Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
How did you get stuck with the rental/gas fees
According to the dealership, the first 60 days, only 10 were covered by Ford. For the second 15 days Ford only covered 4.

I'm at about $3,500 in rentals and gas now and it's going back in for a third attempt next week, so I'm sure that number will continue to grow.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I probably posted this before, but Kick to Open (KtO) is so unreliable that I hurt myself swinging my foot around under the bumper trying to get get it to open. It opens in it's own more often than I can get it to open with my foot intentionally.

Recently I turned it on for a couple days to give it another try, but no, it still sucks. And when it is turned off, my hatch does not open on its own. So KtO is going to remain off and I won't need to worry about the hatch opening on its own either.

BTW, I do have a tow hitch installed so it is possible the hitch is interfering with the KtO sensor. Others without a tow hitch seem to be able to use KtO reliability and without shin bruises.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
BTW, I do have a tow hitch installed so it is possible the hitch is interfering with the KtO sensor. Others without a tow hitch seem to be able to use KtO reliability and without shin bruises.
No Hitch and KtO is like slow motion soccer in reply. It $ucks.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Ok so here's the latest update... I just got the car back, again, and this time Ford sent an Engineer (apparently a Felid Engineer) to the dealership to help them a little. It's flat out amazing the notes of this repair order. I'm not sure if I want to laugh or cry...

Things to note:
  • I haven't tested the vehicle for additional water intrusion yet.
  • The switch assembly is not for the steering wheel, it's the tailgate switch
  • The dealership tested the car with water profusely and gave me the car back full of water spots from their testing. Thanks for not washing it /s.
  • The notes confirm Ford's suspicion, which I previously mentioned, that this is being caused by moisture.
  • I'm out another $320 in rental fees and $145 in gas for 5 days of a rental.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! 1686424543393

Ford Mustang Mach-E Trunk opened on its own and hit the garage door... Come on Ford!!! 1686424563993

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
So today my trunk spontaneously opened while I was walking towards it after work. I happened to be opening the FordPass app on my phone at the exact time it happened. Car hasn’t been wet for weeks, so really seems like a software bug, especially since FordPass was loading when it occurred.

Humblest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium AWD ER; '21 Mini SE (EV)
Country flag
A few weeks ago when I opened my garage door I found that the lift gate was already opened. Thought that perhaps I had hit the button on the fob without realizing it. After reading these, maybe not.

It cost $1800 to repair the damage. (Insurance company paid most of it.) To fix it right, the lift gate was removed, partially disassembled, sanded, primed, painted, reassembled, reinstalled, then the radar sensors had to be recalibrated. I hadn't realized that there were rear radar sensors, but it makes sense for obstacle detection in reverse.

So ... I'd like to speak with a manager?

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
A few weeks ago when I opened my garage door I found that the lift gate was already opened. Thought that perhaps I had hit the button on the fob without realizing it. After reading these, maybe not.

It cost $1800 to repair the damage. (Insurance company paid most of it.) To fix it right, the lift gate was removed, partially disassembled, sanded, primed, painted, reassembled, reinstalled, then the radar sensors had to be recalibrated. I hadn't realized that there were rear radar sensors, but it makes sense for obstacle detection in reverse.

So ... I'd like to speak with a manager?
Open a case with the BEV team. I had video proof. My MME is getting the damage fixed this week.

Humblest

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium AWD ER; '21 Mini SE (EV)
Country flag
Open a case with the BEV team. I had video proof. My MME is getting the damage fixed this week.
Tried reaching out. After almost an hour in chat this was the conclusion:

After reviewing my resources, there are no warranties or programs in effect that would provide coverage of your current concern. I recommend that you keep your receipts in case Ford initiates a program in the future based on your situation, Michael.​

I didn't witness the lift gate open, so I have no evidence that it was spontaneous. I'll keep checking the TSB list to see if anything shows up.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Tried reaching out. After almost an hour in chat this was the conclusion:

After reviewing my resources, there are no warranties or programs in effect that would provide coverage of your current concern. I recommend that you keep your receipts in case Ford initiates a program in the future based on your situation, Michael.​

I didn't witness the lift gate open, so I have no evidence that it was spontaneous. I'll keep checking the TSB list to see if anything shows up.
You might try calling and speaking to a live agent so they can open a case. There are only a few BEV reps. I have worked with three of them over the last year and have had mostly excellent outcomes. I still hate my MME in a few ways and the dealership experience at my closest is terrible. The Ford BEV team has done a great job.

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER / AWD Built 12/21
Country flag
I believe I posted in this group before a video of mine opening itself. Well it happened again today. I open the rear door to put my work bag in and the rear hatch opened up on its own... Got to love these little quirks,

buzzhays

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
Hi there! Would you privately message us with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this opening trunk concern on my end? Thank you!
I just had this happen to my '21 MachE GT in my driveway during a major rainstorm. The button wouldn't close the lift gate so I had to do it manually. I was finally able to get the button working again after opening the lift gate from my phone.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I just had this happen to my '21 MachE GT in my driveway during a major rainstorm. The button wouldn't close the lift gate so I had to do it manually. I was finally able to get the button working again after opening the lift gate from my phone.
My biggest fear was always that it would happen outside in the rain!

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
I hadn't realized that there were rear radar sensors, but it makes sense for obstacle detection in reverse.
probably also for lane changes during BlueCruise, they probably need to know if someone is coming up fast in the lane you're trying to change into.
Sponsored