TSB 21-2190 Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator With DTCs - HV Battery Not Charging At Level 3 DC Fast Charging Station/EVSE

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
TSB 21-2190 - June 18 2021 - Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator With DTCs - HV Battery Not Charging At Level 3 DC Fast Charging Station/EVSE

Model:

Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 04-May-2021 may experience an illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) U3000:16, U3000:64, U3000:04 and/or U3000:45 in the off board charging controller (OBCC) module and the high voltage (HV) battery will not charge using a level 3 DC fast charging station/electrical vehicle supply equipment (EVSE). This may be due to OBCC software. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram the OBCC.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021 Mustang Mach-E
• Built on or before 04-May-2021
• One or more of the following conditions:
- Illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator with DTCs U3000:16, U3000:64, U3000:04 and/or U3000:45 in the OBCC module
- The HV battery will not charge using a level 3 DC fast charging station/EVSE

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Labor Times

DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Retrieve DTCs And Reprogram The OBCC Module (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212190A​
0.4 Hrs.​
Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part:14G490
Condition Code:04

Service Procedure

1. Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery.

NOTE: To prevent the battery saver mode from activating on the vehicle, verify that the negative cable of the charger is installed on a chassis or engine ground, and not the 12-volt battery negative terminal Do not plug the vehicle into the high voltage battery charger during programming, this can cause modules to not program correctly. Only use the 12-volt battery charger during programming.

2. Reprogram the OBCC using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool.

END TSB

I believe this is just an update to the previous information on OBCC reprogramming. It was previously an SSM, now a full fledged TSB.
Sponsored

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
TSB 21-2190 - June 18 2021 - Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator With DTCs - HV Battery Not Charging At Level 3 DC Fast Charging Station/EVSE

Model:

Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 04-May-2021 may experience an illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) U3000:16, U3000:64, U3000:04 and/or U3000:45 in the off board charging controller (OBCC) module and the high voltage (HV) battery will not charge using a level 3 DC fast charging station/electrical vehicle supply equipment (EVSE). This may be due to OBCC software. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram the OBCC.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Labor Times

DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Retrieve DTCs And Reprogram The OBCC Module (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212190A​
0.4 Hrs.​
Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part:14G490
Condition Code:04

Service Procedure

1. Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery.

NOTE: To prevent the battery saver mode from activating on the vehicle, verify that the negative cable of the charger is installed on a chassis or engine ground, and not the 12-volt battery negative terminal Do not plug the vehicle into the high voltage battery charger during programming, this can cause modules to not program correctly. Only use the 12-volt battery charger during programming.

2. Reprogram the OBCC using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool.

END TSB

I believe this is just an update to the previous information on OBCC reprogramming. It was previously an SSM, now a full fledged TSB.
I wish @Ford Motor Company would state whether they are also planning on putting this stuff in an OTA or not.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I wish @Ford Motor Company would state whether they are also planning on putting this stuff in an OTA or not.
Yeah, I have basically every issue that folks are talking about in these forums. And I don't know if I should waste a day at the dealership or just wait for the OTAs to come.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
They will likely end up putting most if not all of it in OTAs, but it may be 6 months before we see them.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
They will likely end up putting most if not all of it in OTAs, but it may be 6 months before we see them.
great. I have a 1300 mile road trip in 3 months

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yeah, I have basically every issue that folks are talking about in these forums. And I don't know if I should waste a day at the dealership or just wait for the OTAs to come.
Test your Mach E by charging on a L3 DCFC (any 150 or 350 kW charger should be fine). If you don't see the wrench, you are probably OK. If you've already charged at a 150 or 350 kW charger, you are probably OK. There's no indication in the TSB that this is only happens with certain chargers.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Test your Mach E by charging on a L3 DCFC (any 150 or 350 kW charger should be fine). If you don't see the wrench, you are probably OK. If you've already charged at a 150 or 350 kW charger, you are probably OK. There's no indication in the TSB that this is only happens with certain chargers.
Is this an “acid test”? Does my battery have to be below a certain charge level to conduct this test? If I FAIL this test (I.e., see the wrench), will I have “bricked” my car and have to call for a tow to a dealer?

I live 3 miles from a level 3 charger. I don’t mind letting my car run down to 50%-60% charge, then heading over to the charger to give it a shot and see if I get a wrench, as long as my car is still drivable and I can drive home to my L2 charger in my garage if I get the wrench and charge at home. I’d then call the dealer and ask for the update.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Is this an “acid test”? Does my battery have to be below a certain charge level to conduct this test? If I FAIL this test (I.e., see the wrench), will I have “bricked” my car and have to call for a tow to a dealer?

