Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I would take it to the dealer. What good is a great feature if you have to disable it. Find a good dealer and have them fix it.
They will probably blame the tow hitch I installed. And that could be the reason it doesn't work reliability. I don't know because the hitch is one of the first things I did to my car, so I never had time to fully test KtO.
Sponsored

RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE AWD Space White Metallic
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This is disturbing. I traded a 2020 Mazda CX-5 for my Mach-E. On 3 occasions the back hatch opened on its own (on the CX-5), once was in the garage and I didn't notice when I opened the garage door and ended up with a ding in the door from the garage door, very irritating. The other two times it happened while I was in a store. I came out and the back was wide open. I took it to Mazda service and they told me "it's impossible for the back to open unless you hit the FOB button." and wouldn't even look at it. The last time it happened was 2 weeks ago, and that's when I decided it was time to move on to another vehicle.

Dad Bod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GTPE, 2016 Lexus CT200h
Country flag
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 121043.jpg

You're not alone. The same thing happened to me so I added foam rubber bumper guards to the garage door in case it happens again. /facepalm

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! Garage Bumper

Garage Wall Protector, 4 Pack Garage Car Door Protector Bumper Guard for Car Doors Anti-Collision Waterproof Inflaming Ultra Self Adhesive EVA Foam for Warehouse Parking Assist(1.18x3.93x11.8 inches) (amazon.com)

ecmme

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3
Country flag
Installed the foam guards from Amazon that were suggested earlier in this thread. The adhesive is quite sticky. The metal that was contacting my hatch is circled.

door-3.png

door-2.png

door-1.png

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is so hilarious.

I am doing some stuff in my garage, and I walked around the MME, and the hatch opened. Not only that, the car unlocked. I looked at my phone to see if FordPass was open, but no. Still, what command is needed to simultaneously unlock my car and open the hatch?

I closed the hatch and went about my other tasks. The car re-locked itself.

I still love my car. Is it irrational?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to say about this but I think I can say that tomorrow they are going to start swapping my entire trunk to send my old one back to their lab to figure out why this is happening.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to say about this but I think I can say that tomorrow they are going to start swapping my entire trunk to send my old one back to their lab to figure out why this is happening.
Frunk, or hatch?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Trunk/back hatch
The hatch can be opened without unlocking the car. So if it is just the hatch opening on it's own, the car would not unlock. Tonight when my hatch opened, the car unlocked and then then hatch opened.

You can see the blinking lights as if I hit the unlock button on a fob and then simultaneously hit the hatch open button. There is definitely an unlock command being sent or received based on what happened to me tonight.

PaaK is active on my phone. And my phone was in my pocket. I don't think it is coincidence it happened when I was walking by the car with the phone in my pocket. In fact, that is probably what happened the first time my hatch opened the week after I got my car, putting a gash in the hatch.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
The hatch can be opened without unlocking the car. So if it is just the hatch opening on it's own, the car would not unlock. Tonight when my hatch opened, the car unlocked and then then hatch opened.

You can see the blinking lights as if I hit the unlock button on a fob and then simultaneously hit the hatch open button. There is definitely an unlock command being sent or received based on what happened to me tonight.

PaaK is active on my phone. And my phone was in my pocket. I don't think it is coincidence it happened when I was walking by the car with the phone in my pocket. In fact, that is probably what happened the first time my hatch opened the week after I got my car, putting a gash in the hatch.
Ford thinks they know why it's happening and it has nothing to do with PaaK or fobs. But in order for it to happen one of the two has to be in range. It won't happen if you are out of range of the car.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford thinks they know why it's happening and it has nothing to do with PaaK or fobs. But in order for it to happen one of the two has to be in range. It won't happen if you are out of range of the car.
Cool. It is a very, very intermittent problem. It has been a year since my hatch last opened on its own. And tonight it did it again.

I turned kick-to-open back on a few weeks ago. I am beginning to think it is more than a coincidence. I need to turn it off again.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
This is so hilarious.

I am doing some stuff in my garage, and I walked around the MME, and the hatch opened. Not only that, the car unlocked. I looked at my phone to see if FordPass was open, but no. Still, what command is needed to simultaneously unlock my car and open the hatch?

I closed the hatch and went about my other tasks. The car re-locked itself.

I still love my car. Is it irrational?
Hahah. If my can am wasn’t in the way of my camera I’d have a few of mine opening when I slip by it on the floor adjusting the shocks. But the best was when it closed on my hand while I’m on the floor… If I could return day I could go back and at least get the clip of the handcuffs closing on me, audio file is probably all that’s needed. ‘Aww f! Damn it let go’
It really doesn’t need a kick to trigger it, I’ve done it laying down behind the tire, sideways. Head behind the tire body out past the side of the car.

I’ve found the safe spot to park in to not hit the garage door with the hatch.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Maybe I should hang my fob on the garage door overnight and see if it takes the bait...

So I walked back and forth behind my car about 50x in all forms normal and silly, and could only get it to trigger with John Cleese-level silly walks. Mine is very picky apparently...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! CautiousDependableArmyworm-size_restricted

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Cool. It is a very, very intermittent problem. It has been a year since my hatch last opened on its own. And tonight it did it again.

I turned kick-to-open back on a few weeks ago. I am beginning to think it is more than a coincidence. I need to turn it off again.
I turned off the kick feature and was so freaked when an update I flashed turned it on again that I modified my config in forscan to remove the option and the toggle.

I've never had a phantom open because I've always kept the kick feature off. I think Ford completely screwed up in tuning or testing the feature, costing people in this thread alone lots of money in hatch dents.
Sponsored