TSB 23-2168 - Whine Noise From The Front Drive Unit When Driving Steady Speed Between 30-40 MPH (48-64 km/h)

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
This TSB has been superseded by TSB 23-2261.

This powertrain update is meant to address gear whine from the front motor on non-GT AWD vehicles. However, in my own experience the latest update did nothing to reduce the whine, it's still loud as ever. I'm curious if anyone notices an improvement. I'd like to emphasize the last line of the TSB saying that some whine is a normal characteristic, all the non-GT AWD have a whine to various extents.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Whine Noise From The Front Drive Unit When Driving Steady Speed Between 30-40 MPH (48-64 Km/H)
23-2168
30 May 2023​
Model:
Ford
2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E

Issue: Some 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E vehicles equipped with all-wheel drive (AWD) may exhibit a whine noise from the front drive unit when driving steady speed between 30-40 mph (48-64 km/h) without diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) present. This may be due to software parameters. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM).
Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all the following criteria:

ā€¢ 2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E
ā€¢ AWD
ā€¢ Whine noise from the front drive unit when driving steady speed between 30-40 mph (48-64 km/h)

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2021-2022 Mustang Mach-E Reprogram The Appropriate Modules As Required By The Software Update And Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
MT232168​
Actual Time​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:RECAL
Condition Code:04
Service Procedure
1. Connect a battery charger to the 12-volt battery.
NOTE: To prevent the battery saver mode from activating on the vehicle, make sure the negative cable of the charger is installed on a chassis or engine ground, and not the 12-volt battery negative terminal. Do not have the vehicle plugged into the high voltage battery charger during programming. This can cause incorrect module programming. Make sure only the 12-volt battery charger is installed.
2. Reprogram the PCM using the latest software level of the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) scan tool.
3. Check the availability of software updates on the following modules and update as required:
ā€¢ Secondary on-board diagnostic control module (SOBDM)
ā€¢ Battery energy control module (BECM)
ā€¢ Secondary on-board diagnostic control module B (SOBDMB)
ā€¢ Secondary on-board diagnostic control module C (SOBDMC)
ā€¢ Anti-lock brake system (ABS) module
NOTE: Only one module may be updated at a time.

NOTE: A small amount of whine noise is considered to be characteristic of the power unit design and has no effect on durability.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Did not notice any front motor sound difference after the 4.2.6 OTA.

I regularly drive on a 35 mph road, so going between 35-40 mph my 4X is dead quiet. I do hear the front motor when under acceleration but once I reach the steady speed no noise at all.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My 2023 MME Select AWD has the whine between 30 and 38 MPH. Anyone else with a 23 model year have the whine? I note the TSB only refers to MYs '21 and' 22.

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
I used to have the whine from new in March 21. Had asked the dealer about it, but they couldn't find anything wrong. That was last summer for the 10K service. But after they replaced the APIM in April, the whine is gone. So I'm guessing that when they reprogrammed the PCM it tweaked the amount of power percentage to the front motor.
On a side, am I the only one that notices the car varies daily with braking aggressiveness and adaptive speed control response times/distance.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I used to have the whine from new in March 21. Had asked the dealer about it, but they couldn't find anything wrong. That was last summer for the 10K service. But after they replaced the APIM in April, the whine is gone. So I'm guessing that when they reprogrammed the PCM it tweaked the amount of power percentage to the front motor.
On a side, am I the only one that notices the car varies daily with braking aggressiveness and adaptive speed control response times/distance.
APIM, PCM, please explain these acronyms and their functions. Thanks.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
My 2023 MME Select AWD has the whine between 30 and 38 MPH. Anyone else with a 23 model year have the whine? I note the TSB only refers to MYs '21 and' 22.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
APIM, PCM, please explain these acronyms and their functions. Thanks.
Accessory Protocol Interface Module. It's the computer that runs the center display interface.

Powertrain Control Module. It's the computer that manages the motors, their cooling demands, etc.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This powertrain update is meant to address gear whine from the front motor on non-GT AWD vehicles. However, in my own experience the latest update did nothing to reduce the whine, it's still loud as ever. I'm curious if anyone notices an improvement. I'd like to emphasize the last line of the TSB saying that some whine is a normal characteristic, all the non-GT AWD have a whine to various extents.
From the car or from their owners? (Sorry, I could not help myself!)

dww

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Jaguar XJ8, 2000 Ford F250 SD XL 4WD
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
My 2022 Premium ER AWD has a whine between 28 and 32 mph. Can I just call my local dealer to get this hopefully fixed or can I upgrade at home. I first posted this issue a month after I owned the car but no one had a fix. Thanks

dww

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
How can I send in my VIN and dealer? I have whine between 28 and 32 mph? Thanks

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
only whine I hear is in the back seat

dww

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Winemaker
Country flag
It is pointless to message them, just make an appointment at your dealer and tell them this concern and TSB number.
THanks....will do
Sponsored