Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
It would be nice if the app could send a notification telling us the hatch has been open
If you enable Secure Alert it will notify you. I have mine scheduled to go on every night, that’s how I knew it opened the first time.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
My car is kept Pristine inside the garage. The garage door clearence to the back of the car is about 5 inches. I was working out using the TRX app on the phone near the car. The garage door was open during my workout. At some point I closed the grage door because my dog came in. After a while I looked and realized my trunk looked wedged open. It had opened on its own without me hitting any button. I can only speculate that since my phone was close to the car that when the garage door closed the sensor underneath the bumper picked up the movement and opened the trunk. Which I will turn off moving forward (and I like that feature). Just annoyed, I am sure someone can buff out these scratches but I just don't want to deal with it.
I literally have had my car for one day and I have already had this happen to me!!! And it is a big gouge. In my case, I was opening the garage door to go out, as I walked behind the car it sensed me and opened. But because the garage door was opening I could not hear the rear hatch opening, and didn't notice until I turned around and the hatch was wedged against a screw on the door. Arrrrggg!!!! I immediately turned off the kick to open feature. It is WAY too sensitive.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! 1636510890353

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I literally have had my car for one day and I have already had this happen to me!!! And it is a big gouge. In my case, I was opening the garage door to go out, as I walked behind the car it sensed me and opened. But because the garage door was opening I could not hear the rear hatch opening, and didn't notice until I turned around and the hatch was wedged against a screw on the door. Arrrrggg!!!! I immediately turned off the kick to open feature. It is WAY too sensitive.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! 1636510890353
That's horrible! I read this thread before I got my car and actually had a nightmare that this happened to me. I turned off the kick feature before I left the dealer parking lot, and I've also put foam adhesive pieces around all of the metal portions of my garage door hinges.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's horrible! I read this thread before I got my car and actually had a nightmare that this happened to me. I turned off the kick feature before I left the dealer parking lot, and I've also put foam adhesive pieces around all of the metal portions of my garage door hinges.
You did the right thing. I really wish I had done that. I also read this thread prior to getting my car and even tested the hatch - but that was with the door closed, not open. I was going to turn off the hands-free option but had not done it yet. I really had no idea the kick sensor is so sensitive. Just dragging the charging cord under the car set it off.

Anyone else reading this: do what @scoopman did!

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You did the right thing. I really wish I had done that. I also read this thread prior to getting my car and even tested the hatch - but that was with the door closed, not open. I was going to turn off the hands-free option but had not done it yet. I really had no idea the kick sensor is so sensitive. Just dragging the charging cord under the car set it off.

Anyone else reading this: do what @scoopman did!
BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DEALER LOT, TURN OFF THIS TOGGLE if you ever plan to park your car in a garage where the hatch may hit the door if it opens:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! IMG_20211110_090056_2

Mjtee2

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White Premium; Rapid Red First Edition
Country flag
This is total BS. Ford reuses to address this issue and it has happened to both of our Mach E’s! Our one Mach E has $1,700 worth of damage to the rear lift gate as a result of spontaneous opening and contact with our garage door.

Last edited:

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This is total BS. Ford reuses to address this issue and it has happened to both of our Mach E’s! Our one Mach E has $1,700 worth of damage to the rear lift gate as a result of spontaneous opening and contact with our garage door. What the hell!!!
Yikes you didn't turn off the "feature" after the first time this happened?

Mjtee2

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White Premium; Rapid Red First Edition
Country flag
This is total BS. Ford reuses to address this issue and it has happened to both of our Mach E’s! Our one Mach E has $1,700 worth of damage to the rear lift gate as a result of spontaneous opening and contact with our garage door. What the hell!!!
Unfortunately, as far as I know, it has not been determined that the cause is a faulty sensor. Also, it has not been able to be duplicated on demand in a Service Department. That said, I suspect that it may somehow be related to “Phone as a Key” (PaaK).

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Faulty kick sensor
The sensor might not be faulty, it could just be very sensitive. I turned my kick to open feature off after I damaged my hatch on the garage door by just walking behind the car. I think a small movement could cause it to open if the car thinks you are near. While I understand why Ford made it easy to open, as it would be frustrating trying to find the right place to kick, it is way too sensitive IMO. Walking behind the car should not cause the hatch to open.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
The sensor might not be faulty, it could just be very sensitive.
Ok, but it opening with nothing under the car would seem to be fault though. I think the sensitivity level could be turned down a bunch.

Biggus Dickus

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Must GT PP2, 18 Focus RS, 21 GTPE, 20 Escape,
Country flag
BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DEALER LOT, TURN OFF THIS TOGGLE if you ever plan to park your car in a garage where the hatch may hit the door if it opens:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! IMG_20211110_090056_2
I assume when the "switch" is to the left it is off?

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Y'all...pad your garage doors.
Sponsored