print.jpg
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Vibration/Pulsation From Brakes - Brake Pad Material Stuck To Rotor
21-2206
24 August 2021​
Model:
Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles may exhibit a vibration or pulsation from the brakes. This may be due to brake pad material bonded to the rotor. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the brake pads and resurface the rotors.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021 Mustang Mach-E
• Vibration or pulsation from the brakes due to a pad material bonded to the rotor

NOTE: Part quantity refers to the number of that service part number required, which may be different than the number of individual pieces. Service part numbers contain 1 piece unless otherwise stated. "As Needed" indicates the part is required but the number may vary or is not a whole number; parts can be billed out as non-whole numbers, including less than 1. "If Needed" indicates the part is not mandatory.
Parts
Part NumberDescriptionQuantity
-​
Front Brake Pads
1​
Package Contains 2 Pieces, 4 Pieces Required​
Brake Caliper Bolt
2​
Replace Only If Unable To Resurface Within The Minimum Thickness Specification:
-​
Front Brake Rotor
If Needed​

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Replace Front Brake Pads, Includes Time For Front Brake Disc Machining (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212206A​
1.4 Hrs.​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:2001
Condition Code:69
Service Procedure
Figure 1
imagen2.jpg

Figure 2 - Original Front Brake Pad
imagen2.jpg

Figure 3 - Revised Brake Pad
imagen2.jpg

1. Replace the front brake pads with the revised brake pads that do not contain the center V channel. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-03.
2. Resurface the front brake rotors to remove the brake pad material. Refer to WSM, Section 206-00.

Attachments

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Finally found this one.

I just dropped off my FE for the second occurrence of this. The first time was a few months ago and I had to wait a month for new pads to come in from Europe(?). Hopefully they will be installing the updated pads, without the extended wait…

LS61303

First Name
LeeSonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E 4EXT Premium, Yamaha FZ07
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
PDF ATTACHED
Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 21-2206 Vibration/Pulsation From Brakes - Brake Pad Material Stuck To Rotor imagen2
21-2206
24 August 2021​
Model:
Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles may exhibit a vibration or pulsation from the brakes. This may be due to brake pad material bonded to the rotor. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the brake pads and resurface the rotors.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

NOTE: Part quantity refers to the number of that service part number required, which may be different than the number of individual pieces. Service part numbers contain 1 piece unless otherwise stated. "As Needed" indicates the part is required but the number may vary or is not a whole number; parts can be billed out as non-whole numbers, including less than 1. "If Needed" indicates the part is not mandatory.
Parts
-​
Front Brake Pads
1​
Brake Caliper Bolt
2​
-​
Front Brake Rotor
If Needed​

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Replace Front Brake Pads, Includes Time For Front Brake Disc Machining (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212206A​
1.4 Hrs.​
Repair/Claim Coding
Service Procedure
Figure 1
Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 21-2206 Vibration/Pulsation From Brakes - Brake Pad Material Stuck To Rotor imagen2

1. Replace the front brake pads with the revised brake pads that do not contain the center V channel. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-03.
2. Resurface the front brake rotors to remove the brake pad material. Refer to WSM, Section 206-00.
Hm, wondering if the same defect has occurred on my Premium…I’ll have to check, but I’d like to ask other owners; do you guys feel a shudder/pulsing when applying the brakes quickly while regen braking is also occurring? Thought it might just be the fact that the car doesn’t like using the normal brakes and the motor braking at the same time and the systems conflict with each other. But upon reading this recall breakdown, sounds like I might have the brake pad issue.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Hm, wondering if the same defect has occurred on my Premium…I’ll have to check, but I’d like to ask other owners; do you guys feel a shudder/pulsing when applying the brakes quickly while regen braking is also occurring? Thought it might just be the fact that the car doesn’t like using the normal brakes and the motor braking at the same time and the systems conflict with each other. But upon reading this recall breakdown, sounds like I might have the brake pad issue.
My FE does this but I've never had it looked at. I think it probably is this issue. It should be smooth with regen and friction brakes blending.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thought it might just be the fact that the car doesn’t like using the normal brakes and the motor braking at the same time and the systems conflict with each other.
It's designed to blend regen with friction brakes. They don't conflict with each other.

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
My FE does this but I've never had it looked at. I think it probably is this issue. It should be smooth with regen and friction brakes blending.
Same here with my RWD. Only happens during relatively hard braking. The image of the rotor shown in the TSB looks to be pretty bad; from what I can see without removing the tires, my rotors look very clean. Will try to bring it in at some point, but not sure how the mechanics' strike in the area is affecting service times...

