jason330i

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD
Country flag
Anyone else notice that this has a different build date than the recall/stop sale? Mine was "produced" on May 27 which was after the stop sale but still fits within this TSB.
Dang it! Ours was built on 5/27 too. Guess we got the old part. So close!
Sponsored

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
To add on to what @macchiaz-o said...

If the vehicle is driveable then the HVB is not disabled and everything, including the LVB will operate normally.

One of the likely reasons for this TSB was because dealerships would receive a vehicle with HVBJB failure and (sometimes) see hundreds of DTCs related to a low battery condition, with a singular HVBJB failure in the middle. These dealerships, aren't like some of us who have been looking at these issues on the forum for months, so they start at the top and work down instead of going right to the BECM module to look for HVBJB failure. They would then call the customer and tell the customer that they had a dead LVB or a 12v issue. That customer (forum member) would say "I have a dead LVB or 12v issue". This lead to speculation here on the forum and it led to long diagnosis times with dealers because they kept looking at the wrong thing.

We are working with one person in DMs right now going through this exact thing with a dealer. Hopefully, this TSB will put all that to rest and get dealers moving on the correct track when they get a HVBJB failure with a discharged LVB.
there are however other 12v issues not related to the HVBJB which doesn't appear anyone is tracking right now on the forum??? however the end result to the customer is the same in which they become stranded. I think the original recall claimed some 200+ customers with an HVBJB related problem? Does anyone anywhere besides ford know how many 12v related issues NOT related to HVBJB there are? Perhaps this doesn't belong in this thread but not sure where else to put it since there are so many other 12v issues reported.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
there are however other 12v issues not related to the HVBJB which doesn't appear anyone is tracking right now on the forum??? however the end result to the customer is the same in which they become stranded. I think the original recall claimed some 200+ customers with an HVBJB related problem? Does anyone anywhere besides ford know how many 12v related issues NOT related to HVBJB there are? Perhaps this doesn't belong in this thread but not sure where else to put it since there are so many other 12v issues reported.
You and I have had this conversation before. I run VINs all the time and I don't see this influx of LVB/12v issues that you claim are here. Many times people had their dealerships say it was a dead LVB, but as I said it was a symptom, not a cause and those dealerships were wrong. There's no reason to track symptoms of a different component failure since the LVB has nothing to do with it.

You keep saying there's 12v "issues". What are these issues? Can you be specific? Does the guy who had a rodent eat his wires count since his LVB was dead?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
If I'm not unique, then it hasn't gone out to all EA yet.
I don't think you're unique. I haven't seen OTAs go out for a while to EA and non-EA alike. I'm willing to bet that cars weren't updated enough to accept the recall OTA.

jeffvick2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 TSX, 2017 Civic, MACHE GT grabber blue
Occupation
CPA
Country flag
I am just guessing here but it seems to me that the software was probably cut in the day after the stop sale and this TSB is evidence of the hardware cut-in on the new HVBJBs. 🤷‍♂️😱🐩
Yes, it will be interesting to see if this issue exists for cars manufactured after 5/28. Perhaps one of the side benefits of having to wait so long for my MME GT....production date of 9/19.

mwtechy

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang v6, 2021 Mustang MachE Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
You and I have had this conversation before. I run VINs all the time and I don't see this influx of LVB/12v issues that you claim are here. Many times people had their dealerships say it was a dead LVB, but as I said it was a symptom, not a cause and those dealerships were wrong. There's no reason to track symptoms of a different component failure since the LVB has nothing to do with it.

You keep saying there's 12v "issues". What are these issues? Can you be specific? Does the guy who had a rodent eat his wires count since his LVB was dead?
Yes? I mean what moron designed a car with such exposed wires that a rodent can eat through it? Perhaps I was mistaken, I clearly am one case and it appears they even had a fix in a release to disable the backlight in the control panel as it was draining the 12v...so yeah enough to have a software fix to correct some of the problems related to the 12v. Clearly you're off the subject though and not interested. I'd at least like to hear anyone else that have had specifically 12v only issues I just don't have time to track a bunch of cases or something....and obviously don't post in this thread since it's not related.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Yes? I mean what moron designed a car with such exposed wires that a rodent can eat through it? Perhaps I was mistaken, I clearly am one case and it appears they even had a fix in a release to disable the backlight in the control panel as it was draining the 12v...so yeah enough to have a software fix to correct some of the problems related to the 12v. Clearly you're off the subject though and not interested. I'd at least like to hear anyone else that have had specifically 12v only issues I just don't have time to track a bunch of cases or something....and obviously don't post in this thread since it's not related.
Okay ... well you and I must have vastly different ways of thinking. Everything I do, day in and day out, requires a root cause analysis (RCA). In my world, anything other than the root cause of something is a fire that you can put out, but will flame up in time. When I look at issues with the MME, my brain goes to root cause. When something is symptomatic of a root cause it provides clues, but focusing on those clues, you'll never find the actual issue.

