Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Well you could buy the Mongoose from Sam and a Clore PL2320 or two for less than $700. Plenty of people on here would be willing to guide you through the steps remotely if you want.

I think OTAs are provided for life but we know how long those take. Ford should offer an extended warranty for software updates only. They could call it ModuleCAREā„¢. šŸ˜‰
Iā€™m thinking about how messed up this is, if I pay $600 for BlueCruise and my car is over 36k miles, am I not entitled to have my BlueCruise actually work without paying money for a software update?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Iā€™m thinking about how messed up this is, if I pay $600 for BlueCruise and my car is over 36k miles, am I not entitled to have my BlueCruise actually work without paying money for a software update?
Shop labor costs money. $600 covers the development and mapping data costs, not support costs unless the agreement says otherwise.

So did an IPC update just come out today or is the IPC update an old one?
The TSB doesnā€™t specify an IPC update.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Well you could buy the Mongoose from Sam and a Clore PL2320 or two for less than $700. Plenty of people on here would be willing to guide you through the steps remotely if you want.

I think OTAs are provided for life but we know how long those take. Ford should offer an extended warranty for software updates only. They could call it ModuleCAREā„¢. šŸ˜‰
Sorry for my limited knowledge. What is a Clore PL2320? Sounds important...

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Shop labor costs money. $600 covers the development and mapping data costs, not support costs unless the agreement says otherwise.

Ah, duh, misread. Are the alignments/calibrations difficult to do on your own - rear, 360, etc.?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
this isnā€™t part of the powertrain warranty? Kinda crazy this stuff isnā€™t covered after 36k miles seeing how many bugs thereā€™s been with the software. Honestly itā€™s a bit insulting.
That was part of the reason why I cancelled my Lightning reservation and ordered a Rivian. Those come with 5 year 60k miles bumper to bumper and then 8 yr 175k miles powertrain. For my use case, that is better coverage than Ford offers.

I have been a Ford customer for 25 years. Purchased maybe 100 vehicles in that time? This is the first one that has software that spoils or stops working for no apparent reason. Changing out a sensor or solenoid is child's play but keeping up with flaky software is quite hard for me. Not used to having a vehicle that is so delicate in that area.

This IPMA fault is really strange. It worked fine for 40k miles and then starts acting up. Usually that means hardware is failing. Yet the corrective fix is software? So the software went bad after 40k miles and new software will make the car work again? That seems really hard to understand. A bad sensor or bad module or bad connector I can understand. But software that went bad just because it is 18 months old seems weird to me.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Sorry for my limited knowledge. What is a Clore PL2320? Sounds important...
Thatā€™s the battery charger I use for software updates. You need about 30A of charging during updates.

Ah, duh, misread. Are the alignments/calibrations difficult to do on your own - rear, 360, etc.?
I havenā€™t had to do that yet, but from what I understand you just have to drive the car around on a road with good lines for a while until it learns lane position.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

So you donā€™t have a reasonable expectation to get something you paid for? I just think itā€™s something to think about. Software shouldnā€™t be tied to mileage, only time, like every other device thatā€™s been made.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Thatā€™s the battery charger I use for software updates. You need about 30A of charging during updates.

I havenā€™t had to do that yet, but from what I understand you just have to drive the car around on a road with good lines for a while until it learns lane position.
Oh okay. I have a machine already. I am pretty sure it will do the job but will verify.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
That was part of the reason why I cancelled my Lightning reservation and ordered a Rivian. Those come with 5 year 60k miles bumper to bumper and then 8 yr 175k miles powertrain. For my use case, that is better coverage than Ford offers.

I have been a Ford customer for 25 years. Purchased maybe 100 vehicles in that time? This is the first one that has software that spoils or stops working for no apparent reason. Changing out a sensor or solenoid is child's play but keeping up with flaky software is quite hard for me. Not used to having a vehicle that is so delicate in that area.

This IPMA fault is really strange. It worked fine for 40k miles and then starts acting up. Usually that means hardware is failing. Yet the corrective fix is software? So the software went bad after 40k miles and new software will make the car work again? That seems really hard to understand. A bad sensor or bad module or bad connector I can understand. But software that went bad just because it is 18 months old seems weird to me.
Me and my Wife are thinking Rivian as well. How much did you have to put down for a deposit?

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I saw this earlier today, printed it out and went to my dealer for an estimate. They said it would be $700-$800 ish. Sounds reasonable to me. Just not sure I want to spend the money and not fix my issue. ???

Would probably be more convenient and perhaps less expensive to get a cable and FDRS license and study the tutorials.

Will think it over this weekend and see what next week brings.
You are saying now you are charged to take some of the bazillion glitches out of this vehicle due to mileage and using the dealer. Memory leaks in software can cause hardware to act up over time and it is the first thing to try for your cruise. AI can get confused over time.

OTA appears to be a complete fail to date. Just want the mechanics updated to get rid of a bit of the stupid. I was holding and being patience for OTA but now not sure. Would be nice after the mess so far with OTA for them to come out and tell us where we will all be going and what we should expect. Really thought the modules that could be updated OTA would be up to date. I am thinking not so far.

Do you still get free OTA out of warranty? There is a cruise control module update but when or if ever OTA I do not know. That the dealer may do for free? Open a claim thru ford and see where it goes?

Software looks pretty idiot proof from what I see but yes they don't give that adapter away for free. The cost of subscription the binding to computer the 30 day reactivation is a bit much and gross. They should make a single vehicle subscription at a reasonable cost and tone down the paranoia on thief control. I would drag an old black box out and throw it on the passenger seat and set a monitor outside on that side. Really would not want to run a cat5 just an extension cord so would need the off line file procedure running back and forth with a USB drive I guess. This is not what I thought we were buy into and OTA was to do that for me seamlessly and all behind the scenes.

Anyone know what the service life of OTA for this vehicle is? Anyone know if OTA updates will eventually ota update our vehicles? You buy a new Iphone and they only keep your software up to date for a year and a half ;). Short service life on electronics is what I always look for. Makes it look really attractive and future proofed. Drives loyalty.

Min 30 amp charger for hardwired updating? Is that a 240 V ;).

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
I would buy that ModuleCAREā„¢ tbh, but Ford really needs extend their warranties to be competitive with Rivian and others.

As it stands now, I think I should get the Extended Warranty from Ford. Will that cover labor for TSB updates after the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty expired?

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
This new TSB is interesting as I have been getting Front Camera Faults and an intermittent disabled ACC for months (I have a 2021 Job 2 without Blue Cruise). The diagnosis I got from the dealer was that I need a new camera module. Do I also need this TSB to be run to update the modules? I have not heard about this from the dealer.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Me and my Wife are thinking Rivian as well. How much did you have to put down for a deposit?
It was $1500.
I drove a Lightning yesterday.
I drove a Rivian a few weekends ago. I think I prefer the Rivian but really each vehicle has their strong points. I would take either if given the chance.

As not to derail this thread....feel free to message me and I will share my thoughts. I have quite a few concerns with the Rivian but still plan to buy one anyway. :)

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
He said the software updates on these cars never install correctly the first time so he is allowing for several retries. That is consistent with what has been reported here as well. Which is why I think I would be better off buying the cable and trying it myself.

I think this car is going to require a lot of maintenance. Not so much with wrenches and sockets but cables and a laptop. Times are changing....
Thats only because they don't follow the procedure accurately or they abuse their cables and connectors. I'm wishing they used a checklist like aircraft work does.
Sponsored