TSB 21-2405 Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator - Various Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) - Built On Or Before 09-Sep-2021

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
This is the GSM TSB we saw in Europe but they have now released it here.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator - Various Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) - Built On Or Before 09-Sep-2021
21-2405
16 November 2021​
Model:
Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 09-Sep-2021 may exhibit an illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator and/or display the message Shift System Fault – Service required with DTC U0103:87 stored in the secondary on board diagnostic module (SOBDMC). Some vehicles may also exhibit DTCs U0100:00, U0121, U0140, and/or U0155 stored in the gear shift module (GSM). This may be due to the software in the GSM. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram the GSM.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021 Mustang Mach-E
• Built on or before 09-Sep-2021
• Illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator and/or display the message Shift System Fault with DTC U0103:87

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Retrieve DTCs And Reprogram The GSM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212405A​
0.4 Hrs.​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:RECAL
Condition Code:04
Service Procedure
1. Reprogram the GSM using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool.
Sponsored

fmcgirt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E
Country flag
This is the GSM TSB we saw in Europe but they have now released it here.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Illuminated Powertrain Malfunction (Wrench) Indicator - Various Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) - Built On Or Before 09-Sep-2021
21-2405
16 November 2021​
Model:
Ford
2021 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or before 09-Sep-2021 may exhibit an illuminated powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator and/or display the message Shift System Fault – Service required with DTC U0103:87 stored in the secondary on board diagnostic module (SOBDMC). Some vehicles may also exhibit DTCs U0100:00, U0121, U0140, and/or U0155 stored in the gear shift module (GSM). This may be due to the software in the GSM. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram the GSM.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Retrieve DTCs And Reprogram The GSM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212405A​
0.4 Hrs.​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:RECAL
Condition Code:04
Service Procedure
1. Reprogram the GSM using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool.
Thanks for posting this. After 7 months and 1125 miles of completely trouble free operation this sw bug got us. I seems that OTA 1.7.1 two days ago may have triggered it. The first time I started our MachE 4X Premium Extended Battery after the update I got the "Service Soon" message with the yellow wench. Also got a FordPass message that "A Powertrain or AWD fault had been detected, contact your dealer as soon as possible. So after a couple of trys at turning off and on, letting it sit for awhile and trying it again, I went to the dealer. The messages lasted long enough for him to take pics of them but the first time he turned the car off and then later back on, all messages disappeared and all appeared normal. Glad we had those pics!

I had been feeling rather smug about this car with all the problems others have had and since I had bought a second fob and did not implement PAAK upon delivery. Now I am thinking of disabling the Automatic Software Update Option, at least until Ford gets its act together, maybe about a year from now if we are lucky.

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
I had this (in Europe). No drama, car works fine.
An hour in the shop to fix to get rid of the message.
The DTC says PCM lost connection with the GSM. I cleared DTC with carscanner for Android, but didn't help.

fmcgirt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E
Country flag
I had this (in Europe). No drama, car works fine.
An hour in the shop to fix to get rid of the message.
The DTC says PCM lost connection with the GSM. I cleared DTC with carscanner for Android, but didn't help.
It would be really nice if the Ford Software Developers would/could initiate a complete system self test OTA after an update like 1.7.1 was installed and then clean up any errors it caused. Do this instead of the having the car owners or service depts have to go through doing this. Even better do this before releasing the update. There are many reports on this forum of problems that 1.7.1 has caused, both directly and indirectly. It is very good that these people are not developing critical medical software.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
It would be really nice if the Ford Software Developers would/could initiate a complete system self test OTA after an update like 1.7.1 was installed and then clean up any errors it caused. Do this instead of the having the car owners or service depts have to go through doing this. Even better do this before releasing the update. There are many reports on this forum of problems that 1.7.1 has caused, both directly and indirectly. It is very good that these people are not developing critical medical software.
Well…it is supposed to. The problem is there are edge cases that Ford didn’t plan for or foresee. Which is the biggest problem. It’s different testing something versus all of the real world variables. Sure they probably should have been able to avoid a lot of it but this is new for Ford and let’s be real they just aren’t very good at it.

fmcgirt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E
Country flag
Well…it is supposed to. The problem is there are edge cases that Ford didn’t plan for or foresee. Which is the biggest problem. It’s different testing something versus all of the real world variables. Sure they probably should have been able to avoid a lot of it but this is new for Ford and let’s be real they just aren’t very good at it.
I don't think all of this should be so new for Ford. Some of it happened with the newly redesigned Explorer around 2007-2008 when they first went with Sync. Two of my neighbors each bought one and you could hear them complaining half a block away - with many of the same complaints we are making today - and with Ford dealers trying to cope. Writing, debugging, testing, delivering, and maintaining control software and firmware is extremely hard and if you don't commit to that as a company the current situation will continue.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
These are among the reasons OTA rollout has been slower than hoped.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
These are among the reasons OTA rollout has been slower than hoped.
Its why they have 8 open positions for OTA engineers lol. They didn't think ahead very well.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I don't think all of this should be so new for Ford. Some of it happened with the newly redesigned Explorer around 2007-2008 when they first went with Sync. Two of my neighbors each bought one and you could hear them complaining half a block away - with many of the same complaints we are making today - and with Ford dealers trying to cope. Writing, debugging, testing, delivering, and maintaining control software and firmware is extremely hard and if you don't commit to that as a company the current situation will continue.
Based on reading a few TSBs I have long term hope Ford will sort these things out in the next 12 months… the reason is that the TSBs apply to both the MME and Lightning. A lot of the modules are the same. The F150 lightning will have whatever resources are needed to get this right… Come to think of it, the MME is a bit of a shakedown for the Lightning.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
Where can I get a copy of the TSB? I'm compiling a binder copy of all the items. The NHTSA repository is way behind.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Where can I get a copy of the TSB? I'm compiling a binder copy of all the items. The NHTSA repository is way behind.
Ok I'm curious, why are you making a binder of all the TSB's?

evmass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Silver Mach E Select
Country flag
Did you get this binder created? I'm looking to do the same thing.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
Did you get this binder created? I'm looking to do the same thing.
I did, but haven't updated it with SSMs or TSBs since then. But it is a nice place for me to keep my recall service receipts, etc. as well.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Three days short of a year with the car and today upon start up I got the Service Vehicle Soon message along with Powertrain Malfunction error in Fordpass. We took it in to our local Ford dealer and they applied a GSM update per TSB 21-2405.
Sponsored