Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The interesting is, after I upped the charge current to 40A on my Wallbox Pulsar charger, it soon started sounding like coolant circulating underneath the car and the fan did come on. I've never noticed coolant circulating before the update.
Wow, if the whole crazy fan thing was because the coolant pump wasn't turned on because of a software glitch... ? Hopefully you just couldn't hear the pump before over the fan noise previously, otherwise the poor charger was likely overheating with no coolant flow...yikes.
Sponsored

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
Wow, if the whole crazy fan thing was because the coolant pump wasn't turned on because of a software glitch... ? Hopefully you just couldn't hear the pump before over the fan noise previously, otherwise the poor charger was likely overheating with no coolant flow...yikes.
I definitely did not notice coolant circulating before the update. It actually sounded very strange at first, more like liquid sloshing around, kind of like the clothes washing machine, rather than a smooth continuous flow. I will pay close attention the next time I charge it.

Edit: I wanted to add, the update *seems* to have slightly smoothed out the grabby one pedal drive braking, right as the car comes to a complete stop. It *seems* to let up just a tiny bit more right before the car comes to a complete stop. Lessons a bit of the dive when it comes to a complete stop.

Last edited:

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Hey, all! For those experiencing this unexpected fan noise, we recommend you have your Mustang Mach-E diagnosed by your Ford dealership. A TSB has now been released for both North America (TSB 21-2288) and European (TSB 21-2278) dealers to resolve this issue. You can locate your local dealer by using the following link: https://owner.ford.com/service/dealer-locator.html.
Ford Motor Company. I've encountered the loud fan noise intermittently while L2 charging. Last week I called up my local Ford dealership (Angela Krause Ford in Alpharetta, GA where I bought my MME FE and have a MME GTPE on order) to schedule an appointment for updating the modules.

I talked to the service manager who said that it would take up to three days to diagnose and fix the fan noise. He went on to offer me a loaner car, but said it would take six to eight weeks before they would have a loaner car available. Said they would call me back to schedule the service appointment once a loaner car was available.

I shared TSB 21-2288 with the service manager and suggested that maybe he could have their MME technician review it, and that maybe it wouldn't really take three days to diagnose and fix. He said that was not how the process worked and would not change anything.

Six to eight weeks is a long time to wait to be scheduled for a service appointment. I can live with this problem for a while longer, but really wish that the dealership would investigate the TSB before determining they would need the car for three days. I'm betting that it could be done in a day, for which I could live without my car.

Can you please help?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ford Motor Company. I've encountered the loud fan noise intermittently while L2 charging. Last week I called up my local Ford dealership (Angela Krause Ford in Alpharetta, GA where I bought my MME FE and have a MME GTPE on order) to schedule an appointment for updating the modules.

I talked to the service manager who said that it would take up to three days to diagnose and fix the fan noise. He went on to offer me a loaner car, but said it would take six to eight weeks before they would have a loaner car available. Said they would call me back to schedule the service appointment once a loaner car was available.

I shared TSB 21-2288 with the service manager and suggested that maybe he could have their MME technician review it, and that maybe it wouldn't really take three days to diagnose and fix. He said that was not how the process worked and would not change anything.

Six to eight weeks is a long time to wait to be scheduled for a service appointment. I can live with this problem for a while longer, but really wish that the dealership would investigate the TSB before determining they would need the car for three days. I'm betting that it could be done in a day, for which I could live without my car.

Can you please help?
You can always try back with a different service advisor. Some are just set in their ways and won't deviate. They also aren't used to customers doing the work and providing the SSM Or TSB from my experience.

Also, my dealer will tell me it can take them 3 days for that. But its usually because they can't guarantee that even with an appointment that the tech will be able to get to my car, and get everything done on it in a day, while also working on other cars while the update is running.

I had my PAAK update done and a few others, and it took them 3 days. They had many modules to update. and would work on it about twice a day based on securialert alerts.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag

First let's tag @Ford Motor Company on this one.

Try to talk to a different service manager at your dealer if you can. Tell them it's just a software update that will take less than an hour (really only 20 minutes) while you wait (you don't need a loner, Ford won't pay for it for such a short task). Telling you it will positively take three days when you have the TSB right there is just plain incompetence, the guy you spoke to probably had too big of an ego to admit he was wrong to your face.

Otherwise try to take it to another dealer, in Atlanta you should have a few options.

This is yet another reason why you should be getting OTA updates out ASAP Ford. So many of your dealers are incompetent when it comes to performing simple software updates and your customers deserve better.

AndrewGFI

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Country flag
First let's tag @Ford Motor Company on this one.

Try to talk to a different service manager at your dealer if you can. Tell them it's just a software update that will take less than an hour (really only 20 minutes) while you wait (you don't need a loner, Ford won't pay for it for such a short task). Telling you it will positively take three days when you have the TSB right there is just plain incompetence, the guy you spoke to probably had too big of an ego to admit he was wrong to your face.

