Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black 2021 Mach-E AWD Extended Range
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Country flag
I take my Mach-E to the car wash frequently (I know, I know) and I noticed a significant amount of water coming into the back hatch as I would towel dry it. Thanks to the forum for pointing out TSB 21-2307! I took it to be fixed, the dealer (which is less than stellar) followed the directions seemingly and said it was fixed. So a few days later I took it back to the car wash and the attached video is what the hatch looks like when I return home. Did they not do something properly or is it beyond what 21-2307 covers? Does anyone else have this problem?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I take my Mach-E to the car wash frequently (I know, I know) and I noticed a significant amount of water coming into the back hatch as I would towel dry it. Thanks to the forum for pointing out TSB 21-2307! I took it to be fixed, the dealer (which is less than stellar) followed the directions seemingly and said it was fixed. So a few days later I took it back to the car wash and the attached video is what the hatch looks like when I return home. Did they not do something properly or is it beyond what 21-2307 covers? Does anyone else have this problem?

That part of the hatch in your video is outside of the seal. That part is open to the outside so it is going to get wet. You can see the kind of line where the seal is actually made. Where the video starts, it is dripping down into the interior part, but its because the hatch is opened and gravity is causing it do drip down.

OP
OP
DRuth086

DRuth086

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Country flag
That part of the hatch in your video is outside of the seal. That part is open to the outside so it is going to get wet. You can see the kind of line where the seal is actually made. Where the video starts, it is dripping down into the interior part, but its because the hatch is opened and gravity is causing it do drip down.
We used to take our CX-5 (prior vehicle to the Mach-E) to the car wash all the time and never saw any residue or soap inside that very exterior perimeter of the vehicle. Which is what caused some concern. I'm surprised the vehicle would allow so much exterior liquid into the hatch where minor electrical would be.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
We used to take our CX-5 (prior vehicle to the Mach-E) to the car wash all the time and never saw any residue or soap inside that very exterior perimeter of the vehicle. Which is what caused some concern. I'm surprised the vehicle would allow so much exterior liquid into the hatch where minor electrical would be.
I mean, this is the area where the button to open the hatch, and the lights for the tag are. They need to be exposed to be accessible.

Zobo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e AWD select standard
Country flag
Well bad news. Mine built 10/1/21 picked up yesterday is doing it. Came here to see if anyone else had the issue. Ton of water came out of the tailgate handle after driving in the rain today.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
As someone who lives in the rainy Pacific Northwest, I don't see how this is a good thing at all. Anybody else seeing this too?

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
This...the water is outside of the interior seals.

B Gray

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Fusion. Pre Mach-E Carb Gray
Country flag
This...the water is outside of the interior seals.
Late to this thread, I took mine in due to a leak and they are saying it is the seals around the tail lights. Also found out there is a recall on the moon roof seals.

FUNgineer

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2018 F150 Lariat FX4, 2021 X5 45e
Occupation
Nerd, Dungeon Master
Country flag
Well bad news. Mine built 10/1/21 picked up yesterday is doing it. Came here to see if anyone else had the issue. Ton of water came out of the tailgate handle after driving in the rain today.
I also noticed this issue today as it has been raining here for a few days. When I opened the rear hatch water was dripping from interior handle in the hatch door. Did you take yours in to the dealer? Did they fix it? What was the verdict?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I also noticed this issue today as it has been raining here for a few days. When I opened the rear hatch water was dripping from interior handle in the hatch door. Did you take yours in to the dealer? Did they fix it? What was the verdict?
If your car was built before July 1 then you are eligible for that TSB. Take it to the dealer and get it fixed. If the water is not on the interior side of the seal then it's not a defect, it's just the way it is.

OP
OP
DRuth086

DRuth086

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Country flag
I did take it thinking that the TSB mentioned below would fix it. They acknowledged that my car did need the TSB and did the work but evidently it was not to fix this particular issue. As many have stated maybe this is normal because the water is on the outside of the seal. Just weird. Have never had a car that holds this amount of residual soap.

jlEMach

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, 1982 Range Rover, MB E450 Wagon
Occupation
Accounting
Country flag
Yes, ours picked up 11/30 has the problem

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Same issue. Doesn't bother me, but I did have to make some modifications to the car washing process because water builds up in the gaps around the liftgate and then slowly drips out leaving streaks and spots. So now, after washing the car, the first thing I do is open the liftgate before I start drying, which allows that water to drip out while I'm toweling it down.
Sponsored