TSB 21-2206 Vibration/Pulsation From Brakes - Brake Pad Material Stuck To Rotor

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Per my dealer, parts are on order (once again). Car sat for two days before they came back to me with the fact they didn't do anything to the car. :/
Sponsored

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Per my dealer, parts are on order (once again). Car sat for two days before they came back to me with the fact they didn't do anything to the car. :/
Yeah, dealer "service". They want you to leave the car with them but I only do that as a last resort.

I called and described the brake problem and referenced the TSB. After the person I was talking with had a short discussion with the service manager, they said they had no record of the TSB but set up an appointment for me to bring it in and have it "looked at".

I showed up at my appointment, gave them a copy of the TSB and asked that, if they did determine the pads need to be replaced, whether they had the parts? The guy couldn't answer that or any of my other questions because he was just "checking me in".

Based on that, I decided to wait because I suspected they were just going to look at it and then have to order the parts. I was wrong. They didn't even look at it. The service manage came out after about 20 minutes and said they had to order the parts to replace the pads and they'd call me to make an appointment once the parts were in. Nice. I got back in my car and left.

I have no idea why I had to waste my time going there when that could've easily been handled over the phone, if the service manager had done his job in the first place. I suppose the TSB says they need to inspect the brakes first but they didn't really even do that. Now, of course, they want a 5 star review but I can't give my experience 5 stars.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I don't have the clunking, sticking thing that most folks describe. I am starting to develop lots of dust however.

I park on level ground at home and don't use the E-brake unless the car activates it itself.

Wondering if you all think its worth it to ask about the TSB? I have no other reason to mess with a dealership at this time

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I don't have the clunking, sticking thing that most folks describe. I am starting to develop lots of dust however.

I park on level ground at home and don't use the E-brake unless the car activates it itself.

Wondering if you all think its worth it to ask about the TSB? I have no other reason to mess with a dealership at this time
Most of us are in the same boat as you. No brake pad sticking issue, more than typical amount of dust compared to previously driven cars. I would not bother to bring it in until a real issue develops.

CopperRobot

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
When coming to a stop, mine will shudder like warped rotors but only once. If I let off brakes, then press pedal second time during same stop no shudder. The TSB seems to make some sense as to why it doesn't shudder all the time like warped rotors would cause.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
Most of us are in the same boat as you. No brake pad sticking issue, more than typical amount of dust compared to previously driven cars. I would not bother to bring it in until a real issue develops.
My 2015 mustang also created a lot of brake dust. My guess is Ford is using the same pads, or at least the same pad compound.

waterstm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E PE SR AWD
Country flag
I just had my vehicle towed to the dealership for the brakes issue. The pads were in stock and on order, but the rotors are on back order with no ETA.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
I just had my vehicle towed to the dealership for the brakes issue. The pads were in stock and on order, but the rotors are on back order with no ETA.
They should be able to resurface the rotors, especially as new as our cars are and as little as EVs and Hybrids use their friction brakes. The issue looks to be the pad material.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My cars breaks stick real hard if I park it wet and let it sit overnight. Backing out if my garage, pushing the accelerator you can feel it's being held and then with enough force it breaks them free and starts to move. First time I thought I had hit something in the garage.

waterstm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E PE SR AWD
Country flag
My cars breaks stick real hard if I park it wet and let it sit overnight. Backing out if my garage, pushing the accelerator you can feel it's being held and then with enough force it breaks them free and starts to move. First time I thought I had hit something in the garage.
That’s exactly what mine did, except a piece of the break pad broke off and was permanently stuck to the rotor.

You may be able to have a dealership order the parts so that you can have them replaced without losing your vehicle for a time. Supposedly, the TSB only takes 1.5 hours for them to complete the work.

MitchAK

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4X IB , 2021 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Power Production
Country flag
This happened to my Mach E after a car wash.
I washed it and then it sat in the garage for a day and a half or two and I had the front brake pads (at least) stick to the front brake rotor.
Literally had to peel a chunk of brake pad off my rotor.
Glad to hear this service bulletin.
Hopefully they will still take care of me even though I peeled the brake pad myself.
My pads are still not replaced so the evidence is there ?

christooma

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I washed my MME and then it sat for three days under a carport. It rained almost everyday during that time. Came back with the same sticking issue everyone here is mentioning. I sent the service bulletin number to the service tech and he was able to verify and order the parts. Unfortunately, they will take 2 weeks to get here…

Reactions: SAM

Tarynem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium (pending)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Sooooo what is the resolution for this? Everytime it rains, or you wash your car....don't park in your garage afterwards?

Reactions: SAM

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
Sooooo what is the resolution for this? Everytime it rains, or you wash your car....don't park in your garage afterwards?
I started doing a short drive hitting the brakes a few times after washing. That stopped the sticking. I took it in to replace the brake pads under the TSB when it happened after driving in heavy rain.
Sponsored