TSB 21-2288 Cooling Fan Noises During Level 2 Charging - Built On Or Before 11-Aug-2021

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
PDF ATTACHED - I thought this was an addition to the 2274 that they have since rescinded I believe, but this is for L2 not L3 charging. My February build does have a loud fan when I'm doing 10.5kW L2 charging but it does not seem to go full blast. I'll have it updated anyways.

Most dealers probably don't have 10.5kW L2 chargers so simply tell them that the fan is super loud when charging at home and reference this TSB. They'll update it for you free of charge.

START TSB

Cooling Fan Noises During Level 2 Charging - Built On Or Before 11-Aug-2021

Model:

Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 11-Aug-2021 may exhibit a strong fan noise while charging in level 2. The noise occurs when charging current is approximately 10.5 kW or above. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram various modules starting with the powertrain control module (PCM).

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021 Mustang Mach-E
• Built on or before 11-Aug-2021
• Fan noise occurs in level 2 charging

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Labor Times

DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Reprogram The Appropriate Modules As Required By The Software Update And Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
MT212288​
Actual Time​
Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part:RECAL
Condition Code:04

Service Procedure

1. Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery.

NOTE: To prevent the battery saver mode from activating on the vehicle, make sure the negative cable of the charger is installed on a chassis or engine ground, and not the 12-volt battery negative terminal. Do not have the vehicle plugged into the high voltage battery charger during programming. This can cause incorrect module programming. Make sure only the 12-volt battery charger is installed.

2. Reprogram the PCM using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool.

3. Check the availability of software updates on the following modules and update as required:

• Secondary on-board diagnostic control module (SOBDM)
  • Battery energy control module (BECM)
  • Secondary on-board diagnostic control module B (SOBDMB)
  • Secondary on-board diagnostic control module C (SOBDMC)
  • Anti-lock brake system (ABS) module
NOTE: Only one module may be updated at a time.
Sponsored

Attachments

Jscotty

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Thanks for the update. I just received tsb 21-2278 on Monday. Do you know if there is any big differences?

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Thanks for the update. I just received tsb 21-2278 on Monday. Do you know if there is any big differences?
Should be no difference. The same modules are updated, so you should have the latest release since you were updated after August 11.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
1. Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery.

NOTE: To prevent the battery saver mode from activating on the vehicle, make sure the negative cable of the charger is installed on a chassis or engine ground, and not the 12-volt battery negative terminal. Do not have the vehicle plugged into the high voltage battery charger during programming. This can cause incorrect module programming. Make sure only the 12-volt battery charger is installed.
Does anyone know if this will be offered OTA or is it a dealer only fix? Improved fan curves would be a bonus.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Does anyone know if this will be offered OTA or is it a dealer only fix? Improved fan curves would be a bonus.
So far we've had some indication that some TSBs (IE - PaaK update) will be available as an OTA, at some point, but nothing concrete. Hoping they get some sort of substantial OTA out soon that actually fixes things. The two so far have had no real changes, and the "preview" of 1.7.1 seems to just be gimmicky Sync additions, no real "fixes" that any of the TSB updates cover.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag
reading over it I'm not sure it could be an ota as one of the steps is hooking the 12v battery to a charger.

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
reading over it I'm not sure it could be an ota as one of the steps is hooking the 12v battery to a charger.
I believe that is only necessary because when programming via CAN using a VCM (e.g. what the dealer uses) , the maximum speed is 512kbps, so therefore even a small update can take a while.
I may be misunderstanding, but I believe OTA updates can program modules much much faster than this, and therefore the battery support is not necessary.

I noticed when using GFDRS to update my GWM A module, it downloads the software to a USB stick for you to stick in to update, and if that fails it will let you do it over CAN but warns you it will take over an hour using that method.

I did this TSB myself with my own GFDRS and it took about 15 minutes total for all the included modules.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I believe that is only necessary because when programming via CAN using a VCM (e.g. what the dealer uses) , the maximum speed is 512kbps, so therefore even a small update can take a while.
I may be misunderstanding, but I believe OTA updates can program modules much much faster than this, and therefore the battery support is not necessary.

I noticed when using GFDRS to update my GWM A module, it downloads the software to a USB stick for you to stick in to update, and if that fails it will let you do it over CAN but warns you it will take over an hour using that method.

