SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Nice, can't wait to see that write up! Sounds like it's going to be a great trip!
If we can manage the financial machinations, it might be in a Rivian or Lightning... We'll see.

Edited to add:
We'll keep the Mustang...
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
@SpaceEVDriver, thanks, I really enjoyed your writeup. The CA R1 seems like the perfect car for you. I will say that the GT front seats are pretty comfortable on a long drive. Perhaps you could swap them out with seats from a totaled car if the comfort is really an issue.

The GC North Rim is certainly challenging to get to. I don't know where you like to camp but there's a ChargePoint in Kanab that might in theory get you to/from where you need to go. We've only been there once (in an ICE Volvo) but absolutely loved it and I hope we can do it again in our MME. It sure would be nice if the park service put a charger there!

(In 2019 a friend was extolling the benefits of EVs - he has a small battery Tesla S - and said there was no place he couldn't get to in his car. Having just recently returned from the CG NR and having not seen any chargers along that route, I asked if he could get there. He spent some time with his phone and then said triumphantly, yes, it can be done and showed me the map with the charging locations. I noticed one at the CG so I told him to zoom it. It was of course at the South Rim 🤣. He had to sheepishly admit well there are still some areas that can't be accessed. But I think the ChargePoint in Kanab might change that now.)

That same friend now also has a Rivian RT1 and loves everything about it....except charging. He's looking forward to the NACS adapters every bit as much as the rest of us!

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
@SpaceEVDriver, thanks, I really enjoyed your writeup. The CA R1 seems like the perfect car for you. I will say that the GT front seats are pretty comfortable on a long drive. Perhaps you could swap them out with seats from a totaled car if the comfort is really an issue.

The GC North Rim is certainly challenging to get to. I don't know where you like to camp but there's a ChargePoint in Kanab that might in theory get you to/from where you need to go. We've only been there once (in an ICE Volvo) but absolutely loved it and I hope we can do it again in our MME. It sure would be nice if the park service put a charger there!

(In 2019 a friend was extolling the benefits of EVs - he has a small battery Tesla S - and said there was no place he couldn't get to in his car. Having just recently returned from the CG NR and having not seen any chargers along that route, I asked if he could get there. He spent some time with his phone and then said triumphantly, yes, it can be done and showed me the map with the charging locations. I noticed one at the CG so I told him to zoom it. It was of course at the South Rim 🤣. He had to sheepishly admit well there are still some areas that can't be accessed. But I think the ChargePoint in Kanab might change that now.)

That same friend now also has a Rivian RT1 and loves everything about it....except charging. He's looking forward to the NACS adapters every bit as much as the rest of us!
Technically we can get to and home from the GC North Rim: There are several L2 chargers at Cliff Dweller's along 89A, there are some RV 50A service at Jacob Lake Campground (whatever its name is--I'm too lazy to look it up right now, might be 30A service), and there's a new L2 (Tesla) at the Kaibab Lodge ($15/hr!!!). It's just not as convenient as we would like and we often boondock just outside of the park proper. If we stayed the first night in Jacob Lake, we could get a full charge and do our boondocking, explore the park, etc., and then stay our last night at Jacob Lake again. That would limit our trips to the North Rim to only be viable for slightly longer trips, though.

GC NP doesn't have powered hookups for RVs at the North Rim either, so I suspect it's an issue with just not having reliable, high-power electricity availability. It would be fantastic if they put in a solar-powered, battery-storage DCFC, but... who is going to propose that to the park?

I have an old injury to my spine (a windmill pipe fell on my shoulder when I was a teen), so most seats are uncomfortable after sitting too long. I've considered putting in new seats from the GT. It's not so bad right now since we usually stop after 2-3 hours of driving anyway. But I can tell the padding will eventually compress enough to require some kind of change. At that time I'll certainly look at the GT pulls.

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
As a fellow carsickness person, do you ever get car sickness just driving in the Mach-E from the soft suspension? Any rear passengers report car sickness?
My wife and 16-year-old son (in the back seat) have complained of feeling carsick a few times when I’ve used Blue Cruise, mostly when it’s braking the car or changing lanes. Both are too sudden for my tastes, too. I’ve felt it myself a couple of times.

