Sci/Eng
Country flag
If you were just charging your Mach-E and got these error messages:
  • Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power
  • High-Voltage Battery Warning
  • Service vehicle soon
  • Stop safely now
  • Charge fault
Please follow the steps below to reset your car before taking it to your dealer. The EVSE/charger you were using may have cause this error.

Powertrain / High Voltage Reset:

Perform steps exactly in this order.
  1. Unplug the charger from the vehicle.
  2. Turn OFF the vehicle completely.
  3. Open and close the driver's door.
  4. All screens should go black.
  5. Do not open or close any doors during the waiting period. You may sit inside the car if you don't touch anything.
  6. WAIT A MINIMUM OF 5 MINUTES with the car unplugged and completely off (10 min recommended).
  7. Press the brake and start the car. Observe if any error messages are still present in the instrument cluster after restarting.
If the error messages are gone, then they were likely a glitch caused by a charging fault, try again. You only need to take your car to the dealer if the "Service Vehicle Soon" message persists after the reset procedure was carried out correctly.

Second Charging Attempt:
  1. Start the car and verify no error messages are shown on the display (see above for reset).
  2. Authorize the charger if necessary (DC or public charging).
  3. Insert the charger plug FULLY until it CLICKS with a firm push.
  4. Immediately observe the charging indicator ring lights and verify they light up BLUE and begin pulsing.
  5. If the indicator lights do not light up blue or turn RED, there is still a problem with the charging station or your car.
  6. Move the car to a different charger, perform the above powertrain reset procedure again, and try charging again.
NOTE: The vehicle must be reset after each failed charging attempt that generates a powertrain fault.

Explanation: Certain charging stations or EVSEs can produce errors that cause the Mach-E to enter a "HV battery disabled" state. This state can only be cleared if the vehicle is unplugged and completely powered down for at least 5 minutes. These errors may be caused by a faulty EVSE, incompatible DC charging station, an incomplete plug connection, or failed HV components on the Mach-E. Fiddling with the gear shift knob without pressing the brake pedal can also cause a powertrain fault if you have outdated gear shifter software.

The fault could be with a particular EVSE, it may have a communication issue that requires a firmware update or replacement to solve. An OBCC module update may be required from your dealer to solve DC charging station compatibility issues.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ragequit310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Country flag
"Certain charging stations or EVSEs can produce errors that cause the Mach-E to enter a "HV battery disabled" state".

Thank you for the write up. It's pretty interesting. A similar thing happened to me and I took it into the dealer. Why is it only MachE cars that have powertrain faults when plugged into "certain charging stations or EVSEs"? At some point this becomes a MachE problem rather than a charging station problem.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Why is it only MachE cars that have powertrain faults when plugged into "certain charging stations or EVSEs"? At some point this becomes a MachE problem rather than a charging station problem.
Correct, the fault handing on some of these errors isn't very good. The reset procedure is a workaround until the software can become more fault tolerant. I have suspicions 4.x software may be causing some kind of new charging glitch with a subset of EVSEs since there has been a sudden uptick in faults.

Suspected trigger EVSEs:
-Autel MaxiCharger (old firmware)
-ChargePoint public L2 stations

Last edited:

ragequit310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Country flag
Correct, the fault handing on some of these errors isn't very good. The reset procedure is a workaround until the software can become more fault tolerant. I have suspicions 4.x software may be causing some kind of new charging glitch with a subset of EVSEs since there has been a sudden uptick in faults.

Suspected trigger EVSEs:
If this is the case (that it's a software bug) then I feel like this is even more reason to lemon. Charging is core feature of an electric car. I've owned electric cars for 7 years and I never experienced anything like this before.

This should have never been a bug. Does Ford even have a QA team?

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag

Suspected trigger EVSEs:
I’ve had the same exact thing happen twice now, both times on the same L2 ChargePoint charger at work. I avoid that particular charger now and no faults since. Thanks to the forum when it occurred I knew not to freak out and that this was likely a bug. Everything has been fine since, no continued SVS or anything.

Last edited:

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This happened to me. I looked at my Autel EVSE app per @Mach-Lee suggestion and noticed that the Autel was 2 updates behind.

I upgraded software and car charged perfectly over night.

my problem started when I received the 4.2.2 OTA update. I am guessing there was a conflict but once Autel was updated issue has seemed to go away.

my next step is to find out why Autel didn’t upgrade automatically.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This happened to me recently and I sort of followed the process and got it to clear. I am pretty sure my OTA version was 3.6.2 at the time, but it might have been 4.2.1.

