Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
You can limit how far up the lift gate goes. I have mine set so it can’t hit the garage door mechanism regardless of why it opens. If you want it opened further, you can simply push it open at that time.
Sponsored

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
You could turn SecuriAlert on so you would know the exact time it opened. That might help narrow down the cause. It would also give you peace of mind that it wasn't opening when you're out in public.
I have it on at night. That’s how I knew it opened the first time. Yesterday when it happened I didn’t have it active.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can limit how far up the lift gate goes. I have mine set so it can’t hit the garage door mechanism regardless of why it opens. If you want it opened further, you can simply push it open at that time.
Ya I have mine set so the garage door can open and close with the lift gate open and it won’t hit. The issue others have had is their garage isn’t deep enough to pull in so the liftgate can open without hitting the garage door. It’s not always a matter of height.

Mjtee2

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White Premium; Rapid Red First Edition
Country flag
Long story but it happened again to our Space White MME (one of two with same problem) that has already sustained $1,700 damage (repaint of whole lift gate) due to spontaneous opening while in the garage. Tried to get Ford to address damage. No luck! Also, tried our insurance carrier, State Farm, and they will only pay for half.

Field a report with the NHTSA because of safety implications but have not heard anything back.

in order to get recognition of this serious issue, please report this to Ford and your dealer and file a report with the NHTSA!

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine opened while I was cleaning the rear glass,
Mine has popped while washing the car. I say popped, because it doesn’t open all the way. Just unlatches.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The issue others have had is their garage isn’t deep enough to pull in so the liftgate can open without hitting the garage door. It’s not always a matter of height.
I hadn’t considered that as my MME is in the smallest parking bay in the garage and clears the door . Good point.

Last edited:

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hadn’t considered that as my MME is in the smallest parking bay in the garage. Good point.
Yeah. I mean I’m lucky to have a deep enough garage. I didn't always pull all the way in, but you bet I do now.

slambertr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
Just happened to me. I heard a noise in our garage and went downstairs to find the back hatch had opened on its own.
- Garage door was closed.
- I did not open the hatch.
- I only have 1 key fob.
- I was not using the FordPass app.
I wish I would have seen this thread before and lowered my liftgate height. Instead I've got a nice new scratch. Ugh. And Grrrr.....

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Just happened to me. I heard a noise in our garage and went downstairs to find the back hatch had opened on its own.
- I only have 1 key fob.
I wish I would have seen this thread before and lowered my liftgate height. Instead I've got a nice new scratch. Ugh. And Grrrr.....
Was your car locked in the garage?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
- I only have 1 key fob.
I’m sorry that happened. Were you near the car? I know you weren’t in the garage, but were you close at all?

slambertr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
I’m sorry that happened. Were you near the car? I know you weren’t in the garage, but were you close at all?
I was in my office (above the garage) - so my phone could have been in range (but I was not using it. FordPass was open on my phone but not in use).

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was in my office (above the garage) - so my phone could have been in range (but I was not using it. FordPass was open on my phone but not in use).
Ok that sounds exactly like what happened to me. My car was locked though. I was above it in my living room.

I’m wondering if the kick sensor detects something, a glitch, and because the phone or key are in range, it opens.

Seems like a significant bug that needs to be fixed.
Sponsored