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Same here with my RWD. Only happens during relatively hard braking. The image of the rotor shown in the TSB looks to be pretty bad; from what I can see without removing the tires, my rotors look very clean. Will try to bring it in at some point, but not sure how the mechanics' strike in the area is affecting service times...
Ditto with harder breaking. I rarely break (1-pedal driving), but I had to break a bit harder on the roadtrip I took 2 weekends ago, and noticed a decently hard vibration. I assumed it was just much since I don't manually break very much.

Can't say I've noticed anything on the discs though, clean each time I wash. Will keep my eye on them though.

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
If you shift into Neutral you can override the regenerative brakes. That way you don't have to slam on your brakes to see if you have this problem. My Mach-E has been doing this since for 6 months. Thanks for the TSB! I have an appointment to have this looked on Friday.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
If you shift into Neutral you can override the regenerative brakes. That way you don't have to slam on your brakes to see if you have this problem. My Mach-E has been doing this since for 6 months. Thanks for the TSB! I have an appointment to have this looked on Friday.
Have my appointment for new front brake pads tomorrow. Dealer ordered them and it took a week for them to come in.

This problem can be related to water (see other threads). Twice, my brakes stuck hard the next morning after hand washing the car and wheels and immediately putting in the garage. Didn't stick if I drove it first and used the brakes a few times. Third time was after driving in heavy downpour (Ida). The next morning brakes stuck hard and made loud clunk when released. Immediately, could hear a clunking noise when driving that increased and decreased with speed. There was also a vibration when braking for a day or two until the chunk of pad that stuck to the rotor was worn off. There is no vibration now but I assume a chunk of pad is missing.

This has nothing to do with regen and blended braking.

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Have my appointment for new front brake pads tomorrow. Dealer ordered them and it took a week for them to come in.

This problem can be related to water (see other threads). Twice, my brakes stuck hard the next morning after hand washing the car and wheels and immediately putting in the garage. Didn't stick if I drove it first and used the brakes a few times. Third time was after driving in heavy downpour (Ida). The next morning brakes stuck hard and made loud clunk when released. Immediately, could hear a clunking noise when driving that increased and decreased with speed. There was also a vibration when braking for a day or two until the chunk of pad that stuck to the rotor was worn off. There is no vibration now but I assume a chunk of pad is missing.

I see. For my Mach-E my brakes only shutter when shifting into neutral and pressing the break pedal. Perhaps our situations are unrelated. I can't say water is the cause of mine as I use a waterless spray to wash my car and it hasn't rained here in CA for a long time where I'm at.

Reactions: SAM

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Ditto. Washed Marlin really well, including brakes in preparation for Saturday’s National Drive Electric Week event. Brakes were stuck hard when I started and threw lots of rust on the drive over. Not vibrating though, fortunately.

Reactions: SAM

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
I see. For my Mach-E my brakes only shutter when shifting into neutral and pressing the break pedal. Perhaps our situations are unrelated. I can't say water is the cause of mine as I use a waterless spray to wash my car and it hasn't rained here in CA for a long time where I'm at.
Seems like it rains here all the time now. Got around 22 inches of rain from three storms last two months. Plenty of rain between those storms too.

christooma

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I unfortunately had this happen to me this past weekend. I washed the car and then didn’t drive it for a couple of days. During that time, it rained pretty hard for almost the entire two days. I tried to get in the car and back it out of the driveway and the brakes would not let go. After trying a few times to go in reverse, I heard a loud crack and then the car released and was able to move. Now a piece of the brake pad seems to be loose and can be heard hitting something as the wheels turn.
I immediately parked it and have had it towed to my local dealership for them to look into.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
PDF ATTACHED
print.jpg
21-2206
24 August 2021​
Model:
Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Parts
-​
Front Brake Pads
1​
Brake Caliper Bolt
2​
-​
Front Brake Rotor
If Needed​

Labor Times
212206A​
1.4 Hrs.​
Repair/Claim Coding
Service Procedure
Figure 1
imagen2.jpg

imagen2.jpg

imagen2.jpg

Thanks for this! I've noticed recently that when coming to a slightly more aggressive stop where I use more physical braking than regen I can feel a slight pulsating in the brake pedal, and the car slows and and then let's go slightly with that pulsating as if the rotors are slightly warped, or there is a high spot on the rotors. When coming to an even more aggressive stop I feel the vibration in the steering wheel and the steering wheel shudders.

Looks like I now have a solid reason to take it in for service. Hopefully new pads get rid of that God awful brake creaking when slowing to a crawl just b4 the vehicle finally stops.

Funny enough I started to notice the brake shudder/pulsating after attempting to "bed in" the breaks a couple times as suggested on here multiple times as a means of eliminating that brake creak.