Trouble getting Android Auto to work on your 2021 Mustang Mach E?

JohnSernyk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford CMax Energi
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Is anyone having trouble getting Android Auto to work on their 2021 Mustang Mach E?

I was not able to get Android Auto on my Pixel 5 (Android 11) to work wirelessly with my Mach E after I received it on January 27. And so I tried plugging my Pixel 5 into the USB port (I tried USB A and USB C) on the Mach E, but the phone would go immediately into a continuing reboot loop until I unplugged it.

So I tried with my previous phone, a Pixel 4 XL (Android 11) and I could not connect Android Auto wirelessly but initially I was able to get Android Auto to work when plugged into Mach E USB port. Then Android Auto on the Pixel 4 XL via USB connection stopped working too, going into a continuing reboot loop when connected to the Mach E via USB.

There has been an Android Auto update just prior to my receiving my Mach E which was already installed on my Pixel 5 but was not initially on my Pixel 4 XL as it had been turned off for a while. I believe that was why I get Android Auto to work with the Pixel 4 XL plugged into the USB port until it got that update.

I did some searching on the internet and owners of the 2021 Ford F-150 are also experiencing this problem.

I saw an article posted this morning that Ford and Google are aware of this issue and are working on solutions. Google will issue a workaround in their Android Auto 6.1 update which will be out in the next couple of weeks. And Ford will be issuing a fix as an update. It seems the issue is related to Android 11 and Sync 4. Check out the below article:

Android Auto 6.1 to Include Highly Anticipated Fix for Bug Caused by Android 11 - autoevolution
Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnSernyk

JohnSernyk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford CMax Energi
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Is anyone having trouble getting Android Auto to work on their 2021 Mustang Mach E?

I was not able to get Android Auto on my Pixel 5 (Android 11) to work wirelessly with my Mach E after I received it on January 27. And so I tried plugging my Pixel 5 into the USB port (I tried USB A and USB C) on the Mach E, but the phone would go immediately into a continuing reboot loop until I unplugged it.

So I tried with my previous phone, a Pixel 4 XL (Android 11) and I could not connect Android Auto wirelessly but initially I was able to get Android Auto to work when plugged into Mach E USB port. Then Android Auto on the Pixel 4 XL via USB connection stopped working too, going into a continuing reboot loop when connected to the Mach E via USB.

There has been an Android Auto update just prior to my receiving my Mach E which was already installed on my Pixel 5 but was not initially on my Pixel 4 XL as it had been turned off for a while. I believe that was why I get Android Auto to work with the Pixel 4 XL plugged into the USB port until it got that update.

I did some searching on the internet and owners of the 2021 Ford F-150 are also experiencing this problem.

I saw an article posted this morning that Ford and Google are aware of this issue and are working on solutions. Google will issue a workaround in their Android Auto 6.1 update which will be out in the next couple of weeks. And Ford will be issuing a fix as an update. It seems the issue is related to Android 11 and Sync 4. Check out the below article:

Android Auto 6.1 to Include Highly Anticipated Fix for Bug Caused by Android 11 - autoevolution
Update 2/10/2021:
I found a fix on Android Auto Help that allows you to connect your Android phone to Sync 4 on your 2021 Mach E (or F-150) via USB without the constantly restarting phone issue.

All you need to do is disable Chrome on your phone (Go into Settings/Apps and find Chrome). I just did this and was able to get Android Auto working on my Mach E via USB cable without he restarting phone issue. You may be able to get the same result by rolling back Chrome to an earlier version. I didn't try but it may work. If you do this and it works, remember to turn off auto update or your phone will just install the latest update again and the issue will occur again.

This will enable us to use Android Auto until Google releases Android Auto 6.1 which is supposed to get wireless Android Auto working on the Sync 4 2021 Mach E and F-150.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Update 2/10/2021:
I found a fix on Android Auto Help that allows you to connect your Android phone to Sync 4 on your 2021 Mach E (or F-150) via USB without the constantly restarting phone issue.

