Turtle icon? Car won’t accelerate past 10 mph?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Oh no! It's the dreaded turtle!

Normally that comes in when your high voltage battery is dead. Turtle mode just allows you to creep the car off the road. If turning the car off and on doesn't clear it, you need to contact your dealer for service.

OP
OP

westcoastg8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Std Range
Country flag

Normally that comes in when your high voltage battery is dead. Turtle mode just allows you to creep the car off the road. If turning the car off and on doesn't clear it, you need to contact your dealer for service.
Ouch, yeah, I figured that's what it would usually be for, when you are just about to run out of juice. You can see in the photo though, battery is roughly 50 percent charged.

On/off didn't resolve so roadside assistance is on the way and dealer service requested created.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
A quick forum search only showed lots of notes where the turtle did not come on (low %) or turtle wax :)

If not the first, there are not many of these. Good luck!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Ouch, yeah, I figured that's what it would usually be for, when you are just about to run out of juice. You can see in the photo though, battery is roughly 50 percent charged.

On/off didn't resolve so roadside assistance is on the way and dealer service requested created.
Keep us updated on the outcome. We'd all appreciate it. :)

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Agreed, see if it clears after a drive, and let us know if everything is actually OK. Sometimes the messages are not an actual problem but a false message. This one doesn't look good :(

Sorry, let us know the outcome.

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Turtle icon? Car won’t accelerate past 10 mph? 5F97BECA-374E-4E7F-8D90-C851FCCA0370

About to call roadside assistance but wanted to see if anyone has gotten this turtle icon before and had the car not accelerate any faster than 10mph?
Yes, please keep us all posted. Posting here so I get a notification.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I'm glad to see that it actually has a turtle function. I hope it's not too hard to fix your problem.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
maybe it knows how you drive and decided to save you from yourself. ?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
5F97BECA-374E-4E7F-8D90-C851FCCA0370.jpeg

About to call roadside assistance but wanted to see if anyone has gotten this turtle icon before and had the car not accelerate any faster than 10mph?
Could be several thing going on here.
This is limp mode. One or more of the systems isn't operating within limits so the vehicle has reduced function so you can pull over safely.

It is possible the battery is overheating. The louvers might not be opening or the chiller valve might be stuck in the closed position, one of the pumps might have failed or a diverter valve is malfunctioning, etc etc.

When something like this happened to my Focus Electric......I was very close to home so I just parked the car and let it cool overnight. Early the next morning when it was cool, I drove it at regular power about 7 miles to the dealership and left it there. I later got a message from Ford saying I should have had it flat bed towed.

Your warranty covers towing I am pretty sure so you should have it flat bed towed in for service.

Usually the turtle means the car is protecting itself so nothing is damaged by continuing to drive the vehicle.

Good luck.

OP
OP

westcoastg8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Std Range
Country flag
So far, dealer has updated me that his tech has gotten the car out of limp mode by "disconnecting things and re-connecting them" but that they do not feel good about returning the car to me yet due to diagnostic results they are getting and are waiting on Ford engineering to get back to them. I'll continue to keep the thread posted.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

So THAT’S what happens when the 12V battery dies and the car has to rely on the high voltage battery! ?
Sponsored