Turtle icon? Car won’t accelerate past 10 mph?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Be sure to ask them to give you the OTA while they’re at it! ?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So THAT’S what happens when the 12V battery dies and the car has to rely on the high voltage battery! ?
No, normally THAT’S what happens when the high voltage battery dies and the car has to rely on the 12V battery.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
No, normally THAT’S what happens when the high voltage battery dies and the car has to rely on the 12V battery.
I was joking - it was a reference to all the troubles people have reported with their 12V batteries going dead ?

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I asked OP for the cars VIN and I pulled the codes off of PTS.

BECM P0B24 - Hybrid/EV Battery "A" Voltage Unstable
BECM P0AA6 - Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault - This code was present for several days before this so I don't think this is the cause, just one I haven't seen before.

There are a host of other codes but the unstable voltage is putting it into limp mode I think since that code was the only new one. Sounds like an issue with wiring on the battery pack/to the BECM or a bad battery pack...

The isolation fault code is set if the BECM detects a HV system leakage resistance value of less than 400,000 ohms for 30 seconds. Aka if the power is going somewhere it shouldn't be. It says that a leakage under 100k ohms disables the vehicle and is a 'severe fault'. Between 100k and 400k is a mild leakage and doesn't disable the vehicle.

Voltage unstable code from WSM: "Sets if one module cell voltage deviates from the average module cell voltage for 15 seconds. The powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator and MIL illuminates and charging/discharging of the high voltage battery is limited."

Sounds like an issue with the battery pack for sure. Most likely they will just replace it this early on unless its a simple loose connector or something. WSM says to check the BECM connectors for issues before doing any further repairs. If it continues the HVB is replaced.

Last edited:
OP
OP

westcoastg8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Std Range
Country flag
I asked OP for the cars VIN and I pulled the codes off of PTS.

BECM P0B24 - Hybrid/EV Battery "A" Voltage Unstable
BECM P0AA6 - Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault - This code was present for several days before this so I don't think this is the cause, just one I haven't seen before.

There are a host of other codes but the unstable voltage is putting it into limp mode I think since that code was the only new one. Sounds like an issue with wiring on the battery pack/to the BECM or a bad battery pack...

The isolation fault code is set if the BECM detects a HV system leakage resistance value of less than 400,000 ohms for 30 seconds. Aka if the power is going somewhere it shouldn't be. It says that a leakage under 100k ohms disables the vehicle and is a 'severe fault'. Between 100k and 400k is a mild leakage and doesn't disable the vehicle.

Voltage unstable code from WSM: "Sets if one module cell voltage deviates from the average module cell voltage for 15 seconds. The powertrain malfunction (wrench) indicator and MIL illuminates and charging/discharging of the high voltage battery is limited."

Sounds like an issue with the battery pack for sure. Most likely they will just replace it this early on unless its a simple loose connector or something. WSM says to check the BECM connectors for issues before doing any further repairs. If it continues the HVB is replaced.
Thanks for looking the codes up. Received a call from the dealer this afternoon and it confirms what you said above. Problem with the high voltage battery and they're not sure exactly what yet. They have someone from Ford engineering scheduled to come take a look Monday or Tuesday. I'll update again once I hear more.

OP
OP

westcoastg8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Latest update from the service department at my dealer:

“Ok, the engineer and my tech have spoken and we are going to be replaceing the battery. I will have to let you know a delivery time on this part it is not something we order a lot of. I will stay in touch.”

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag

“Ok, the engineer and my tech have spoken and we are going to be replaceing the battery. I will have to let you know a delivery time on this part it is not something we order a lot of. I will stay in touch.”
There’s a $26k part.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Ouch, hopefully they can expedite this one. Let us know the outcome.

Stay positive.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Just got a call from the service department, battery came in and has been replaced. They are going to charge and keep overnight and hopefully I will be getting the car back tomorrow!!
That was WAY quicker than I would have expected. That thing has got to weight 1500lbs and have to be shipped freight.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
Thanks for keeping us updated every step! It will make for amazing reference for anyone that experiences this. At least it sounds like Ford stepped in without hesitating and was quick to find the issue & fix it.

Hope it was just a bad module & you'll get your MME back soon!

OP
OP

westcoastg8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So the good news is my car was ready and is working great! The bad news is right after I got home I was putting my new plates on the car and noticed some nasty scratches on the rear lift gate that definitely weren’t there before this whole ordeal.

Wasn’t able to go back to the dealer today cause they closed and will have to deal with this on Monday. Picture of the service notes as well as the scratches. I’ll let everyone know how the dealer handles this whole scratch situation too.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Turtle icon? Car won’t accelerate past 10 mph? 9F12F80D-A37B-4893-BC43-9639B6AFC602

Ford Mustang Mach-E Turtle icon? Car won’t accelerate past 10 mph? CFE85CAE-9683-45DC-A752-D02B5E42A90A

Ford Mustang Mach-E Turtle icon? Car won’t accelerate past 10 mph? E407C102-E359-4AE3-A7CE-B1DD7327FFDA

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
Oh man they *really* gave the pony a rough ride with those scratches. I hope they take care of it, that's absolutely crazy that the car is so new and they've gone and messed it up like that.

On the other hand, I'm glad to see Ford's response as well as the dealership was relatively quick and efficient. I hope Ford pushes for more dealerships to be EV certified.

OP
OP

westcoastg8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Brought it back to the dealer on my lunch hour and they took it back and "cleaned up" the scratches. If you look close and the sun is shining you can still see them, but I don't have much experience with surface scratches like that to know if that's the best they can do with them.

I can live with the slight imperfection. Hopefully, this will be my last trip to the dealer for a very long time! Thanks for the support all!
Sponsored