I did this TSB myself with my own GFDRS and it took about 15 minutes total for all the included modules.
I would be interested on how you got your hands on the data to do your own updates. Was it done with usb? How exactly was it carried out?

One would think it would be to Fords advantage to let people know if it will be OTA in the future to avoid all us running to the dealers. If it will be then it should be stated. PAAK was offered for a limited time (june 24?) and we were informed that it would be OTA this year. Will that actually happen I think it is a must but so far who knows.

So far we've had some indication that some TSBs (IE - PaaK update) will be available as an OTA, at some point, but nothing concrete. Hoping they get some sort of substantial OTA out soon that actually fixes things. The two so far have had no real changes, and the "preview" of 1.7.1 seems to just be gimmicky Sync additions, no real "fixes" that any of the TSB updates cover.
If this update does not happen OTA i will contact my dealer and tell them I have had loud noise while charging. I agree the OTA updates to date do little. I have no need for finger painting or tic tac toe. I have an RPN calculator on my phone and no working knowledge of brackets ;) . What has been updated at my dealers has been meaningful but nothing OTA. Refined fan/cooling curves are of interest to me.

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
I would be interested on how you got your hands on the data to do your own updates. Was it done with usb? How exactly was it carried out?

One would think it would be to Fords advantage to let people know if it will be OTA in the future to avoid all us running to the dealers. If it will be then it should be stated. PAAK was offered for a limited time (june 24?) and we were informed that it would be OTA this year. Will that actually happen I think it is a must but so far who knows.

If this update does not happen OTA i will contact my dealer and tell them I have had loud noise while charging. I agree the OTA updates to date do little. I have no need for finger painting or tic tac toe. I have an RPN calculator on my phone and no working knowledge of brackets ;) . What has been updated at my dealers has been meaningful but nothing OTA. Refined fan/cooling curves are of interest to me.
It's not easy...or cheap.

I purchased a VCM3, which is what plugs between the laptop and the cars OBD port.
https://diagnoex.com/products/ford-...MItM-dx8Pi8gIVycLtCh3VOgOxEAAYASAAEgKgCfD_BwE

You also need a copy of GFDRS, the software for the laptop, with a license...also not cheap
https://www.fordtechservice.dealerc...ds/diagnosticsites/vcmdvd/mcs/idssoftware.asp

Finally you need a MotorCraft login to be able to use GFDRS.
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/User/Login

Once you have all that lot, you effectively have the same as what a dealer has.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I purchased a VCM3, which is what plugs between the laptop and the cars OBD port.
https://diagnoex.com/products/ford-...MItM-dx8Pi8gIVycLtCh3VOgOxEAAYASAAEgKgCfD_BwE

You also need a copy of GFDRS, the software for the laptop, with a license...also not cheap
https://www.fordtechservice.dealerc...ds/diagnosticsites/vcmdvd/mcs/idssoftware.asp

Thank you for the info. Guess after I spend all the coin I will never get a login. A usb download and update is what I was hoping for. Guess all will need to call their service guys. Bit disappoint OTA to date hoping to see a change.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Kudos to you for doing that. I think I'd probably brick my mach e. as I literally don't know what any of the above tech terms mean :)

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
the other thing I'm curious about, will OTAs be free for the life of the vehicle? The warranty period or?

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
I looked at every TSB posted on NHTSA, though this particular one is not yet posted. IIRC there are a couple other TSB's that involve updating those same modules. Would it be safe to assume when they update these modules per this TSB will effectively address all the other TSB's?

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I looked at every TSB posted on NHTSA, though this particular one is not yet posted. IIRC there are a couple other TSB's that involve updating those same modules. Would it be safe to assume when they update these modules per this TSB will effectively address all the other TSB's?
Yes. If the modules are listed in both TSBs, the updates for one will apply to the other. It is just a matter of when you have the updates done. Since they're constantly releasing new and improved software you could need the update again in the future to solve some other problem they come out with a TSB/SSM for.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hello there, Shayne! Yes, its planned for OTA in Q1-2022. There is no risk of damage, just higher fan speed under L1/L2 charging.
From @breeves002 first (EU) thread ? link OTA is looking up and I think it will apply to all vehicles both sides that require it. Now I am hoping we are not on musk time ?.
Sponsored