generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
My conclusion is that they very specifically want it to be via Ethernet from the computer. Otherwise, they'd let you just do everything via USB.
They wouldn't have any way of knowing (or caring) how your computer is connected to an Ethernet adapter as long as it has one.
Sponsored

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
They wouldn't have any way of knowing (or caring) how your computer is connected to an Ethernet adapter as long as it has one.
Again, if true, why wouldn't they let you just do the whole thing via USB?

USB Adapter <> Ethernet <> USB Adapter doesn't make sense.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Again, if true, why wouldn't they let you just do the whole thing via USB?

USB Adapter <> Ethernet <> USB Adapter doesn't make sense.
If the protocol needs to be Ethernet, sending it over a USB to USB cable would require a special driver for the laptop. It's much more universal to just use a laptop's built-in Ethernet port or an external USB Ethernet adapter that comes with its own drivers or can use the default Windows drivers.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
If the protocol needs to be Ethernet, sending it over a USB to USB cable would require a special driver for the laptop. It's much more universal to just use a laptop's built-in Ethernet port or an external USB Ethernet adapter that comes with its own drivers or can use the default Windows drivers.
Hmm. Time to ping my IT department to see if I can borrow some stuff.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
My ONT is in my garage, next to the car. Maybe I should just begin plugging the vehicle into a switch port to get updates faster ????

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hmm. Time to ping my IT department to see if I can borrow some stuff.
I suspect any USB ethernet adapter will work. And the other adapters can be generic as well.
I just got my order from Amazon with all the pieces to do this.

ProximusAl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E - SR-AWD - Star White
Country flag
I suspect any USB ethernet adapter will work. And the other adapters can be generic as well.
I just got my order from Amazon with all the pieces to do this.
I have done the same also. I dont have a stuck 1.7.1, but it cant hurt to have all the bits for the future :)

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have done the same also. I dont have a stuck 1.7.1, but it cant hurt to have all the bits for the future :)
Exactly, I don't have the issue either, but If something does come up, better to be prepared.

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Exactly, I don't have the issue either, but If something does come up, better to be prepared.
I'm with you on this but hopefully this doesn't become a frequent issue where we see templates posted to drill an access hole to get to the APIM cable easily ?

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
All of these updates that only a dealer can perform requires that the car be within warranty coverage or ESP. So if this were to happen to a car that's out of warranty, you're SOL? Fortunately for me, my car was able to get the stuck 1.7.1 unstuck after about 2 months OTA. What happens if Ford sends another update that gets stuck (or worse) when my car is out of warranty? Can @Ford Motor Company chime in?

Taekwonmoe

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang MachE
Occupation
Animator
Country flag
So I just called my guy at Ford and they are having trouble tracking down one of these pieces. I threw in the, "So you guys have to go through the floor panel to bypass the usb up front?" and he knew exactly what I was talking about, thank God. Anyway, buy these ahead of time in case they don't have it you can just hand them one of these.....lol. Getting closer guys!!!!!

rotunda.png

rotunda2.png

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Additional info provided today:

TSB 22-2117 requires the use of commercially available adapters and cables to perform the APIM/TCU recovery procedure. Therefore it is recommended that dealers obtain these components in advance to prepare for the need to perform the TSB service procedure. The reference to use the following USB-to-Ethernet adapters isbased upon successful testing conducted by Ford: Trendnet TU2-ET100 USB2.0, Trendnet TU3-ETG USB 3.0 or Startech USB31000S USB 3.0. Refer to TSB 22-2117 for additional information.

So aftermarket adapters are fine to use, they don't have to be the ones specifically from Ford.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I find the comment about the dealer who only has one qualified EV tech to be laughable. Running updates on these cars is hardly rocket science if you have the proper tool (VCMII/III) and the FDRS software, which why would a dealership not have these? The software shows you exactly which updates the vehicle needs, and even provides step by step instructions during the update where needed (APIM is a good example). In other words, if I can figure it out, the dealership should also. That's just an anti-EV copout on the part of the dealership in my opinion...
You are generally correct.

opus

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dwightbattle.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
UX/Product Designer
Country flag
My Mustang has been at the dealership for almost two weeks now. My service advisor mentioned something about a new TSB being issued, and needing to get some special hardware, so putting two and two together, I'm guessing it's this. They've had to engage with some tech team for help, and after my particularly spicy Twitter rant the other day, things have been escalated on that side as well. My service department's latest gambit is to just stop answering the phone for either myself or Ford, so things are now getting escalated.

I'm hoping to get my car back next week, but I don't have a lot of hope. What I do have is a quote to sell the damn thing, because I'm done with all of this.

TDAnthony

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER 4x
Country flag
My car is currently in the shop (stuck somewhere in the middle of 1.7.1)… they are currently telling me they plan to replace the APIM.

Question is: Do I ask them if they are up to speed on the service bulletin or do I let them try and replace the APIM? Is it 1/2 dozen one way, 6 the other, or is one way more advantageous?
Sponsored