Otherwise try to take it to another dealer, in Atlanta you should have a few options.

This is yet another reason why you should be getting OTA updates out ASAP Ford. So many of your dealers are incompetent when it comes to performing simple software updates and your customers deserve better.
I am new to the forum so not sure if this is the right place for my question but since Ford responded to this thread i am hoping they will also see question! I just bought a Mach-e GT and i get a lot of fan noise just driving around (or parked, but turned on). I also get it charging but i am more concerned about the noise while driving around - it is louder than the fake engine noise coming out of the car. I didn't see any posts with this problem. I have also left two voice mails for the dealer and no one has called me back so i am hoping someone on the forum can tell me what is going on / if there is anything i can do about it.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I am new to the forum so not sure if this is the right place for my question but since Ford responded to this thread i am hoping they will also see question! I just bought a Mach-e GT and i get a lot of fan noise just driving around (or parked, but turned on). I also get it charging but i am more concerned about the noise while driving around - it is louder than the fake engine noise coming out of the car. I didn't see any posts with this problem. I have also left two voice mails for the dealer and no one has called me back so i am hoping someone on the forum can tell me what is going on / if there is anything i can do about it.
Next time you hear the fan noise while on and parked, can you record it and upload here? Also, check the louvers at the front bumper area. Are they open?

Finally, what are your climate control settings set to?

AndrewGFI

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Country flag
Next time you hear the fan noise while on and parked, can you record it and upload here? Also, check the louvers at the front bumper area. Are they open?

Finally, what are your climate control settings set to?
Thanks for your response! Attached is a short 15 second video of the fan noise when parked. The climate control was off. I wasn't aware of the louvers until you mentioned them in your post. From the video it looks like they are open. Any ideas on what is going on?

Attachments

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Thanks for your response! Attached is a short 15 second video of the fan noise when parked. The climate control was off. I wasn't aware of the louvers until you mentioned them in your post. From the video it looks like they are open. Any ideas on what is going on?
I see your location is in Washington, so it shouldn't be very warm there right now. Are you driving it really hard? The fans should only be that loud if it's got some serious cooling it needs to do... (either cooling the cabin, or the battery/motors)

AndrewGFI

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Country flag
I see your location is in Washington, so it shouldn't be very warm there right now. Are you driving it really hard? The fans should only be that loud if it's got some serious cooling it needs to do... (either cooling the cabin, or the battery/motors)
Yes i am in Seattle and it is cool - probably high 50's or low 60's. In fact, this was taken just after i started the car that day so i hadn't driven it yet. I just tried calling the dealer three times trying to speak to someone in Service (Bill Pierre Ford in case anyone out there wants to avoid them) and got voicemails all three times.

AndrewGFI

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Country flag
Yes i am in Seattle and it is cool - probably high 50's or low 60's. In fact, this was taken just after i started the car that day so i hadn't driven it yet. I just tried calling the dealer three times trying to speak to someone in Service (Bill Pierre Ford in case anyone out there wants to avoid them) and got voicemails all three times.
Squeaky wheel - I ended up finding an email for the service department and sent out a plea for help and the video. Someone actually called back. His diagnosis is that this is probably related to the fan noise when L2 charging others have noted so i will be taking the car in for the software update and hoping that it works.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
No, that is going full blast, which is not normal for only being 50-60ÂşF outside. Unless you just completed a lap around the NĂĽrburgring ring the cooling after driving will never be nearly that intense.

Have them do the software updates, but this really seems like you have another issue, possibly a failed temp sensor, or at worst a bad cell module that's overheating. Park outside until resolved.

AndrewGFI

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT
Country flag
No, that is going full blast, which is not normal for only being 50-60ÂşF outside. Unless you just completed a lap around the NĂĽrburgring ring the cooling after driving will never be nearly that intense.

Have them do the software updates, but this really seems like you have another issue, possibly a failed temp sensor, or at worst a bad cell module that's overheating. Park outside until resolved.
Thanks for the other potential ideas! Fortunately, it sits outside anyway - no room in the garage. A Nurburgring lap would be a lot of fun! Maybe it's my car just dreaming of a better life.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
This is the same sound I get when the car is running really hard in the heat of Phoenix summer, cooling batteries and cabin, etc. I also will here it in my hot garage if charging at 48A rate... But other than that, it's much quieter.

Yeah bring it in and let them check codes and they can consult with Ford to get to the bottom of it.

As others suggested, it could be a faulty temperature sensor or faulty programming. Either way, hopefully it turns out to be something quick and simple.

Beautiful car btw. If I could have afforded the longer wait and rationalized the higher price, I think I too would be in a GT.
Sponsored