Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
This one is caused by yanking out the L3 DC-Fast Charge handle before the locking pin has fully retracted. When stopping DCFC, a reminder to always press the button on the charge port to stop charging, WAIT-count to 3, and then remove the DCFC handle after the ring indicator lights have stopped flashing (solid white). Do not press on the handle latch button or try to pull out the cable until the lock is fully retracted. If you push the button and immediately try to yank the DCFC handle while it's retracting, you may have damaged or completely broken off the lock actuator, requiring replacement. A "Charger Service Required" error may display, and disable L3 charging at the next session.

Here is a view of an undamaged locking pin. You can stick your finger in the top of the port and feel if yours is loose or broken. It should feel solid.
Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 22-2355 - Illuminated Charger Service Required Indicator In The IPC And/Or Multiple DTCs Charge Port Lock Pin

For those that don't know, the locking pin is only deployed during L3 DCFC, not during standard L1 or L2 AC charging. It is okay to remove a standard L2 J1772 by pressing the button on the handle and pulling to remove (with a slight pause), but the procedure is different while using DCFC with a CCS plug. With DCFC you must press the button on the charge port and wait several seconds for the cable to unlock before trying to remove it. The owner's manual does not specify a wait period for the unlocking process, I believe it should be edited to include that as a step IMO. I've observed impatient people press the button and immediately start yanking on the handle, so I can see this happening if the cable is forcibly removed early.

Here is a video showing how to unplug properly. Notice the hand doesn't touch the handle while counting to 3:

Note: Some chagers may take longer to stop, up to 6 seconds. Always wait for the solid white charge ring before starting to unplug.

Credit: Crazypostman

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Level 3 Charging - Illuminated Charger Service Required Indicator In The IPC And/Or Multiple DTCs
22-2355
19 September 2022
Model:
Ford
2022 e-Transit
2022 F-150 Lightning
2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E, 2022 e-Transit and F-150 Lightning vehicles may experience inoperative level 3 charging with an illuminated Charger Service Required indicator in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0D93:00, P0D94:00, P0D98:00, P0D9E:00 and/or P0DA0:00 in the secondary on-board diagnostic module (SOBDM). If the charging cord is removed from the charge port without the lock/release button fully depressed, this can damage the charge port locking pin actuator and disable level 3 charging for the next charging session. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace only the charge port lock actuator.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition if the vehicle meets the following criteria:

• One of the following vehicles:
- 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E
- 2022 e-Transit
- 2022 F-150 Lightning

• Level 3 charging inoperative
• Illuminated Charger Service Required indicator
• Charge port lock actuator pin broken and/or missing
• At least one of the following DTCs:
- P0D93:00
- P0D94:00
- P0D98:00
- P0D9E:00
- P0DA0:00

Parts
Service Part NumberQuantityDescription
LJ9Z-10D737-A​
1​
Actuator Assembly

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2022 e-Transit: Inspect And Replace Actuator Following The Service Procedure (Can Be Used With Operation D) (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations Outside Of This Article)
222355A​
1.7 Hrs.​
2022 F-150 Lightning: Inspect And Replace Actuator Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
222355B​
1.2 Hrs.​
2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E: Inspect And Replace Actuator Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
222355C​
1.5 Hrs.​
2022 e-Transit: Additional Time To Perform 360 Degree Camera Alignment (Can Be Use With Operation A)
222355D​
0.7 Hrs.​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:10D737
Condition Code:01
Service Procedure
NOTE: To prevent repeat concerns with the charge port lock actuator, fully depress the charge port lock/release button before disconnecting the charge cord. (Figure 1) The charge port lock actuator may also be released by utilizing the vehicle's center display screen menu or depressing the release button located on the level 3 direct current (DC) fast charger.
Figure 1
Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 22-2355 - Illuminated Charger Service Required Indicator In The IPC And/Or Multiple DTCs imagen2

• For Mach-E vehicles, refer to the Digital Owner’s Manual located in the vehicle’s center display screen by selecting Features > Owner’s Manual > Charging Your Vehicle > DC Charging > Stopping Charging.
• For e-Transit vehicles, refer to the Digital Owner’s Manual located in the vehicle’s center display screen by selecting Features > Owner’s Manual > Charging Your Vehicle - Electric Motor > DC Charging > Stopping Charging.
• For F-150 Lightning vehicles, refer to the Lightning Digital Owner's Manual located in the vehicle’s center display screen by selecting Features > Owner’s Manual > Charging Your Vehicle > DC Charging > Stopping Charging.
1. Inspect the charge port lock actuator pin. (Figure 2) Is the charge port lock actuator pin missing or loose?
Figure 2
Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 22-2355 - Illuminated Charger Service Required Indicator In The IPC And/Or Multiple DTCs imagen2

