TSB 21-2245 Loss Of Power, Stop Safely Now Message In The IPC, Illuminated MIL With DTC P1A10, U0293 And/Or U1011

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Loss Of Power, Stop Safely Now Message In The IPC, Illuminated MIL With DTC P1A10, U0293 And/Or U1011 - Built On Or Before 20-Mar-2021
21-2245
02 August 2021​
Model:
Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 20-Mar-2021 may exhibit a loss of power, Stop Safely Now message in the instrument panel cluster (IPC), and illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P1A10, U0293 and/or U1011. This may be due to the parameters in the powertrain control module (PCM). To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram various modules starting with the PCM.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition if the vehicle meets all of the following criteria:

• 2021 Mustang Mach-E
• Built on or before 20-Mar-2021
• Loss of power, Stop Safely Now message in the IPC, illuminated MIL with DTCs P1A10, U0293 and/or U1011

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Emissions Warranty/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/Emissions Warranty/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Reprogram The Appropriate Modules As Required By The Software Update And Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
MT212245​
Actual Time​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:RECALEM
Condition Code:04
Service Procedure
1. Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery.
NOTE: To prevent the battery saver mode from activating on the vehicle, make sure the negative cable of the charger is installed on a chassis or engine ground, and not the 12-volt battery negative terminal. Do not have the vehicle plugged into the high voltage battery charger during programming. This can cause incorrect module programming. Make sure only the 12-volt battery charger is installed.
2. Reprogram the PCM using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool.
3. Check the availability of software updates on the following modules and update as required:
(1). Secondary on-board diagnostic control module (SOBDM)
(2). Battery energy control module (BECM)
(3). Secondary on-board diagnostic control module B (SOBDMB)
(4). Secondary on-board diagnostic control module C (SOBDMC)
(5). Anti-lock brake system (ABS) module
NOTE: Only one module may be updated at a time.
END TSB
Sponsored

Attachments

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Encouraging to hear these are being resolved with software.

memcm_expert

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Carbonized Grey, Audi Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer Lead
Country flag
Is there a way to determine a build date for the Mach E?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
The clue to why this is not an OTA is in the last note of the TSB.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
OTAs can't update one module at a time??
Multiple modules can be updated in the same OTA package, the updates just can’t be installed simultaneously. That is an instruction to dealers to not to update more than one at once.

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
I have to stop reading these posts:confused: It happened to me yesterday morning. I was able to get it going again and took it in to the dealer this morning. build date 12/28. No real issues till now. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Multiple modules can be updated in the same OTA package, the updates just can’t be installed simultaneously. That is an instruction to dealers to not to update more than one at once.
What is weird about that is when you start updating one module it puts all of the other modules to sleep as to not have CAN traffic while updating. So you can't even update another one at the same time. I have no idea why they even put that in there. Maybe to avoid hotline calls from people asking if it is possible?

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
What is weird about that is when you start updating one module it puts all of the other modules to sleep as to not have CAN traffic while updating. So you can't even update another one at the same time. I have no idea why they even put that in there. Maybe to avoid hotline calls from people asking if it is possible?
Which makes @RonTCat 's message even more cryptic. ??

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My MME was built on 01/20/21 so this TSB would apply. I'm going on a long drive (500 miles+) over mountains and now Ford wants me to ignore this until it happens? Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the reliability of this vehicle. I know if I told this to a dealer and showed them the TSB, I would get this reaction.....Where did you get this TSB?, Has your car stopped?, Do you have these codes displayed?. No, No, No, sorry can't help you go away please! What do you think, am I right?

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
My MME was built on 01/20/21 so this TSB would apply. I'm going on a long drive (500 miles+) over mountains and now Ford wants me to ignore this until it happens? Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the reliability of this vehicle. I know if I told this to a dealer and showed them the TSB, I would get this reaction.....Where did you get this TSB?, Has your car stopped?, Do you have these codes displayed?. No, No, No, sorry can't help you go away please! What do you think, am I right?
You may very well have some of those codes. Send me your VIN and I can see.

wings2063

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EV6 GT-Line /Mache Premium 4x
Occupation
Retired
You may very well have some of those codes. Send me your VIN and I can see.
I took mine to the dealer yesterday and showed him the TSB. I then explained that it did exactly as described in the TSB. I told him of course I have no idea about the codes, but it did put the car in park and would not move. Took about 5 min of being turned off and out of the car before it would restart. Told him I did not wish to be in that position again, they said no problem and they would get it reprogrammed. Had it back by noon with the modules updated.
Sponsored