You're free to start a thread on 12v issues if you feel that there's some wide spread issue. I think that most 12v issues have been tied back to misdiagnosis or misunderstanding of root causes.

P. T. Magoo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Volt, '22 MME Ca Rt-1
Occupation
Physical Therapist, Freelance Trombonist
Country flag
A parable to defend @DevSecOps's thesis...

We run into the same thing in medicine all the time. Even in the lowly backwaters of Physical Medicine and Rehab. Chase the pain with pain meds, miss the hip bursitis. Chase the bursitis with therapeutic ultrasound, miss the added joint friction causing it. Chase the friction with lubricating injections, miss the mobilizer muscles trying to be stabilizers. Chase motion muscles trying to stabilize with EMGs or some such, miss the instability from ligamentous laxity. Chase that, miss the leg length discrepancy you should have caught when the person walked into the clinic. But that could be due to a pathological fracture due to metastatic cancer.

Somebody gets pain meds or ultrasound that corrects the symptoms, doesn't get the bone scan or x-ray that could save their life years or months down the line. When I started my career, ultrasound fixed darn near everything. We don't use it as much now.

Luckily, in medicine we're taught to use Occam's Razor and rule out red flags and the most obvious stuff first. Even if it costs money in the short run. Look at the guy's postural alignment. Maybe request some x-rays.

That said, I have a stable leg length discrepancy and I'm on a first name basis with the guy that's been putting lifts on my shoe for years.

The sinister stuff was ruled out decades ago and my short leg is from a fracture from a seat belt that saved my life but shortened my leg like 30 years ago.

Root cause analysis. Use historical data and similar case studies, look for the root cause and try fixing it first, don't chase the symptoms around all day. Worth the effort in the long run.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
You're trying to hold water in your hands, holy cow.

Lol, what moron? Almost every single car on the planet has "exposed wires" such that a rodent can eat through. My friend has a Lamborghini and just had rats eat his wiring harness, $50k job LOL. Another friend has had rats eat wires on his Range Rover on multiple occasions. He gets it fixed, about 6 months later, happens again.

I don't even know what you're after with this 12v battery thing. All major 12v battery issues were a symptom, as explained to you. There have been the odd 12v battery drain due to software glitches - headlights switching from auto to on, IPC not turning off and draining the battery, welcome lighting triggering multiple times from PaaK and causing drain, etc. But there is no massive 12v battery issue that you seem to be trying to uncover.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
My friend has a Lamborghini and just had rats eat his wiring harness, $50k job LOL. Another friend has had rats eat wires on his Range Rover on multiple occasions. He gets it fixed, about 6 months later, happens again.
FWIW a friend with similar rat-eating-insulation issues props the hoods of his cars open with a 2x4 sideways. Their rat exterminator told them to do it as rats don't like to nest in well ventilated areas... He hasn't has the problem since.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
FWIW a friend with similar rat-eating-insulation issues props the hoods of his cars open with a 2x4 sideways. Their rat exterminator told them to do it as rats don't like to nest in well ventilated areas... He hasn't has the problem since.
Haha, I’ve given them all kinds of tips but the ultra rich will do what the ultra rich will do!

jbooth

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit, Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Well I pulled codes and nothing that even looks like the "electrical system drain" as a code. Guess I need to find it firing and see if I can pull codes then.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Yeah, for ICE vehicles this is the best deterrent. I do the same with my Audi since I drive it a lot less. Rats/Mice won't nest without an enclosed area. It doesn't provide the security they want.

The foam/insulation is made with a soy byproduct which attracts them to eat it.

I also put WiFi enabled rat traps at the wheels.
Sponsored