I live 3 miles from a level 3 charger. I don’t mind letting my car run down to 50%-60% charge, then heading over to the charger to give it a shot and see if I get a wrench, as long as my car is still drivable and I can drive home to my L2 charger in my garage if I get the wrench and charge at home. I’d then call the dealer and ask for the update.
Not a brick, just a wrench. See original post for description
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...t-level-3-dc-fast-charging-station-evse.7193/

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
See my original set of questions. I’m trying to understand the condition the car has to be in before attempting the test at a level 3 charging station is a valid test? I’m also trying to understand that, if I try to charge at a level 3 charging station and my car “fails” the test, my car is rendered undrivable (“bricking” is a term used when something is done to a piece of electronics that renders it irrecoverably unusable “I tried to jailbreak my iPhone and I bricked it”) ? Sorry If my original questions weren’t clear.
I just don’t want to be stranded at the King of Prussia Mall, at the mercy of Ford Roadside Assistance ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
See my original set of questions. I’m trying to understand the condition the car has to be in before attempting the test at a level 3 charging station is a valid test? I’m also trying to understand that, if I try to charge at a level 3 charging station and my car “fails” the test, my car is rendered undrivable (“bricking” is a term used when something is done to a piece of electronics that renders it irrecoverably unusable “I tried to jailbreak my iPhone and I bricked it”) ? Sorry If my original questions weren’t clear.
I just don’t want to be stranded at the King of Prussia Mall, at the mercy of Ford Roadside Assistance ?
I understand the brick term. My point is that if you read the description of the events in TSB 21-2190, they do not describe the car becoming disabled, only showing a wrench and failing to charge. TSBs that address full vehicular failure describe this as an outcome in the bulletin. Based on that, I see this as just a failure of DCFC, not bricking of the car.

Have you never charged using DCFC? If not, a nearby mall seems like a good place to run the test. Easy to get home if it does brick & cool mall to await a tow truck. However, with no indication this is bricking the car, if you get a wrench and cannot charge it is time for an appointment with the dealer. That sort of test is a far better scenario than learning you can't DCFC while on a road trip.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I understand the brick term. My point is that if you read the description of the events in TSB 21-2190, they do not describe the car becoming disabled, only showing a wrench and failing to charge. TSBs that address full vehicular failure describe this as an outcome in the bulletin. Based on that, I see this as just a failure of DCFC, not bricking of the car.

Have you never charged using DCFC? If not, a nearby mall seems like a good place to run the test. Easy to get home if it does brick & cool mall to await a tow truck. However, with no indication this is bricking the car, if you get a wrench and cannot charge it is time for an appointment with the dealer. That sort of test is a far better scenario than learning you can't DCFC while on a road trip.
Thanks and sorry if it seemed I was “talking down” - definitely NOT my intent. I just sometimes am not clear ?
I have never used DCFC. I’ve stayed away from it because my understanding is that DCFC is slightly worse on the battery. My normal behavior has been to let the car go down to about 50% charge, then let it charge to 90% at home. On the one “road trip”, it wasn’t long enough to need to DCFC - I just L2 charged overnight and once or twice at L2 chargers when I was stopped for a few hours (such as at a museum). I guess I could let the car run down to about 30% then run over to the mall and give the L3 charger a shot.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
So I've had this issue with Efacec DC fast chargers that EVGo uses around here. I performed the OBCC update myself with my own equipment and software license, and that fixed the problem. No, it doesn't brick the car if you encounter this issue - the car only says there's a charger malfunction, and you're free to drive to another location :)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I guess I could let the car run down to about 30% then run over to the mall and give the L3 charger a shot.
Exactly what I recommend. Better to test it when you have the time to deal with a failure.

SmileyDude

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Select AWD, 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
So I've had this issue with Efacec DC fast chargers that EVGo uses around here. I performed the OBCC update myself with my own equipment and software license, and that fixed the problem. No, it doesn't brick the car if you encounter this issue - the car only says there's a charger malfunction, and you're free to drive to another location :)
What is necessary to purchase if I wanted to have this ability myself? Is it only available to licensed Ford techs or is it something us mere mortals with a laptop, an ODBScan and a copy of FORScan can do ourselves?
Sponsored