mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
Okay ... well you and I must have vastly different ways of thinking.
Not really. If you are dealing with limited information, near zero idea what the majority of the software getting pushed through is doing, unclear specs from hardware due to NDA or simply because they have only one customer with that design...it's rare you'll have a definite root cause since so much of the car is a black box. You start with symptoms, classify similar symptoms to see if they could be related, then you trace that back to a root cause if possible. Someone like me that has zero time to look into this stuff browses this forum and maybe a few other sites and sees 12v issues reported everywhere from devices not turning off to bad batteries (what from something not turning off or some weird bad core or bad BECM software?). I'm sorry but a 12v battery shouldn't be dying with half a dozen other problems with the car. That's a bad design. You can't even get into the damn car without a 12v...it's a really bad design. The 12v should be protected better than this just like if you're expecting your clients to park their cars in a rat infested sewer maybe the wires should be better protected than they are?

My mistake though if you haven't been seeing it I guess it isn't an issue...just looks really weird to me...even more so when you see customers buy 12v battery monitors for a car that has barely been on the road for a year.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Not really. If you are dealing with limited information, near zero idea what the majority of the software getting pushed through is doing, unclear specs from hardware due to NDA or simply because they have only one customer with that design...it's rare you'll have a definite root cause since so much of the car is a black box. You start with symptoms, classify similar symptoms to see if they could be related, then you trace that back to a root cause if possible. Someone like me that has zero time to look into this stuff browses this forum and maybe a few other sites and sees 12v issues reported everywhere from devices not turning off to bad batteries (what from something not turning off or some weird bad core or bad BECM software?). I'm sorry but a 12v battery shouldn't be dying with half a dozen other problems with the car. That's a bad design. You can't even get into the damn car without a 12v...it's a really bad design. The 12v should be protected better than this just like if you're expecting your clients to park their cars in a rat infested sewer maybe the wires should be better protected than they are?

My mistake though if you haven't been seeing it I guess it isn't an issue...just looks really weird to me...even more so when you see customers buy 12v battery monitors for a car that has barely been on the road for a year.
Here’s a rag for that word vomit.

You’ve either never owned a car or are a troll. Hmmmmmmm, both.

metoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G8 GT
Country flag
What if my HVBJB fails after the warranty period? Will I have to pay for the replacement even though Ford has admitted to having a design flaw?
Its a recall. That has nothing to do with warranty. I kept receiving recall notifications for my 2009 G8 until I sold it earlier this year. I never went in for the "fixes". I know someone who did and he had to pay nothing.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Its a recall. That has nothing to do with warranty. I kept receiving recall notifications for my 2009 G8 until I sold it earlier this year. I never went in for the "fixes". I know someone who did and he had to pay nothing.
There is no current recall for replacing the hardware.

Addos

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach E AWD
Country flag
This is the first I think I am seeing officially or formally that hardware replacement is now being encouraged. I think this is a step in the right direction. The part that still sucks as a customer, is having it fail and strand you before you can finally get the part that hopefully restores reliability with the car. It really feels like this should just be done proactively to prevent the frustration, aggravation, and agitation customers will inevitably feel when it happens to them. Especially since everything else about the process needs refinement and improvement.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
This is the first I think I am seeing officially or formally that hardware replacement is now being encouraged. I think this is a step in the right direction. The part that still sucks as a customer, is having it fail and strand you before you can finally get the part that hopefully restores reliability with the car. It really feels like this should just be done proactively to prevent the frustration, aggravation, and agitation customers will inevitably feel when it happens to them. Especially since everything else about the process needs refinement and improvement.
I think you're misinterpreting what this is, it's a service bulletin meant for dealer service technicians when a fault in the hardware is detected. It doesn't change anything, Ford was replacing bad parts before this TSB and they will continue to replace them as they fail. This bulletin just summarizes what to repair to make it easier to look up. Replacement is not being encouraged any more than before, your hardware must fail before it is replaced.

Also, you don't have to be stranded if you get the recall software installed. The new software prevents stranding (in most cases). It doesn't suck nearly as bad anymore. You can get the recall software installed now if you haven't yet.

Addos

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, unfortunately, there are going to be a lot of people, like me, that are going to have the hardware fail well before the software update ever gets applied. And even when it does eventually get applied, it doesn't undo the damage already done to the part. So stranding is likely still going to happen. There are a lot of things about this whole thing that are a cascade of problems. From horrible towing. Poor updating. And not proactively replacing parts that are failing that are inevitably leading to poor customer experiences. As well as apparently poor communication to dealers about what specifically they were supposed to be doing to resolve the issue. So at least this part is getting addressed, but everything else is still a mess.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah, unfortunately, there are going to be a lot of people, like me, that are going to have the hardware fail well before the software update ever gets applied. And even when it does eventually get applied, it doesn't undo the damage already done to the part. So stranding is likely still going to happen.
Call the service departments in your area and find out which one has earliest availability. They are able to install the software update associated with the recall as of about a month ago.

Addos

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Call the service departments in your area and find out which one has earliest availability. They are able to install this update as of about a month ago.
It took having my car fail, before I could get all the updates for the car. And sure, that helps going forward for THIS issue, What happens when the next major update needs to happen to prevent an issue, and it takes forever to get that one as well?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It took having my car fail, before I could get all the updates for the car. And sure, that helps going forward for THIS issue, What happens when the next major update needs to happen to prevent an issue, and it takes forever to get that one as well?
It isn't taking forever for dealers to get these updates. Not this one. Not previous ones. You just need to schedule a service visit.

Addos

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It isn't taking forever for dealers to get these updates. Not this one. Not previous ones. You just need to schedule a service visit.
Why even bother with OTA at all if they can't do them in a timely manner? Just kill OTA and have all updates be dealership updates at that point. The minute an update this critical and serious was available, it should have been pushed out to cars immediately. Not, having to beg and plea with a dealer to apply. Also where is the proactivity from dealers, reaching out to customers that bought Mach Es and scheduling it as a courtesy to make sure it has been done? Why am I having to hound them to make it happen?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Seems like the OTA for this update is going out to drivers as of last night. Get that applied and it lowers the chances of being stranded IF your contactors weld/fail.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Why even bother with OTA at all if they can't do them in a timely manner? Just kill OTA and have all updates be dealership updates at that point. The minute an update this critical and serious was available, ti should have been pushed out to cars immediately. Not, having to beg and plea with a dealer to apply.
Ok... I finally went and skimmed through your post history. I think I'm mostly caught up now.

In this case, the remedies for 22S41 are available through dealers and through OTA. I received mine via OTA weeks ago. A friend got his updated in less than an hour at a local dealer about a month ago.

So for you and most of us, it's a choice of two 'evils.' The waiting period for the OTA update, or the time spent communicating with a dealer and sitting in their lobby while they update the vehicle. 🤷

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
So for you and most of us, it's a choice of two 'evils.' The waiting period for the OTA update, or the time spent communicating with a dealer and sitting in their lobby while they update the vehicle. 🤷
or a 3rd option, as in my case, of sitting at two different dealers and then opening a Ford case that went nowhere, to deal with the two dealers not doing any updates yet charging Ford for them anyway, and then not being able to get the recall update at all. well,still waiting to see if OTA comes and installs it or not after this fiasco.
Sponsored