- Ski weekend in the mountains with the Mach-E 1613424570480

This is what you're supposed to see when you plug in.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip Report -- Ski weekend in the mountains with the Mach-E 1613424586669

80% cliff. Was doing 80 kW at around 70% charge.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip Report -- Ski weekend in the mountains with the Mach-E 1613424609756

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip Report -- Ski weekend in the mountains with the Mach-E 1613424616926

The numbers on these screens don't always add up -- I usually hit 80% earlier than predicted.
Handling/Acceleration
The main interstates were not slippery, so I kept at or a little above the speed limit most of the time. The car isn’t the fastest, but when I needed to accelerate from 70 mph to 80 for a left merge, it was easy.

Handling on icy windy country roads was good too, even with the stock tires. Traction control only kicked in once or twice, and I didn’t have a problem giving too much torque to the rear wheels and spinning them.

1613424691850.png

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
This is great.....but I'd eat ice cream at any temperature.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Thanks for the report - glad it all worked out very well. I should say you are a brave man. With the issues reading here, I would have been concerned about getting stalled midway or at night. But your temps were not that low.

Nice to see positive experiences.

rickmendes

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Extended Range Space White
Occupation
Author
Country flag
Nice to finally see a report on a RWD version. Sounds like it held up well.

The charging challenges have been mentioned by a lot of YouTube people that are testing out non-Tesla chargers.

Earth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Country flag
Nice report, I bet you were a little worried about running out of charge!

MountainHomie

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD (Space White)
Country flag
Thank you for the informative write-up, I live in the area of your destination so very useful to me.

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium RWD Ext Range Infinite Blue 3/3/2021
Occupation
TV
Country flag
Overview

This was a pretty hard test for the Mach E. We drove from suburban MD to the Bryce Ski Resort in Virginia, which was about 115 miles round trip. We did some local trips in Virginia (including going to a Wal Mart to charge). We had 5 people in the car – 4 adults and 1 child, and the trunk and frunk were packed with stuff for our ski trip. We rented skis so we didn’t have to worry about those, at least. The temperature varied from 20F to 35F. It was either cloudy or freezing rain.

Our total trip was 332 miles with 7 hours 30 minutes of driving time. We averaged 2.7 mi/kWh. 18% of the power went to climate use, 74% to the route, 4% to accessories, and 5% to ext temp.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip Report -- Ski weekend in the mountains with the Mach-E 1613424691850

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip Report -- Ski weekend in the mountains with the Mach-E 1613424691850

Even with all the ice, everything on the car (doors, windows, motorized mirrors, etc) worked fine.
Comfort + Space
Everyone was comfortable on the trip. Those in the back seat were impressed with the shoulder room. Leg room was good too, although the center person had to deal with the air vents. He also snapped off the USB charger that was plugged into the center; probably best not to use the back USB ports if someone is going to sit in the middle.

We had to bring a lot of stuff on the trip. Due to COVID the condos weren’t providing blankets, so we had to bring those in addition to all the regular winter gear and food. The frunk came in especially handy on the way back – we took off muddy boots and snow pants and threw them up there.

One weird thing about the trunk – it holds more than you think. There’s the base of the trunk, and the last 3” are hard plastic. I assumed you couldn’t put stuff on that black plastic, but it turns out you can. That gave more room.

Self-Driving
The self-driving was amazing. I had it on for maybe 80% of the miles, and it did really well, even in the perpetual construction zone on I-66. Seriously – the car did a better job picking out where the lanes were supposed to go than I did in places. The adaptive cruise control was really smooth and made the traffic on 66 more bearable.

Charging
There was no practical way to charge at our condo (could have brought an extension cord and ran it out the kitchen window, but that seemed silly), so our plan was:

• Charge to 100% at home
  • Stop at the Wal-Mart in Woodstock VA, get a few final groceries, and charge at the EA chargers there
  • On the way home, charge either at the Wal-Mart or at the Sheetz just north of I-66.
This basically worked, although we did a lot more driving around the resort than we expected. We hit up a free charger in Woodstock VA for a while and walked around in the freezing rain, but the only shop that was open was the ice cream parlor. Just what you want when it’s 30 and freezing rain!

The EA chargers were wonky. In theory you plug in, the car talks to the charger, and it just starts working. Not so much. One at Wal-Mart refuse to work at all. A second one kept shutting off after 5 to 10 minutes. The third worked fine. At Sheetz, the first two I tried didn’t work at all. I called support and they directed me to a slower (150kw) charger that worked recently. It worked with a credit card but refused to use the Ford App.

It turns out I didn’t even need to charge at Sheetz. I was at 49% with a displayed range of 89 miles (and it was about 95 miles home). I charged to 65%, and got home with the battery at 30%. But I’m glad I did – eliminated range anxiety or getting off of 66 to use one of the many chargers in NoVa.

The numbers on these screens don't always add up -- I usually hit 80% earlier than predicted.
Handling/Acceleration
The main interstates were not slippery, so I kept at or a little above the speed limit most of the time. The car isn’t the fastest, but when I needed to accelerate from 70 mph to 80 for a left merge, it was easy.

Handling on icy windy country roads was good too, even with the stock tires. Traction control only kicked in once or twice, and I didn’t have a problem giving too much torque to the rear wheels and spinning them.

Great trip report, especially in these weather conditions. I've made that drive many times (from Arlington VA to ski country) and know it well. You're a brave soul to use self-driving mode along the I-66 construction zones -- I'm so glad to know it worked flawlessly through that gauntlet.

Very great stuff--- thanks again.

Hplbiking

First Name
Hugo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Emgineer
Country flag
Slight side note: I seem to recall somewhere to never use an extension cord to charge.

Rafgar

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE
Country flag
Very nice report and it sounds like you had a fun trip.

I have now made the drive twice from Fairfax to Arlington using I-66. Lots of construction with lanes shifting and, of course, the usual crazy traffic. Both times I have experimented with the Automated Cruise and it performed very well. It kept in the proper lane and would adjust speed as we approached other cars. I was not willing to take both hands off the wheel through the construction zones, but I did relax on the clear stretches.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Really nice write up. Glad to see your car performed well in cold temps.

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
Overview

Comfort + Space

Self-Driving

Charging

• Charge to 100% at home

Handling/Acceleration

1613424691850.png
Just to clarify, when you say self driving are you referring to the lane keep and automated cruise control?

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Just to clarify, when you say self driving are you referring to the lane keep and automated cruise control?
Yeah this confused me as well, I'm hoping you didn't take your hands off the wheel or anything during that 80% you were using self driving.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Overview

Comfort + Space

Self-Driving

Charging

• Charge to 100% at home

Handling/Acceleration

Awesome report! Thanks.