All you need to do is disable Chrome on your phone (Go into Settings/Apps and find Chrome). I just did this and was able to get Android Auto working on my Mach E via USB cable without he restarting phone issue. You may be able to get the same result by rolling back Chrome to an earlier version. I didn't try but it may work. If you do this and it works, remember to turn off auto update or your phone will just install the latest update again and the issue will occur again.

This will enable us to use Android Auto until Google releases Android Auto 6.1 which is supposed to get wireless Android Auto working on the Sync 4 2021 Mach E and F-150.
I tested out disabling Chrome and it worked. Or I should, then Android Auto worked.. Great short term fix until Google does an update.

W_L

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER RWD Infinite Blue
Country flag
Had an online chat with Ford support today and agent confirmed the following:

"Currently this is a known issue that Ford and Google are aware of and working to correct in an upcoming software update."

"Google is releasing an updated Android Auto app version 6.1 that reverts the latest change they made that broke the wireless connection to Sync.
Planned update is expected by Feb 22
."​

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX5 GT, 2019 Dodge Challenger SXTplus
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I cannot use AA. I tried disabling chrome and even reset the sync4a screen twice. All my phones can say they're connected to the Mach E Android auto but nothing happens when I select Android auto on the car. The weird thing is is it worked ONE time on my Moto g power and Samsung S7 so I know it should work but the s20 keeps rebooting over and over again whenever I plug in the USB cable. I sent it back to Samsung because there's apparently a bug with that phone and Android auto and it wasn't a cheap phone for not to work correctly. The 5G on it sucks too and I end up having to go back to LTE. Why do they keep making changes to software that ends up making things worse?

TheBluf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
Confirming that the latest update to Android Auto allows wireless Android Auto to work on the Mach E. Sideload the 6.1.6105 APK if you want it to work.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Confirming that the latest update to Android Auto allows wireless Android Auto to work on the Mach E. Sideload the 6.1.6105 APK if you want it to work.
What phone, that doesn't work for everyone (e.g. me and my unicorn phone MS Duo but then even paak doesn't work on my phone).

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
What phone, that doesn't work for everyone (e.g. me and my unicorn phone MS Duo but then even paak doesn't work on my phone).
I haven't been able to get PAAK working so I wonder if they're related. I'm thinking about going down to service but they don't know what they're doing either and I don't have a lot of time to keep driving down there for things.

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I uploaded the APK and while my phone recognized AA easier and again it shows the Mach E is connected in the AA phone settings nothing happens on the car screen. I have an iPad mini and I thought I'd see what happens when I connected to BT. While I can see it in the list of phones and was able to open up waze on the car screen I couldn't get carplay to work. It could be because it's an iPad and not an iPhone. my daughter is coming over later today and she's all in on Apple so I'll see what happens when I plug in her phone.

WildfireOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition
Country flag
With credit given to @Mach-E VLOG and @srogers on the other thread in the Issues subforum (and all those who helped on this thread), here's a consolidated and expanded summary of the the workarounds to this issue in the hope it can help someone out:

WIRED ANDROID AUTO:

Symptom: Android Auto (AA) reboots a phone when the USB cable is plugged in, and the phone keeps rebooting until it's unplugged.

Workaround: Uninstall the app Chrome. Reboot the phone, and then plug it in via USB when Ford Sync prompts you to upon AA setup.

Notes:
- To surf the web, install another browser like Firefox from the Play store.
- Advanced users can simply disable Chrome instead of uninstalling it.

WIRELESS ANDROID AUTO:

Symptom: Wireless Android Auto (WAA) does not project onto the Ford Sync screen despite selecting the phone to connect in an endless setup loop.

Workaround:
- setup Bluetooth pairing with your phone as you normally would
- then turn the vehicle off completely
- on your phone:
=get into Android Auto app settings (Settings>Apps>See all apps>Android Auto>Advanced>See additional settings)
=scroll down to Version and start tapping version until Developer settings unlocks (takes about 10 taps)
=in the three-dot options menu on the top right of the screen, select Developer settings
=in Developer settings, tap Clear all data, and then be sure to check "Add wireless projection to settings" and go back AA settings
=ensure that there's no previous cars listed in AA
=toggle on Wireless Android Auto
- start your vehicle and watch your phone pair with Bluetooth. Then using Ford Sync, go through AA setup (but don't use a USB cable to connect, tap the Connect icon of your paired phone on Ford Sync) and cross your fingers, your toes, and probably your eyes as well....

