Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

MParkour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 RR Mustang GT 2017 Tacoma 2021 RR MME FE
Country flag
My garage isnt attached to the house so i have to enter from the garage door. If mine were to open in the middle of the night I wouldnt know until the garage door damages mine. Fingers crossed mine never does
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Have you now reset the opening height lower to prevent that from happening again?
It was not a problem with the opening height, that remains set correctly. The trunk opened on its own with the garage door closed. I know a good body guy, he said he can buff it out. I will be hanging some foam on that garage bracket.

All this makes you wonder, will the car stop if the traffic is stopped, what if that they there was a glitch and the car did not stop. It is hard to trust all the automation if it is marginally reliable. Still love the car though, just mad I have to deal with this. And if it happened 8 months from now I would probably leave it.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
I think I will put some foam on the garage door so the trunk will be protected
Ha, that is what I was going to say but you thought of it first.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
It was not a problem with the opening height, that remains set correctly. The trunk opened on its own with the garage door closed. I know a good body guy, he said he can buff it out. I will be hanging some foam on that garage bracket.

All this makes you wonder, will the car stop if the traffic is stopped, what if that they there was a glitch and the car did not stop. It is hard to trust all the automation if it is marginally reliable. Still love the car though, just mad I have to deal with this. And if it happened 8 months from now I would probably leave it.
I don't trust the automation to control the car either. It is only there for if it happens to function when I fail.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag

I always keep a tube of Meguire's Scratch-X 2 in my trunk, as well as a microfiber cloth. Put a dollop of the Scratch-X on the cloth, rub the scratch with your finger, and the mark will go away (it's a mild rubbing compound). Available at any autoparts store.

gnaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Damn that sucks but IMO it should not have happened. The trunk has a sensor that is supposed to stop it in case of obstacles in the way: I know mine does that.

Did you change a setting to prevent that from happening?

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Damn that sucks but IMO it should not have happened. The trunk has a sensor that is supposed to stop it in case of obstacles in the way: I know mine does that.

Did you change a setting to prevent that from happening?
it did stop but there is metal bracket on the garage door that it hit and made that mark

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
I always keep a tube of Meguire's Scratch-X 2 in my trunk, as well as a microfiber cloth. Put a dollop of the Scratch-X on the cloth, rub the scratch with your finger, and the mark will go away (it's a mild rubbing compound). Available at any autoparts store.
I will check that out, but I think my body guy wil have it covered possibly using the same thing :)

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 121043.jpg
Are you sure your dog didn't crawl under the car triggering the trunk sensor.
My little dog likes to make a few rounds arounds car when we arrive to the garage.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Luckily I was near the car and caught mine opening before it hit the garage door. I adjusted the height, but may turn off the hands free opening until I actually need it (yea, when I need it I’ll complain to myself for turning it off.)

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Are you sure your dog didn't crawl under the car triggering the trunk sensor.
My little dog likes to make a few rounds arounds car when we arrive to the garage.
I pretty sure he did not, as he was mostly annoying me working out. Regardless the phone was 5 feet away, It is funny that a lot of times I have a hard time for the car to see the phone as I walk up I have to take it out or make sure the app is on. And now it does all that and the phone is not even near it. it defenitely feels liek a glitch but what do I know it may never happen again.

Just ironic. I always worry when that first scratch will happen, it did, so now I can relax. :)

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
I just realized that I have a camera in the garage and I tracked down the footage and it was definitely not the dog. As you can see (around 11 sec mark) the grage goes down and as soon as it hits the floor the trunk opens. SO I really think it is the under the bumper senser and possible the play of light and shadow that created this circumstance. I still dont understand why the car was unlocked for this to happen. Even in general use during the day, when I walk near the car with the phone the lights come un but the mirrors don't fold outward to show it is unlocked and yet yesterday with the phone 5-6 feet away it was unlocked.. ANyway foam is installed

Attachments

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
SO I really think it is the under the bumper senser and possible the play of light and shadow that created this circumstance. I still dont understand why the car was unlocked for this to happen. Even in general use during the day, when I walk near the car with the phone the lights come un but the mirrors don't fold outward to show it is unlocked and yet yesterday with the phone 5-6 feet away it was unlocked..
Good sleuthing! Seems like the most likely possibility. The manual does say that things like hoses or splashing water can trigger the hatch opening, so you have to think light could do this as well.

If the MME is connected to the PAAK and you are walking away I don't think the MME locks immediately. I usually hear it lock after I'm in the house. The hatch should open with a leg kick if the MME is still connected to the PAA. The manual says this happens at 3 feet but given how radio waves travel this has to be an approximation, and you don't know from where this three feet is being measured.

I wasn't able to play the MP4 file for some reason but you must not have any clearance between the MME and the garage door. The hatch opens more or less straight up. I don't see any way to turn this feature off which could be an alternative.

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Good sleuthing! Seems like the most likely possibility. The manual does say that things like hoses or splashing water can trigger the hatch opening, so you have to think light could do this as well.

If the MME is connected to the PAAK and you are walking away I don't think the MME locks immediately. I usually hear it lock after I'm in the house. The hatch should open with a leg kick if the MME is still connected to the PAA. The manual says this happens at 3 feet but given how radio waves travel this has to be an approximation, and you don't know from where this three feet is being measured.

I wasn't able to play the MP4 file for some reason but you must not have any clearance between the MME and the garage door. The hatch opens more or less straight up. I don't see any way to turn this feature off which could be an alternative.
I agree with you, and yes I did find a way to turn it off but I like the feature. I changed the video to M4V maybe that plays.
Sponsored