Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

Cuddlecool

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Professional education
Country flag
I don't remember who, but somebody did post a surveillance video on here a while back of their trunk opening all by itself in the garage in the middle of the night. So it's not unheard of. I only leave a few inches of clearance between the back of my car and the closed garage door, so I really hope mine never does that.
Mine does this. I've come out into the garage in the morning three or four times in the past year and the tailgate was open. Spooky.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Set the opening height or you will regret it!

WNKent

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1 4X
Occupation
Airline
Country flag
I'm glad I chose CaRt1 with no power lift gate. I have it on my Cherokee and I obviously use it, but have always worried that It would open inside the garage. First world problems. 🤷‍♂️

George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Prius; 2011 Subaru Outback; 2021 Mustang Mach
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I truly doubt the trunk just randomly opened by itself. The garage door closing won't cause that - something had to go under it while you had your PAAK or fob close enough to the trunk.

I've been hit in the face by Expedition liftgates multiple times when trying to hook a trailer up to them. Me hooking up the chains it thinks is me kicking my foot underneath. Eventually maybe I'll learn to be more cautious. I also have had it almost close on my head before.
===========================

For those who have doubted that this could have happened to this owner, and randomly speculating that "something had to go under it" (dog, etc.) or "someone might have accidentally triggered it," I need to chime in and say those assumptions are 100% incorrect, and it absolutely is the case that the rear tailgate CAN open without any form of human, dog, etc. intervention. Our rear gate opened up against the garage door hinge (just as the original poster stated) and left a nasty and deep cut through all layers of paint. My wife and I were standing on the far side of garage doing something unrelated to the car (we were at least 15 feet away); there is no dog, neither of us use a key fob, and our phones (PAAK) were in our pockets and were not open/active. We watched as we heard the Mach-E trunk raise, and then press so hard into the garage door that it bowed out the garage door. No sensors "saw" the garage door, and upon impact the lift-gate did NOT close itself. It remained, stuck against the garage door, and as a previous owner stated, it was not easy breaking it loose. Yes, we can disable the tail-gate's auto-lift, but that is a significant feature we paid for, and have had on other vehicles. It is SO handy when hands are full and we can't put grocery bags on a wet ground while we manually open the lift-gate. I added a similar "cushion" to my garage door hinge, however it occurred to me that there is a HUGE issue that could potentially occur if the tail-gate opens while we are away (driving our other vehicle). If the Mustang's tailgate lifts by itself while we are gone, and we come home and raise the garage door from the other vehicle, IMAGINE the damages that will almost certainly occur with both the lift-gate and the garage door itself as it tries to force its way open with the tailgate wedged firmly up against the garage door !!

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I echo the concerns of many on this forum. I disabled this feature out to avoid denting the hatch or the paint on my brand new car. I also padded the garage door just in case. This is the first car with this function and would absolutely would like to use it, knowing that I have minimal risk of damaging a very expensive vehicle.

I see Ford chimed in on the video posted of the hatch opening on it own. That is just a start but retroactive and not proactive. This video is absolute proof that there is a problem. I would hope that there is no fighting with the dealer that there is no issue and it must be so something else. Ford should be looking into this as a bug to fix globally, not just a one off fix as customer complain or provide proof.

I do not like that fact that I have a feature that I am afraid to use it. Yes, I think fear is the best word to describe the feeling of not wanting to damage the car, pay for the repair and have to spend time trying to get the issue resolved (let alone trying to get compensated for the damage). There is also the fear that the hatch will open on its own while I am away from the car. Image parking it at the airport for a long weekend and the car hatch is open for 2, 3, or 4 days (theft, rain, snow, etc.). Come back from a great vacation and Harvey/Harriet the homeless person is living in your car.

I certainly hope that Ford is listening and watching this thread to solve this problem and build back confidence in their product. I absolutely love my car and would not trade it for any current car on the market. However, my affinity for the car does not reduce my desire for the car to perform as adverstised and without flaws nor does it aliviate Ford from their responsiblity to deliver the car as advertised, free of defects and to fix know and documented issues. To me, the latter is my point of this post and the resonding shout out to Ford.

macherider

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X 2021
Country flag
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! Garage_Inside_2022-06-07T09_40_55-0700
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! Garage_Inside_2022-06-07T09_40_55-0700
I'm always afraid it opens on its own in car wash...

JuliaSWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE Nite Pony
Country flag
My hatch opened randomly on Friday evening when I pressed the back passenger door button. I pressed it twice - the first time it didn’t work and the door stayed closed. The button was lit up so it should’ve responded. the second time it worked, but it popped the door and the hatch at the same time. Husband was right behind the hatch and almost got hit by it. Car wasn’t on, only the had a PAAK in the garage. Very surprised that the hatch opened with someone so close to it.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Mine has done this about 3-4 times (and I have the paint damage from the garage door hardware to prove it). I can’t set the opening height low enough to avoid striking the garage door (I have a very small garage). It’s not PAAK being used as it’s always happened at night, when I’m asleep, and there’s nobody else in my home. And I don’t have pets or “critters” that could have triggered it.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
I do not like that fact that I have a feature that I am afraid to use it.
I see you have a 22'. I thought all 22's doesn't have active liftgate where you swipe with you foot to open? Or there was a cutoff job 1 and job 2 22' right?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I see you have a 22'. I thought all 22's doesn't have active liftgate where you swipe with you foot to open? Or there was a cutoff job 1 and job 2 22' right?
It’s never been proven that this glitch is related to hands-free operation. Most have just assumed that to be related.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
It’s never been proven that this glitch is related to hands-free operation. Most have just assumed that to be related.
I second that comment. I believe I read that other have turned off or do not have the hands free, yet the liftgate still opened. Either way, I am not taking the chance. Body work is too expensive. I had a semi small scrape on my fender flare fixed and that was $1000. A dent in the tailgate will be much more.

PilotMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Moke, FRS, Prius, FJR, 1966 Shelby Mustang
Country flag
Totally bogus FAKE NEWS. My trunk has never just popped open.
OH Wait I don't have my MME yet.

Seriously thanks for sharing.
I was smart enough to know that before I parked in the garage I would set the limit of how high it could open. Never thought about when the garage door was closed how close you should or shouldn't be.

I'll be figuring out if the distance is enough and or put some soft cover over where the back hatch would hit the garage door.

Thanks for sharing.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Mine has done this about 3-4 times (and I have the paint damage from the garage door hardware to prove it). I can’t set the opening height low enough to avoid striking the garage door (I have a very small garage). It’s not PAAK being used as it’s always happened at night, when I’m asleep, and there’s nobody else in my home. And I don’t have pets or “critters” that could have triggered it.
I just don't see how this could happen? When you walk away from the car with the key-fob in your pocket, my Mach-E GTPE always locks. There's no way for a garage critter to open the car by running under the bumper...because it's locked until I get close to it again with my fob. Do you have auto-lock turned off in the menu's?
Sponsored