Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I agree with you, and yes I did find a way to turn it off but I like the feature. I changed the video to M4V maybe that plays.
I agree, looks like the shadow of the light triggered the trunk.
Sponsored

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
Damn that sucks but IMO it should not have happened. The trunk has a sensor that is supposed to stop it in case of obstacles in the way: I know mine does that.

Did you change a setting to prevent that from happening?
I'm not aware of any Fords having a sensor to stop the hatch from opening. I'm guessing the kick sensor just triggered off of a change in lighting or something.

Using the fob instead of PAAK and leaving the fob away from the car except when you intend to use the car is probably the safest way to prevent this.

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Damn that sucks but IMO it should not have happened. The trunk has a sensor that is supposed to stop it in case of obstacles in the way: I know mine does that.

Did you change a setting to prevent that from happening?
I think the trunk has a sensor when it hits something it will stop which it did. What it hit just happend to be a metal bracket from the garage door. But I fixed it see below. Now just polishing out he scratches. Again 8 months from now probably would not care.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! IMG_5527

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I truly doubt the trunk just randomly opened by itself. The garage door closing won't cause that - something had to go under it while you had your PAAK or fob close enough to the trunk.

I've been hit in the face by Expedition liftgates multiple times when trying to hook a trailer up to them. Me hooking up the chains it thinks is me kicking my foot underneath. Eventually maybe I'll learn to be more cautious. I also have had it almost close on my head before.

ncmagus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Select, AWD
Country flag
I did have some problem with the liftgate too !
The first evening I got the car, it was sleeping in the garage, door closed. I don't have any pet. I went in the garage to play with some settings, and I found an open liftgate. I had a lot of trouble closing the damn door! (pushing the button, the door shut down, and reopen right away). Might have took me 4-5 try to actually get it closed.

Then, later in the week end, I was closing the garage door when suddenly the liftgate choose to open.
Personally, i disabled the feature and I doubt I will reactivate it in the following years ...

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
I did have some problem with the liftgate too !
The first evening I got the car, it was sleeping in the garage, door closed. I don't have any pet. I went in the garage to play with some settings, and I found an open liftgate. I had a lot of trouble closing the damn door! (pushing the button, the door shut down, and reopen right away). Might have took me 4-5 try to actually get it closed.

Then, later in the week end, I was closing the garage door when suddenly the liftgate choose to open.
Personally, i disabled the feature and I doubt I will reactivate it in the following years ...
I think I may do the same just to have piece of mind. I don't want it to open when I am out and about. For a smart car it sure does dumb things. :)

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Man, sorry this happened to you. I'd be sick to my stomach if this happened to my car. Thinking about turning off the foot sensor now.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I think the trunk has a sensor when it hits something it will stop which it did. What it hit just happend to be a metal bracket from the garage door. But I fixed it see below. Now just polishing out he scratches. Again 8 months from now probably would not care.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! IMG_5527
That looks like a good idea. I might order some foam pads from Amazon (https://amzn.to/2Q35D44) to do it. I almost ordered them already because the doors come really close to the wall but I didn't think I needed the 4 pack. But I might put a couple on the wall and a couple on the garage door just in case.

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag
It was not a problem with the opening height, that remains set correctly. The trunk opened on its own with the garage door closed. I know a good body guy, he said he can buff it out. I will be hanging some foam on that garage bracket.

All this makes you wonder, will the car stop if the traffic is stopped, what if that they there was a glitch and the car did not stop. It is hard to trust all the automation if it is marginally reliable. Still love the car though, just mad I have to deal with this. And if it happened 8 months from now I would probably leave it.
I mean the most likely thing is your dog went under the bumper and the tailgate opened, like it's supposed to when something moves underneath the back.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I think it was either Edges or Explorers at one point had an issue that just walking by the car would cause the back to open. There was a TSB for it. It seems like it was too sensitive and just movement close to the back bumper would trigger it.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
For a smart car it sure does dumb things. :)
Great line. Made me laugh. However if the MME is off and the fob/PAAK isn't nearby then it won't open.

That looks like a good idea. I might order some foam pads from Amazon
So it was really the hands-free lift gate and you made up the whole story about the hit and run? (Sorry for the gallows humor).

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Last edited:

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Great line. Made me laugh. However if the MME is off and the fob/PAAK isn't nearby then it won't open.

So it was really the hands-free lift gate and you made up the whole story about the hit and run? (Sorry for the gallows humor).
I appreciate gallows humor. One of my favorite songs is actually Gallow's Disco by itchy-O. ??

OP
OP
Dafstang

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Quick update. Talked to my friend with the body shop and he told me the scratch is too deep he would have to repaint the trunk. So screw that, In about two months I won't even notice so it is all about acceptance now. Still showing the dealership on monday, as they asked me to come so they can do a diagnosis as they said this should not have happened. ( I sent them the video)I did order a touch up kit for the Star White so maybe I can reduce some of it.

Last edited: