Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! Screenshot 2021-04-05 121043
Sponsored

Last edited:

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
I doubt that your garage door set off your under bumper sensor. I have an Escape with that same feature and that has never happened. My clearance is actually a little less than yours.

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
I doubt that your garage door set off your under bumper sensor. I have an Escape with that same feature and that has never happened. My clearance is actually a little less than yours.
I agree, because it is really hard to open the trunk sometimes by waving your foot under it, I was trying to explain it to myself what could have happened. That is the best I can come up with. I don't want this to happen when your parked at the store. I am sending this to ford so they know.

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Ugh, that sucks. Is it possible that your dog ran under the bumper?
He tends to stay clear of the cars. I had music going and did not acutally see it happen, so I am not sure. But I know I did not hit any button.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
He tends to stay clear of the cars. I had music going and did not acutally see it happen, so I am not sure. But I know I did not hit any button.
I don't remember who, but somebody did post a surveillance video on here a while back of their trunk opening all by itself in the garage in the middle of the night. So it's not unheard of. I only leave a few inches of clearance between the back of my car and the closed garage door, so I really hope mine never does that.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The first thing I did when I got home was to reset the opening height. I learned that lesson the hard way with my Escape.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I don't remember who, but somebody did post a surveillance video on here a while back of their trunk opening all by itself in the garage in the middle of the night. So it's not unheard of. I only leave a few inches of clearance between the back of my car and the closed garage door, so I really hope mine never does that.
That probably isn’t a bad scenario, as long as the tailgate doesn’t strike metal hardware, and you have the presence of mind to catch it before opening the garage door!

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! Screenshot 2021-04-05 121043
My wife claimed the tailgate opened as well and like you it hit our garage door but did no damage.

You can program the tailgate's lift height and I recommend you do that! It's very easy to program how much the tailgate will lift up...

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
That won't help if the garage door is closed.
Yeah I missed the garage door was still closed part! I guess we'll have to program the tailgate to only open 3 inches then!!! :rolleyes: