Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I just don't see how this could happen? When you walk away from the car with the key-fob in your pocket, my Mach-E GTPE always locks. There's no way for a garage critter to open the car by running under the bumper...because it's locked until I get close to it again with my fob. Do you have auto-lock turned off in the menu's?
Walk away locking is turned on and works fine. As I said, there arenā€™t any ā€œcrittersā€ in my home. I do not own any pets.
Sponsored

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Walk away locking is turned on and works fine. As I said, there arenā€™t any ā€œcrittersā€ in my home. I do not own any pets.
I have no pets in my garage. But it's common for mice/squirrels/rats/chipmunks to seek shelter in garages.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I just don't see how this could happen?
Watch my video above it does happen. Ford is looking into this but suggested I go to the dealer. I'm sure they will just keep it a few days and say they can't reproduce. I've had the car over a year and it only occurred this one time.

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 121043.jpg
Ugh that stinks. Can the kick sensor? feature be turned off by the way? I would have zero use for it, and would not want your situation to happenā€¦

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Ugh that stinks. Can the kick sensor? feature be turned off by the way? I would have zero use for it, and would not want your situation to happenā€¦
Yes it can but when it occurred for me nothing was kicking. It's hard enough for a successful kick to open with PaaK. Kick to open only works ~75% of the time with PaaK. Another subject but lately PaaK has been very flaky at getting the doors to open. For the last 4-5 months PaaK was working great but recently it just $ucks.

ElectrifyME

First Name
Carrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes it can but when it occurred for me nothing was kicking. It's hard enough for a successful kick to open with PaaK. Kick to open only works ~75% of the time with PaaK. Another subject but lately PaaK has been very flaky at getting the doors to open. For the last 4-5 months PaaK was working great but recently it just $ucks.
Sounds similar to the charge port door opening in a carwash. Sorry to hear about the PAAK ! Sounds frustrating.

NJ_MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E Select RWD wComfort/Tech, '16 Honda Fit
Country flag
I don't even have kick to open (MY22) and this happened to me. Though I can't absolutely guarantee it wasn't an accidental pocket open via the key fob. I've been known to trigger the panic alarm by accident before. Perhaps it's time for me to not carry the key around in my pocket...

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Mine has done this about 3-4 times (and I have the paint damage from the garage door hardware to prove it). I canā€™t set the opening height low enough to avoid striking the garage door (I have a very small garage). Itā€™s not PAAK being used as itā€™s always happened at night, when Iā€™m asleep, and thereā€™s nobody else in my home. And I donā€™t have pets or ā€œcrittersā€ that could have triggered it.

Then the only explanation is youre a sleep walker and you walk or turn to your FOB and press the the button twice and go back to sleep lol.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't even have kick to open (MY22) and this happened to me. Though I can't absolutely guarantee it wasn't an accidental pocket open via the key fob. I've been known to trigger the panic alarm by accident before. Perhaps it's time for me to not carry the key around in my pocket...

That is why they designed it to be pressed twice in succession. Yea it may get hit with something in your pocket or it gets pressed by an external force. But twice in a row is rare. Right?

NJ_MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E Select RWD wComfort/Tech, '16 Honda Fit
Country flag
That is why they designed it to be pressed twice in succession. Yea it may get hit with something in your pocket or it gets pressed by an external force. But twice in a row is rare. Right?
I would think so. But given my experience with the panic alarm and the fact this happened at a time that I think the key was in my pocket, I'm not sure I can speak with as much authority as others who've had this issue. That said, I'm definitely going to be monitoring things more carefully going forward...

I will say I've sometimes had issues where the hatch opening mechanism has seemingly not recognized my key fob and it can take several tries to open the hatch. I wonder if hours/days later these seemingly unsuccessful hatch openings eventually get processed by the car?

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a poll to get some data. My garage space is tight in the front and back. So yea that hatch opening because of a glitch would suck. If this all just operator error then thats that. That would be annoying me always having to disable -able the switch in the settings whenever entering and leaving the garage.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I second that comment. I believe I read that other have turned off or do not have the hands free, yet the liftgate still opened. Either way, I am not taking the chance. Body work is too expensive. I had a semi small scrape on my fender flare fixed and that was $1000. A dent in the tailgate will be much more.

Could also be PAAK connected/active in a pocket and the screen is not timeout accidentally pressing the lifgate icon/button. A glitch in PAAK...using the phone doing other things.

My PAAK stopped working two weeks after i got the car. Tried many times to get it back online. I only really like it for the remote start anyway.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
For me I did not have a fob and currently don't use one. I did have my phone in my hand as I might be able to tell in the video. The screen was locked, FP open and the cover was closed on the phone case.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Then the only explanation is youre a sleep walker and you walk or turn to your FOB and press the the button twice and go back to sleep lol.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Iā€™ll try Moon Knightā€™s solution šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€
Sponsored