breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
TSB 21-2123 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E - Level 2 Charger Inoperative - Built on or Before 14-April-2021 - Released April 22 2021

TSB PDF attached if the copy and paste looks wonky feel free to download the PDF. This is the 2nd TSB for the 2021 MME. They have a fix for all of the weird L2 charging issues for some people, especially those in IL...

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Level 2 Charger Inoperative
21-2123
21 April 2021​
Model:
Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 14-Apr-2021 may exhibit an inoperative level 2 charger (220/240 volt) at a customer’s residence but charging performance operates as intended at a dealership or other locations. This may be due to differences in local electrical power grids. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram various modules starting with the PCM.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021 Mustang Mach-E
• Built on or before 14-Apr-2021
• Level 2 charger inoperative at customer's home

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Reprogram The Appropriate Modules As Required By The Software Update And Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
MT212123​
Actual Time​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:10B689
Condition Code:04
Service Procedure
1. Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery.
NOTE: Verify that the negative cable of the charger is installed on a chassis or engine ground, and not the 12-volt battery negative terminal to prevent the battery saver mode from activating on the vehicle. Do not have the vehicle plugged into the high voltage battery charger during programming. This can cause modules to not program correctly; only have the 12-volt battery charger installed.
2. Reprogram the PCM using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool.
3. Check the availability for software updates on the following modules and update as required:
  • Secondary on board control module (SOBDM)
  • Battery energy control module (BECM)
  • Secondary on board control module B (SOBDMB)
  • Secondary on board control module C (SOBDMC)
  • Anti-lock brake system (ABS)
NOTE: Only one module may be updated at a time.
Sponsored

Attachments

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
TSB 21-2123 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E - Level 2 Charger Inoperative - Built on or Before 14-April-2021 - Released April 22 2021

TSB PDF attached if the copy and paste looks wonky feel free to download the PDF. This is the 2nd TSB for the 2021 MME. They have a fix for all of the weird L2 charging issues for some people, especially those in IL...
this appears to be dealing with the "Illinois crappy grid" issue. https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/home-level-2-charger-issues.3656/

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
can this be done through OTA?
In theory...YES it can be done OTA but Ford isn't pushing any OTA updates right now. Not sure what they're twiddling their thumbs for but I guess I'd rather them do it right then brick cars.

bwr1338

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Level 2 Charger Inoperative
21-2123
21 April 2021​
Model:
Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 14-Apr-2021 may exhibit an inoperative level 2 charger (220/240 volt) at a customer’s residence but charging performance operates as intended at a dealership or other locations. This may be due to differences in local electrical power grids. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram various modules starting with the PCM.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Reprogram The Appropriate Modules As Required By The Software Update And Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
MT212123​
Actual Time​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:10B689
Condition Code:04
Service Procedure
1. Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery.
NOTE: Verify that the negative cable of the charger is installed on a chassis or engine ground, and not the 12-volt battery negative terminal to prevent the battery saver mode from activating on the vehicle. Do not have the vehicle plugged into the high voltage battery charger during programming. This can cause modules to not program correctly; only have the 12-volt battery charger installed.
2. Reprogram the PCM using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool.
3. Check the availability for software updates on the following modules and update as required:
  • Secondary on board control module (SOBDM)
  • Battery energy control module (BECM)
  • Secondary on board control module B (SOBDMB)
  • Secondary on board control module C (SOBDMC)
  • Anti-lock brake system (ABS)
NOTE: Only one module may be updated at a time.
I bought my First Edition Mach E knowing that I was buying a car from an old automotive company. The reason I made the leap from buying a Tesla to Ford is thatthey demonstrated to me during the launch that they could think outside the box and had a new EV team design the car from the ground up. I love my car but have a concern about the support from Ford for EV.

It is very clear from my multiple interactions with Ford support that once the car was release to production, they simply folded it into the old support organization within Ford. I have not talked to anyone who really understands the car or has even driven one. Trying to explain software problems to them is useless. The local dealer can not help unless it is a mechanical issue.

Ford needs to pivot from being just an old ICE car company to an EV computer software car company and they need to move fast if they hope to be competitive.

The Mach E is a computer with wheels. They buy the motors from Borg Warner and batteries from LG and put them in a car body. The integration is all done in software. That is why so many new EV car companies are entering the market. Ford knows how to build the body (an advantage over the new companies and Tesla) around these key components. The real magic is in the software, user interface and software support.Look at how many companies are working on self driving car software, including Apple. Ford can be a tough competitor in the EV market if they think and act more like a software company.

EV users need a web site where they can post ideas as well as issues directly to Ford, not via a forum like this. The 800 support number is a very slow, frustrating, and poor way to capture this kind of information. Software updates should come out on a regular basis as needed to fix problems, add new features and generate excitement within the users. When updates are released, there needs to be reasonable release notes on what changes were made. Our lives depend upon the computer and software that controls the car. It will also allow us to give them feedback on the changes.

Finally, I would also like to see Ford set up a separate support group for their EV cars and trucks. These employees should not only go through EV training but they should drive a Mach E or use a SYNC simulator for a week so they can really understand how they are different from ICE cars. Ford and their dealers also need to think differently as well about communications. Today I had to let my dealer know that there is a software fix for my car not charging at home and that Ford Technical Bulletin 21-2123 was issued 4-21-21. No email, text or phone call regarding a problem that is critical to using the car.

All of us hope and want Ford to succeed in the EV market. I wished they would have been more prepared at launch but they still have time if they read the forums and address the issues around software support and OTA updates. I am an early adopter and will do what I can to help Ford make my First Edition Mach E a top rated EV regardless of how hard Ford make the process.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Today I had to let my dealer know that there is a software fix for my car not charging at home and that Ford Technical Bulletin 21-2123 was issued 4-21-21. No email, text or phone call regarding a problem that is critical to using the car.
I’m not surprised. The dealer doesn’t like get a “TSB” list every morning and read over it, they only show up if they run your VIN and specifically check for TSBs. Ford doesn’t want to update cars it doesn’t have to. So instead they publish TSBs and SSMs and if someone comes in for an issue relating to that they’ll just simply do the software update and no further investigation. Saves money in warranty work. They don’t want you coming in if your car charges fine for an update you don’t really need yet that may be pushed OTA in a few months to everyone else.

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Thank you for sharing these TSBs! Maybe I will soon no longer be stuck trickle charging at 120 volts. If not for this forum, I would bever know when a fix was available since my dealer is useless when it comes to communication or TSB awareness.

tman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
Where do you get this information?

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I’ve lived with this issue for nearly three months now and brought the car to the dealer several times to address it. Did I get a call when the TSB came out? No. If it weren’t for the forums I wouldn’t have known to call to bring it in for the update tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to not having intermittent 240V charging and consistently trickle charging the car. This has been my only complaint since day one.

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ve lived with this issue for nearly three months now and brought the car to the dealer several times to address it. Did I get a call when the TSB came out? No. If it weren’t for the forums I wouldn’t have known to call to bring it in for the update tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to not having intermittent 240V charging and consistently trickle charging the car. This has been my only complaint since day one.
In there defense.(..if its defendable), it did just come out this week so.......

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Let us know if it does the job for you. We can all dance under the moon naked at midnight.
Sponsored