True cost to "fill up"? Has anyone computed it for themselves?

JackPearson

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
none
Country flag
Has anyone computed the cost it takes to charge a Mach-E?
How much does it cost per mile?
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
That depends on where and when you charge. My off peak rate is $0.05230. Same utility company has a plan with summer on peak rate of $0.24314. Wit 88 kWh battery full charge works out to $4.60. With estimated 270 mile range, that's less than 2 cents per mile. If you use public chargers, you'll pay more. If you have solar and don't count the investment cost, it may be free. So, it depends.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a flat rate of .07137 per KWH so at 88KWH battery my fill up cost from 0 to 100% would be $6.28. I use a Wallbox level 2 charger. Didn’t get my car yet but that is how it should all play out.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
Remember that there is efficiency loss, and on Level 2 is only about 85-90% efficient (depending on your amperage). So to charge 88 kWh into your battery actually takes about 98-103 kWh “from the wall.”

Clipper Creek (and I’m sure other connected models) actually report that “from the wall” figure.

I pay ~12¢ fixed rate here, so that’s about $12 per “full tank.” Still pretty cheap compared to gasoline.

EV Lab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME 4XE, Ford F-150, Honda Civic EV conversion
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Remember that there is efficiency loss, and on Level 2 is only about 85-90% efficient (depending on your amperage). So to charge 88 kWh into your battery actually takes about 98-103 kWh “from the wall.”

Clipper Creek (and I’m sure other connected models) actually report that “from the wall” figure.

I pay ~12¢ fixed rate here, so that’s about $12 per “full tank.” Still pretty cheap compared to gasoline.
To back this up, last night I charged 39.5kWh to the car, while the EVSE recorded 43.4kWh, so ~90% efficiency. This was at ~28A.

SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
My rate is around ÂŁ0.14 per kwh at home and at least double that when charging at a high speed charger away from home. So when charging away from home at a high speed charger it's getting close to the same price as petrol/gas!

I have an overnight rate of ÂŁ0.05 per kwh at home between 1am and 5am which should be sufficient for normal daily use.

Based the the overnight rate I can fill up (over the course of a few days) for ÂŁ5 approx which is the price of the mcdonalds meal I've just had! Or around the price of a starbucks large coffee or a very cheap bottle of wine from my local shop! A trivial cost!

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
To date, I have put 3,200 miles on the Smurfmobile, while paying precisely $0.00 for electricity to charge it. I have access to 4 free Level 2 chargers at work, 2 free Level 2 chargers about a mile from my house, and a free Level 3 charger about 8 miles from my house. I haven’t even touched the free 500 kWh that Ford gave me yet. I’m saving those for a road trip to Colorado later this summer.

I am going to put in either a Ford Connected Charger or a Chargepoint HomeFlex this summer so I can precondition the cabin during the colder months, but for now, I’m not seeing a reason to rush forward on it.

Yes, I am aware that all this makes me an outlier on the charging matrix, but I am enjoying no fuel costs for now.

Last edited:

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
As mentioned by several, it is so dependent on your electrical rates that your numbers are meaningless for the next person. Not all that different than efficiency numbers, which will also affect the cost per mile. The electrical rate numbers are just usually more variable.

The simple rule is to divide the cost/kWh by 3, which represents an efficiency of 3 miles/kWh. My charging rate is $.09/kWh. So if the efficiency is 3 miles/kWh, about $.03/mile.

That's just an estimate. For a more precise estimate use your cost per kWh and your efficiency in miles/kWh, and then multiply the resulting cost number by 1.1 to account for charging losses (the efficiency number is from battery to wheels and your actual cost will be wall to wheels).

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I have a flat rate of .07137 per KWH so at 88KWH battery my fill up cost from 0 to 100% would be $6.28. I use a Wallbox level 2 charger. Didn’t get my car yet but that is how it should all play out.
Are you including taxes, transmission & distribution charges, mandated program funding, etc? Or just the "supply" charge? I take my total bill and divide by the kWh used to determine my per unit cost, then multiply by 88, then add 10% for inefficiencies in the charging process at my home.

14 cents x 88 kWh = $12.32. Plus 10% = $13.55. About 5 cents per mile.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The losses can be estimated from the published carb results "Recharge Event Energy (kiloWatt-hours) 101.2" 15%

After that it is multipling 2 numbers together your electricity cost 0.085 $/KW x 101.2 KW = $8.60 for 400 Km. My old truck would be about $50.00 for that range. So 83% saving in energy cost.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are you including taxes, transmission & distribution charges, mandated program funding, etc? Or just the "supply" charge? I take my total bill and divide by the kWh used to determine my per unit cost, then multiply by 88, then add 10% for inefficiencies in the charging process at my home.

14 cents x 88 kWh = $13.55. About 5 cents per mile.
Good point! When you add all the charges (distribution charges, Transmission charges and Total generation) and divide by KWH used it come out to more like .1379 per KWH. which mean at 88KWH battery to fill it full from 0-100% would cost $12.13
Sponsored