OP
OP

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
Yeah this confused me as well, I'm hoping you didn't take your hands off the wheel or anything during that 80% you were using self driving.
You can take your hands off the wheel for brief periods, but the car will nag you to put your hands back on the wheel.

Fun fact -- even with your hands on the wheel, it'll periodically nag you to put your hands on the wheel.
Sponsored

jcharnet

First Name
Joao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Overview
I have a RWD Extended Range Premium Mach E.

This was a pretty hard test for the Mach E. We drove from suburban MD to the Bryce Ski Resort in Virginia, which was about 115 miles round trip. We did some local trips in Virginia (including going to a Wal Mart to charge). We had 5 people in the car – 4 adults and 1 child, and the trunk and frunk were packed with stuff for our ski trip. We rented skis so we didn’t have to worry about those, at least. The temperature varied from 20F to 35F. It was either cloudy or freezing rain.

Our total trip was 332 miles with 7 hours 30 minutes of driving time. We averaged 2.7 mi/kWh. 18% of the power went to climate use, 74% to the route, 4% to accessories, and 5% to ext temp.

1613424669366.png

Ice and mud. But mostly ice.
1613424705159.png

1613424736378.png

Even with all the ice, everything on the car (doors, windows, motorized mirrors, etc) worked fine.
Comfort + Space
Everyone was comfortable on the trip. Those in the back seat were impressed with the shoulder room. Leg room was good too, although the center person had to deal with the air vents. He also snapped off the USB charger that was plugged into the center; probably best not to use the back USB ports if someone is going to sit in the middle.

We had to bring a lot of stuff on the trip. Due to COVID the condos weren’t providing blankets, so we had to bring those in addition to all the regular winter gear and food. The frunk came in especially handy on the way back – we took off muddy boots and snow pants and threw them up there.

One weird thing about the trunk – it holds more than you think. There’s the base of the trunk, and the last 3” are hard plastic. I assumed you couldn’t put stuff on that black plastic, but it turns out you can. That gave more room.

Self-Driving
The self-driving was amazing. I had it on for maybe 80% of the miles, and it did really well, even in the perpetual construction zone on I-66. Seriously – the car did a better job picking out where the lanes were supposed to go than I did in places. The adaptive cruise control was really smooth and made the traffic on 66 more bearable.

Charging
There was no practical way to charge at our condo (could have brought an extension cord and ran it out the kitchen window, but that seemed silly), so our plan was:

• Charge to 100% at home
  • Stop at the Wal-Mart in Woodstock VA, get a few final groceries, and charge at the EA chargers there
  • Drive around the ski resort for a few days.
  • On the way home, charge either at the Wal-Mart or at the Sheetz just north of I-66.
This basically worked, although we did a lot more driving around the resort than we expected. We hit up a free charger in Woodstock VA for a while and walked around in the freezing rain, but the only shop that was open was the ice cream parlor. Just what you want when it’s 30 and freezing rain!

The EA chargers were wonky. In theory you plug in, the car talks to the charger, and it just starts working. Not so much. One at Wal-Mart refuse to work at all. A second one kept shutting off after 5 to 10 minutes. The third worked fine. At Sheetz, the first two I tried didn’t work at all. I called support and they directed me to a slower (150kw) charger that worked recently. It worked with a credit card but refused to use the Ford App.

It turns out I didn’t even need to charge at Sheetz. I was at 49% with a displayed range of 89 miles (and it was about 95 miles home). I charged to 65%, and got home with the battery at 30%. But I’m glad I did – eliminated range anxiety or getting off of 66 to use one of the many chargers in NoVa.
1613424570480.png

This is what you're supposed to see when you plug in.

1613424586669.png

80% cliff. Was doing 80 kW at around 70% charge.

1613424609756.png

1613424616926.png

The numbers on these screens don't always add up -- I usually hit 80% earlier than predicted.
Handling/Acceleration
The main interstates were not slippery, so I kept at or a little above the speed limit most of the time. The car isn’t the fastest, but when I needed to accelerate from 70 mph to 80 for a left merge, it was easy.

Handling on icy windy country roads was good too, even with the stock tires. Traction control only kicked in once or twice, and I didn’t have a problem giving too much torque to the rear wheels and spinning them.

1613424691850.png
Great writing.
Did you use any Fast Charger (level 3)? If yes, do you need an adapter, or does it fit right out of the box?

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Great writing.
Did you use any Fast Charger (level 3)? If yes, do you need an adapter, or does it fit right out of the box?
Mach-E can DCFC (no such thing as Level 3 - there's AC Level 1 and 2, and DC Level 1 and 2, btw) without an adapter.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Basically everything that consumes a lot of power for any extended period of time will tell you not to use an extension cord. It's basically to limit liability because people will invariably use either undersized or worn out extension cords.
From an engineering point of view, no load will be able to tell if its electrons traveled through an extension cord or not, as long as it's properly sized and in good working order.

jcharnet

First Name
Joao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Mach-E can DCFC (no such thing as Level 3 - there's AC Level 1 and 2, and DC Level 1 and 2, btw) without an adapter.
Isn't DCFC considered level 3?
I was wondering if the DCFC plug, which is different from the J1772, will fit the Mach E without an adapter. I know the car supports this type of charging, but do we need an adapter?

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I was wondering if the DCFC plug, which is different from the J1772, will fit the Mach E without an adapter. I know the car supports this type of charging, but do we need an adapter?
There is no such thing as Level 3 charging.

The SAE J1772 defines AC Level 1 (120V) and AC Level 2 (240V) and DC Level 1 (up to 80A or 80 kW), and DC Level 2 (over 80A or 80 kW).

There is no adapter needed for DC charging, simply lower the cover on the DC pins and plug the connector in.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Technically, there is no such thing as level 3. Many people have taken to calling DCFC "level 3" because they are more familiar with AC level 1 and 2, and 3 is the natural progression. The DCFC connection is called CCS-1 here in the US, and it is basically a J1772 plug with 2 more connections underneath it. Those extra 2 connections are the DC power connections. Cars that accept that connector typically have a flap that covers the 2 extra pins when you're doing AC level 1 or 2 charging with a J1772, and you have to fold the flap down in order to plug in the larger CCS1 connector to DCFC. If a car doesn't have those extra pins under the J1772 it cannot accept DC charging and there is no adapter that will allow the car to accept DC power.

OP
OP

lotharik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, duh?
Country flag
Basically what Tim said.

The ElectrifyAmerica chargers were all CCS and they plug directly into the car. No adapter needed. And when the EA and Ford software is all working well, it starts charging within seconds after the charging station and car talk to each other. Super smooth...when it works.
Sponsored