Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
My third MME road trip was to Montreal, an old favorite destination. I went up to visit friends and go to an Electric Car Show at Olympic Stadium. I decided to try out Airbnb and stay at a residential neighborhood in Lachine. A big plus was a dual Level 2 EVSE located at the on-street parking nearby. EA recently opened DC Fast chargers at Walmart in Lebanon, NH. This made route planning a lot easier.

I started out with 85% SOC and had a nice trip up to Lebanon, NH. I usually have lunch at the Foothills of Warner, but it is permanently closed. I have refueled my past ICE vehicles near the EA location. I arrived with a SOC of 45%. I tried plug and charge on units 3, 4, and 1. I could not figure out how to plug in using unit 2. P&C did not work, so I activated unit 1 through the Fordpass app. I went to lunch at the nearby Panera Bread. The car had a SOC of 81% when I got back from lunch. I noticed someone working on the charger power cabinets as Plugshare comments mentioned unit 3 not working.

There was not much of a line at the border and I arrived at the Airbnb with a SOC of 24%. I was able to use the Flo card to activate the Circuit électrique EVSE the next day, while walking around Lachine. The session finished with a SOC of 85%.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip to La Belle Province AirBnbEVSE

I decided to grab a free parking space near Angrignon Park in LaSalle and used the Green Line to go up to Pie-IX station for the Electric Vehicle Show. The show was great.

The day before leaving I went back to walk around Angrignon Park. I used another Circuit électrique EVSE near a park entrance. The Flo Card worked, but charging halted at 1% added when I ran out of money on the card. I found out the card does not automatically transfer money to the card.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip to La Belle Province ParkCharger

I put more money on the card, but it took awhile before I could use a Circuit électrique EVSE again. I charged back at the Airbnb up to 86%.

The trip back was almost uneventful. I noticed lower efficiency of around 3.0 miles/kW. The interview at the US Border was mostly about the MME with just an "Anything to declare?" question at the end. There was a Chevy Bolt and another EV using Units 3 and 4 when I got to Lebanon, so I backed into Unit 1 again. What was weird was the cable did not reach this time! I ended up angle parking. I realized later that I could have parked in an adjacent spot on the backside of the charger. It appears possible to park in the next row of open spaces and plug in. I went to lunch again at Panera Bread while the SOC went from 17% to 80% in 40 minutes.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Trip to La Belle Province LebanonFC

I reached home with a SOC of 41%. The total trip was 671 miles with 3.5 miles/kW efficiency. Not a long trip, but I did learn a few things.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, at some EA stations the Mach E works better on the back side of the charger.

OP
OP
Eric_C_Boston

Eric_C_Boston

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E RWD ER
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
My local EA location has the units at the end of the parking spaces, so it is easy to plug in. From what I read on the EA website, the two plugs on the CCS only chargers are redundant. I noticed one of the cables is slightly longer on a few chargers, but otherwise they have about the same reach.

Looking on Plugshare, it seems a EA four side charger location follows a pattern with one charger at each of the four corners of a parking space. If I letter the parking spots left to right as A to D, only B would allow me to just pull in. I could back into A. I would have to pull into D and use the charger facing C, and back into C and use the charger facing D. That might explain why A and B at Lebanon was in use on my return trip.

I see comments that Lebanon can get full with EVs waiting. I can see a parking spot being unusable if you get a vehicle with the charge port in the "wrong" location.
Sponsored