Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
EDIT: Superseded by TSB 22-2150. Use the updated procedure.

Here's the official fix for all those stuck at Power-Up 1.7.1:

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 22-2117 22 March 2022
Ford Power-Up Software Update Failure Message And/Or Unable To Update The APIM Or TCU With The FDRS And USB Drive - Module Recovery

Issue:
Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E and F-150 customers may report experiencing a Ford Power-Up software update failure message via the vehicle display and/or FordPass. In addition, some technicians may experience the inability to update the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) or telematics control unit (TCU) using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) and Universal Serial Bus (USB) drive. It may also be observed on the PTS - Over The Air (OTA) dashboard that multiple APIM and/or TCU updates have failed, or a no OTA history message is displayed. This may be due to a internal software error. To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure to recover the APIM/TCU.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:
• 2021 F-150/Mustang Mach-E
• Ford Power-Up software update failure message via the vehicle display or FordPass
• Inability to update the APIM or TCU using the FDRS and USB drive
Estimated completion time: 1-2 hours

See attached PDF for the full procedure. Your dealer will need the listed adapters and cables to perform the fix (see below). Remind them to update their FDRS software to the latest version before attempting, outdated software may cause the procedure to fail. The technician will need both the USB and the ethernet adapter ready to go depending on what the computer instructs during the procedure.

TSB 22-2117 requires the use of commercially available adapters and cables to perform the APIM/TCU recovery procedure. Therefore it is recommended that dealers obtain these components in advance to prepare for the need to perform the TSB service procedure. The reference to use the following USB-to-Ethernet adapters isbased upon successful testing conducted by Ford: Trendnet TU2-ET100 USB2.0, Trendnet TU3-ETG USB 3.0 or Startech USB31000S USB 3.0. Refer to TSB 22-2117 for additional information.
NOTE: Figures are labeled immediately above, not below. I've fixed the pagination in the PDF so it makes more sense. Your dealer might be confused if they print it off the default way.

Access to the APIM USB cable behind the console side cover is required, it appears this is done to bypass the USB hub built into the port. The hub before the APIM may have caused technical difficulties during the original procedure, hence this TSB is the workaround.

Console side cover removal:

View from driver's footwell:
Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 22-2117 - Fix for Stuck Power-Up 1.7.1 Update Floor Console Left

Remove the green cover, remove the bolt. Pull outward (3 clips to undo) then rearward on the panel to remove. Install in reverse.

Attachments

Last edited:

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
So will this be a dealer only fix or can this be deployed OTA do you think? Ford told me last week that an OTA fix will be available in Q2, which starts next week I guess.

metalpro2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e 1st edition
Occupation
Software architect
Country flag
Do I understand this correctly? Some job 1 vehicles have a faulty USB hub (hardware) and that is the reason it needs to be bypassed? What the ........ . #whynotreplacetheubitself?

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job 1 2021 Mach-E (SR AWD)
Country flag
Bummer on the need for Ethernet; the laptop I use for FDRS doesn't have one.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I cannot see any other reason why the covers need to go off for updates actually.....
Pretty sure they are eliminating any weak points or they had an experience where it worked better without going through the hub, don’t know why a USB hub would mess with an OTA anyways.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I cannot see any other reason why the covers need to go off for updates actually.....
Maybe the APIM uses some kind of driver to connect to the USB hub, and that's part of what was hosed in the botched 1.7.1 update. I don't think we'll ever really know, but the issue isn't with the USB hub since that doesn't need to be replaced.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Bypassing the USB hub has nothing to do with the issue. Its just part of the solution.

Bypassing the USB hub just takes out one layer of potential issues when doing this update. This fastboot process is connecting directly to the module and writing the data directly to the memory of it, instead of doing a normal update process. It more like doing re-image of a computer.

Also, with the ethernet part, there is always a risk the USB hub would cause the usb to ethernet adapter to not be recognized by the car or cause some data corruption.

My guess is you could just plug into the USB hub and it would work fine, but its easy enough to bypass it in the Mach E so they just have you do it to be extra safe.

metalpro2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e 1st edition
Occupation
Software architect
Country flag
Bypassing the USB hub has nothing to do with the issue. Its just part of the solution.

Bypassing the USB hub just takes out one layer of potential issues when doing this update. This fastboot process is connecting directly to the module and writing the data directly to the memory of it, instead of doing a normal update process. It more like doing re-image of a computer.

Also, with the ethernet part, there is always a risk the USB hub would cause the usb to ethernet adapter to not be recognized by the car or cause some data corruption.

My guess is you could just plug into the USB hub and it would work fine, but its easy enough to bypass it in the Mach E so they just have you do it to be extra safe.
My understanding :

OTA (cellular module) <-A-> USB HUB <-B-> APIM

Looking at docs I think the instruction is to put wires at B, not 'in' the hub itself...
But... I can be wrong.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
My understanding :

OTA (cellular module) <-A-> USB HUB <-B-> APIM

Looking at docs I think the instruction is to put wires at B, not 'in' the hub itself...
But... I can be wrong.
The disconnect point is where the USB hub connects to the APIM. So you're essentially unplugging the USB hub from the APIM, and connecting directly to the APIM, just taking that one link out of the chain.

It appears that after the APIM is working correctly, it then uses the ethernet adapter to communicate to the TCU through the APIM over the cars ethernet network.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Wait - if the vehicle has an internal Ethernet connection (via USB), why are dealers doing updates through the very slow OBD II connector? That seems stupid (paging @ChasingCoral - I just said something was “stupid” again! ?????)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Wait - if the vehicle has an internal Ethernet connection (via USB), why are dealers doing updates through the very slow OBD II connector? That seems stupid (paging @ChasingCoral - I just said something was “stupid” again! ?????)
Many software updates are done using the USB. I've seen techs installing software in Marlin this way. Here hard drives, laptops, and special diagnostic tools are plugged into both the USB under the main screen and into the OBDII.
Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 22-2117 - Fix for Stuck Power-Up 1.7.1 Update IMG_7733
Sponsored