(1). Yes - proceed to Step 2.
(2). No - this article does not apply. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-03B High Voltage Battery Charging System.
2. De-energize the high voltage system. Refer to WSM, Section 414-03A High Voltage Battery > Mounting and Cable > General Procedures.
3. Gain access to the charging port.
(1). For e-Transit vehicles, remove the front bumper cover. Refer to WSM, Section 501-19 Front Bumper Cover > Bumpers > Disassembly and Assembly.
• Remove the retainers and the charge port cover. (Figure 3)
Figure 3

(2). For Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning vehicles, remove the following components:
• Left front wheel. Refer to WSM, Section 204-04A Wheels and Tires.
• Fender splash shield. Refer to WSM, Section 501-02 Front End Body Panels > Removal and Installation.
• Charge status indicator (CSI) housing assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 414-03B High Voltage Battery Charging System > Removal and Installation.
4. Disconnect the charge cord lock release cable and 4-way electrical connector to the lock actuator. (Figure 4)
Figure 4

5. Remove the 4 bolts holding the charge port to the body bracket. (Figure 5)
Figure 5

6. Release the 2 snap features and slide the charge port downward along the guide track until there is enough space to remove 2 actuator bolts and the actuator. (Figure 6)
Figure 6

7. Install a new actuator and 2 new actuator bolts. Tighten to 1.2 nm (10.6 lb-in).
8. Align the charge port guides with the bracket and slide back up into position until snap features engage and holds the part in place with all four holes lined up.
9. Reuse the 4 charge port bolts. Tighten to 10.5 nm (93 lb-in).
10. Install the charge cord lock release cable and 4-way electrical connector to the lock actuator. (Figure 4)
11. Install the accessibility components.
(1). For e-Transit vehicles, install the retainers and the charge port cover. (Figure 3)
• Reinstall the front bumper cover. Refer to WSM, Section 501-19 Front Bumper Cover > Bumpers > Disassembly and Assembly.
(2). For Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning vehicles, install the following components:
• Left front wheel. Refer to WSM, Section 204-04A Wheels and Tires.
• Fender splash shield. Refer to WSM, Section 501-02 Front End Body Panels > Removal and Installation.
• CSI housing assembly. Refer to WSM, Section 414-03B High Voltage Battery Charging System > Removal and Installation.

Attachments

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
You can usually hear it activate/deactivate too. Also pressing the button next to the charge port to end charging prevents the car from throwing a charge fault at the stations like they do if you stop the charging directly on the station.

Side note: I've always wondered if it would be possible to enable the locking on L2 with that mechanism through software? Would it lock a J1772 if activated?

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Side note: I've always wondered if it would be possible to enable the locking on L2 with that mechanism through software? Would it lock a J1772 if activated?
I don't see why not since it's an electronically controlled actuator, and it's at the top of the receptacle. Ford would just have to decide that they want to and that it's worth their time.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I hit the button and wait until I hear it release the lock. It seems to depend on the DCFC you use. CP200's take FOREVER but the 250's are instant. EA stations are fairly quick too but its different for ABB vs signet chargers slightly.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
For my few DCFC sessions, I have done as @Logal727 and @breeves002 do. Hit the button next to the port, wait until I hear the lock release, then release the cable with the button on the handle. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
You can usually hear it activate/deactivate too. Also pressing the button next to the charge port to end charging prevents the car from throwing a charge fault at the stations like they do if you stop the charging directly on the station.

Wait..what? I stop the charge using the menu on the EA charger and then disconnect. You're not supposed to do that?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Wait..what? I stop the charge using the menu on the EA charger and then disconnect. You're not supposed to do that?
Usually when I do it, the car throws a charge fault that charging stopped and to check the charging station. Doesn't do it when you press the button on the car.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
This is how I do it as well. Tell the charger to stop. The car sees it’s been cut off like he’s drunk and it’s 2AM. Then it lets go of the tap, though with reluctant glances back at the charger.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Usually when I do it, the car throws a charge fault that charging stopped and to check the charging station. Doesn't do it when you press the button on the car.
Ford Mustang Mach-E TSB 22-2355 - Illuminated Charger Service Required Indicator In The IPC And/Or Multiple DTCs Thatsanogood

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I've only DCFC'd three times, but I'm pretty sure that each time that's what I did and I don't recall any errors. One would hope that the EA station is smart enough to let the Mach E knows going down, and that the Mach E is smart enough to take action appropriately.

One would hope.

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
The lock works on AC charging on my vehicle, on a 7kw AC home charger.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
So, I just assumed this is the way everyone was doing it. To stop DC fast I have hit the button next to the charge port, just like the manual says. I don't count to three but you can hear the click of release.

Screenshot_20220921-071710.png

Last edited:

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
That's because you're in the UK. The European type 2 plugs don't have a thumb latch, so they have to be locked in place.
I see, did not realise that, thank you!

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER / AWD Built 12/21
Country flag
Remember that the Car controls all of the charging, and what we call chargers are just providing the power. it is better (in my opinion) to have the car tell the EVSE (Charging Station) to stop vs a sudden stopping of the power delivery which as others mention could throw a charge error.
Sponsored