Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My dog has opened mine a couple times. If you carry the fob, the alarm button or the tail gate button can be pushed.
Sponsored

Mjtee2

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White Premium; Rapid Red First Edition
Country flag
Just got off the phone with a Ford Customer “Service“ Representative. She informed me that Ford will not cover any damage done to one of our Mach E’s as a result of the rear lift gate openIng on it’s own in our garage. The reason she gave was that “the dealer could not duplicate it”! She would also not address the more important safety issue of potential injury to passersby (I have 2 year old grandsons). In addition, she would not connect me with a supervisor: “She/he is going to tell you the same thing”.

I have already filed a safety concern with the NHTSA and because this a major safety issue, I will prepare to follow the steps required to enact the Lemon Law for both of our Mach E’s as both have had several spontaneous lift gate openings. We will also be contacting our local TV Consumer Reporters and will post a warning on Facebook.

We are extremely disappointed in the Ford Company and how this has been handled. If this happens or has happened with your Mach E, please report it.

Kanaz

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.

Screenshot 2021-04-05 121043.jpg
Ugh - I just got my MME GT last week. The other morning went onto my garage, pressed to open the garage door, and it stopped. I looked and saw the MME lift gate was opened. At some point it opened on its own in the garage and was resting against the door, when I opened it, the metal screw head certainly screwed my paint! I am pissed. No pets, it’s always locked with walk away set… put a small dent and one serious deep impact

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Ugh - I just got my MME GT last week. The other morning went onto my garage, pressed to open the garage door, and it stopped. I looked and saw the MME lift gate was opened. At some point it opened on its own in the garage and was resting against the door, when I opened it, the metal screw head certainly screwed my paint! I am pissed. No pets, it’s always locked with walk away set… put a small dent and one serious deep impact
I’m so sorry. Definitely reach out to @Ford Motor Company about this. They are responsive on here. At this point I think this will be a recall.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I had the open trunk issue last Friday. Scratched the paint.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had the open trunk issue last Friday. Scratched the paint.
Question for both of you @Chuck @Kanaz . If you know, we’re you in PAAK range when the liftgate opened? For me it happened when I was in the living room which is above my garage. So the car could have thought it was in range.

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
I have parking bumpers installed on my garage floor so I know when to stop. Made sure where I stop is far enough from the door that the door can go up and down without it hitting the open hatch. My bumper is 8-10” from the closed door brace. A very small sacrifice of space for peace of mind.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Question for both of you @Chuck @Kanaz . If you know, we’re you in PAAK range when the liftgate opened? For me it happened when I was in the living room which is above my garage. So the car could have thought it was in range.
No. My phone was at the other end of the house on the second floor.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No. My phone was at the other end of the house on the second floor.
Damn, that blows my theory that something is faulty with the kick sensor and because a key is in range it opens. Either way, I disabled my kick to open after the second time it opened on its own in my garage.

Kanaz

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag

possibly close for sure as we are in a townhouse

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
No. Paak was at the other end of the house on the second floor.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
My hatch opened on its own Saturday night. I didn't even notice until Sunday morning when I walked by a window and saw it was open. I checked the Ring and it popped open around 10pm that night. Luckily no one decided to take a look around, and as far as I know, no critters got in there.

My car is parked in my driveway, FOB is about 40 feet from the car, so I am thinking maybe because our living room is closer, PaaK caused it to open when a cat ran under my car at some point.

But I also had an odd thing happen in a parking lot a few months ago, I'd close the hatch, get in the car, and the hatch would open right back up. It did this a few times before it finally stayed closed. So I can't say for sure it was my PaaK + critter that caused this to happen Saturday night, or a Ford glitch.

Regardless, I decided to disable the kick to open functionality on the hatch -- I use it and like it, but I use it maybe 2 or 3 times a month, so if that's the trade-off to not having it just sit open all night long, so be it.

It would be nice if the app could send a notification telling us the hatch has been open for xx minutes since this seems to be an issue. Thank goodness mine wasn't in a garage when it happened, I'd be really pissed if any damage occurred.

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
This. In fact sometimes it won’t even work with phone in pocket and standing right in front of it, actively kicking at it. There is a very limited range for the kick sensor/tailgate.
What I've been trying to explain is that the foot sensor range is much shorter than the general keyless entry range. I set my phone on the hood and the foot sensor would not work. Although I found that the range isn't as short as the manual says when the phone is at the rear of the car. You could do some testing to see what functions work when you have your phone/fob in the locations they would've been when the unwanted opening occurred.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
My hatch opened on its own Saturday night. I didn't even notice until Sunday morning when I walked by a window and saw it was open. I checked the Ring and it popped open around 10pm that night. Luckily no one decided to take a look around, and as far as I know, no critters got in there.

My car is parked in my driveway, FOB is about 40 feet from the car, so I am thinking maybe because our living room is closer, PaaK caused it to open when a cat ran under my car at some point.

But I also had an odd thing happen in a parking lot a few months ago, I'd close the hatch, get in the car, and the hatch would open right back up. It did this a few times before it finally stayed closed. So I can't say for sure it was my PaaK + critter that caused this to happen Saturday night, or a Ford glitch.

Regardless, I decided to disable the kick to open functionality on the hatch -- I use it and like it, but I use it maybe 2 or 3 times a month, so if that's the trade-off to not having it just sit open all night long, so be it.

It would be nice if the app could send a notification telling us the hatch has been open for xx minutes since this seems to be an issue. Thank goodness mine wasn't in a garage when it happened, I'd be really pissed if any damage occurred.
SecuriAlert will notify you when the hatch opens.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
SecuriAlert will notify you when the hatch opens.
Wouldn't it be nice if the 1.4 update that added this feature actually added it?
Sponsored