This is more detailed instructions than the following:
"In the meantime, one owner found a solution – delete all vehicles in the Android Auto app, turn off location, then go into the app settings and press Version 7-10 times. Next, press the three dots in developer settings, then check Add Wireless Projection to set it up. For several users, this has solved the problem, but in the meantime, we’ll be waiting for a proper solution."
Source:https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/s...ners-are-having-wireless-android-auto-issues/

-------

One drawback from WAA is that I cannot get mobile data access for my phone, as it's connected to the wireless projection wifi hotspot that Ford Sync generates for WAA utilization.

The other frustration is that WAA doesn't seem to get traffic data in Google Maps, and the Google Assistant is way slow.

Can anyone else confirm that traffic data is missing in Google Maps using WAA..?

Jayally

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Field Manager
Country flag
I was able to get my Moto G Power to connect to AA by trying and updating several things so I am not sure what made it finally work but following the instructions from Wildfireone I still cannot get it to use wirelessly even though that's an option available on my phone. I am happy at least progress was made today and when I plug in the cable AA works! I enjoy troubleshooting but sometimes it feels like I'm never going to get something to work so when I have success its very satisfying.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
With credit given to @Mach-E VLOG and @srogers on the other thread in the Issues subforum (and all those who helped on this thread), here's a consolidated and expanded summary of the the workarounds to this issue in the hope it can help someone out:

WIRED ANDROID AUTO:

Symptom: Android Auto (AA) reboots a phone when the USB cable is plugged in, and the phone keeps rebooting until it's unplugged.

Workaround: Uninstall the app Chrome. Reboot the phone, and then plug it in via USB when Ford Sync prompts you to upon AA setup.

Notes:
- To surf the web, install another browser like Firefox from the Play store.
- Advanced users can simply disable Chrome instead of uninstalling it.

WIRELESS ANDROID AUTO:

Symptom: Wireless Android Auto (WAA) does not project onto the Ford Sync screen despite selecting the phone to connect in an endless setup loop.

Workaround:
- setup Bluetooth pairing with your phone as you normally would
- then turn the vehicle off completely
- on your phone:
=get into Android Auto app settings (Settings>Apps>See all apps>Android Auto>Advanced>See additional settings)
=scroll down to Version and start tapping version until Developer settings unlocks (takes about 10 taps)
=in the three-dot options menu on the top right of the screen, select Developer settings
=in Developer settings, tap Clear all data, and then be sure to check "Add wireless projection to settings" and go back AA settings
=ensure that there's no previous cars listed in AA
=toggle on Wireless Android Auto
- start your vehicle and watch your phone pair with Bluetooth. Then using Ford Sync, go through AA setup (but don't use a USB cable to connect, tap the Connect icon of your paired phone on Ford Sync) and cross your fingers, your toes, and probably your eyes as well....

This is more detailed instructions than the following:
"In the meantime, one owner found a solution – delete all vehicles in the Android Auto app, turn off location, then go into the app settings and press Version 7-10 times. Next, press the three dots in developer settings, then check Add Wireless Projection to set it up. For several users, this has solved the problem, but in the meantime, we’ll be waiting for a proper solution."
Source:https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/s...ners-are-having-wireless-android-auto-issues/

-------

One drawback from WAA is that I cannot get mobile data access for my phone, as it's connected to the wireless projection wifi hotspot that Ford Sync generates for WAA utilization.

The other frustration is that WAA doesn't seem to get traffic data in Google Maps, and the Google Assistant is way slow.

Can anyone else confirm that traffic data is missing in Google Maps using WAA..?
This worked even on my unicorn MS Surface Duo.

Note that in Android the VLC app shows up in Android Auto hence you can play videos on the big screen ;)

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
This worked even on my unicorn MS Surface Duo.

Note that in Android the VLC app shows up in Android Auto hence you can play videos on the big screen ;)
Can you explain how that app works and how you can play videos on the big screen?
Sponsored