In any case, over 16 months of charging and then I get my first charge fault and red warning LEDs. At the time I thought, "here it is, finally my HVBJB is failing". But no. Ever since that day, no charging issues at all.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
This happened to me recently and I sort of followed the process and got it to clear. I am pretty sure my OTA version was 3.6.2 at the time, but it might have been 4.2.1.

In any case, over 16 months of charging and then I get my first charge fault and red warning LEDs. At the time I thought, "here it is, finally my HVBJB is failing". But no. Ever since that day, no charging issues at all.
You need to beat on it more Mike. đŸ€ȘđŸ©

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
"Certain charging stations or EVSEs can produce errors that cause the Mach-E to enter a "HV battery disabled" state".

Thank you for the write up. It's pretty interesting. A similar thing happened to me and I took it into the dealer. Why is it only MachE cars that have powertrain faults when plugged into "certain charging stations or EVSEs"? At some point this becomes a MachE problem rather than a charging station problem.
My son's Audi E-Tron also began to have similar problems this Winter when he started using his newly installed Grizzl-E Duo Level 2 garage charger.

He took the car under warranty to Audi. Audi tech updated the charger management software in the E-Tron, and said (perhaps pertinent in this thread) that the recent proliferation of EVSEs made by diverse companies has caused Audi to upgrade their car charger management software to better deal with slight EVSE variances.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Interesting. I guess I won’t plug into the CP’s I have around campus.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
If this is the case (that it's a software bug) then I feel like this is even more reason to lemon. Charging is core feature of an electric car. I've owned electric cars for 7 years and I never experienced anything like this before.

This should have never been a bug. Does Ford even have a QA team?
I think you’re trying to unfairly fault Ford for a “Microsoft universe” problem.

What do I mean by that? For a long time, Apple fanboys (such as myself) have whined that “Microsoft sux “ because their software is unstable and doesn’t work with “the Xin Hui scanner/blender/dvd player that I just bought on Alibaba for $2.99” and “Apple is perfect because it ‘just works’”. What people always forget is that Apple works in a very closed ecosystem where they own, or tightly control all hardware and software, end-to-end. Windoze is expected to work with any piece of crap, no matter the vintage or whether it’s been maintained or upgraded to the current software and hardware baselines. It’s a losing proposition.

Ford is in the same position that Microsoft is. Ford is expected to work with any EVSE out there and people whine if it doesn’t. Tell me, 7 years ago, how many different EVSEs were there and how complex was their onboard software?

Note: we have no information on incidence rate, which EVSEs this is happening with, or what their current rev levels are.

I’d rather fault ford for a lack of a frunk release than to beat them up over this.

ragequit310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Country flag
I think you’re trying to unfairly fault Ford for a “Microsoft universe” problem.

What do I mean by that? For a long time, Apple fanboys (such as myself) have whined that “Microsoft sux “ because their software is unstable and doesn’t work with “the Xin Hui scanner/blender/dvd player that I just bought on Alibaba for $2.99” and “Apple is perfect because it ‘just works’”. What people always forget is that Apple works in a very closed ecosystem where they own, or tightly control all hardware and software, end-to-end. Windoze is expected to work with any piece of crap, no matter the vintage or whether it’s been maintained or upgraded to the current software and hardware baselines. It’s a losing proposition.

Ford is in the same position that Microsoft is. Ford is expected to work with any EVSE out there and people whine if it doesn’t. Tell me, 7 years ago, how many different EVSEs were there and how complex was their onboard software?

Note: we have no information on incidence rate, which EVSEs this is happening with, or what their current rev levels are.

I’d rather fault ford for a lack of a frunk release than to beat them up over this.
Respectfully disagree. This is would be like your iPhone showing an error screen and refusing to function if you dial certain numbers. An error like this happened to me and ruined my night.

If this were a “Microsoft” problem show me ANY electric car that shows a powertrain malfunction if connected to the wrong charger? ANY. Even Nissan Leafs don’t have this issue.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I believe @21st Century Pony beat you to the punch on your challenge in post #11. đŸ€·â€â™‚ïžđŸ©

Wait, @Jimrpa “Windoze?” Damn. Been using that since the early ‘90s. đŸ€ȘđŸ©
Sponsored