I also felt it a couple of mornings ago when I finally tried one-pedal driving for the first time ever. My commute is less than three miles, but by the time I got to work I was not feeling well. Granted I have heard it takes some getting used to, but my initial response is that I won’t be trying it again anytime soon.🤢

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
My wife and 16-year-old son (in the back seat) have complained of feeling carsick a few times when I’ve used Blue Cruise, mostly when it’s braking the car or changing lanes. Both are too sudden for my tastes, too. I’ve felt it myself a couple of times.

I also felt it a couple of mornings ago when I finally tried one-pedal driving for the first time ever. My commute is less than three miles, but by the time I got to work I was not feeling well. Granted I have heard it takes some getting used to, but my initial response is that I won’t be trying it again anytime soon.🤢
I'm a fan of 1pd myself, but when my partner uses it, I do get a bit nauseated. I'm glad she's not as sensitive as I.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If we can manage the financial machinations, it might be in a Rivian or Lightning... We'll see.

Edited to add:
We'll keep the Mustang...
I love the Rivian's but with all the new financial news on Riven I wonder if they will have enough capital to hang on.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Technically we can get to and home from the GC North Rim: There are several L2 chargers at Cliff Dweller's along 89A, there are some RV 50A service at Jacob Lake Campground (whatever its name is--I'm too lazy to look it up right now, might be 30A service), and there's a new L2 (Tesla) at the Kaibab Lodge ($15/hr!!!). It's just not as convenient as we would like and we often boondock just outside of the park proper. If we stayed the first night in Jacob Lake, we could get a full charge and do our boondocking, explore the park, etc., and then stay our last night at Jacob Lake again. That would limit our trips to the North Rim to only be viable for slightly longer trips, though.

GC NP doesn't have powered hookups for RVs at the North Rim either, so I suspect it's an issue with just not having reliable, high-power electricity availability. It would be fantastic if they put in a solar-powered, battery-storage DCFC, but... who is going to propose that to the park?

I have an old injury to my spine (a windmill pipe fell on my shoulder when I was a teen), so most seats are uncomfortable after sitting too long. I've considered putting in new seats from the GT. It's not so bad right now since we usually stop after 2-3 hours of driving anyway. But I can tell the padding will eventually compress enough to require some kind of change. At that time I'll certainly look at the GT pulls.
Sorry to hear about your spine issues. As a similarly sized fellow traveler (one fusion surgery and an endoscopic microdiscectomy a few years later), I understand the challenges of long drives. I still have issues, but with the GT seats luckily padding hasn't been one of them.

As for getting to the GC NR, you clearly know the area far better than me. If I decide to head back there in my MME, I'll ping you. 😊

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

BC 1.0 tends to wander back and forth in the lane, and yes it can make you queasy after a time. 1.3 fixed this, so if you ever get 1.3 or greater try it again.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I love the Rivian's but with all the new financial news on Riven I wonder if they will have enough capital to hang on.
Agreed. That's going into our spreadsheet.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nice write-up. I agree almost across the board. We love road tripping in ours, and do it a lot too. 39,000 road trip miles in 3 years thru 14 states in the west and south. Most of them between CO and NV, but we've covered everything between CA, MS, and MO.

Our biggest yet is coming up in May. 6000 miles, 26 states. CO to GA to MA to MI, and a ton in between.

The vast majority of it using Electrify America. Whenever I hear people say EA is "unusable!", I'm like "hold my beer".

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Here are the things we don't like about the car:

• HVAC controls are soft buttons on a screen rather than physical. This is still annoying after two years;

• Physical HVAC controls. I use muscle memory to adjust certain things and that includes the
It's the terrible location of the controls on the screen. I'm still NOT used it after owning a Mach-E for almost 2 years.

Never had a major issue with the Rivian nor Tesla which had HVAC on the screen. The HVAC screen buttons are higher up. I have same issues with the left side light controls. They are too low.

Yes, physical HVAC controls would be ideal.

Otherwise, the controls on the Mach-E for everything else is excellent. Wipers, real signal stalks, volume dial, etc.

I would like a drive mode button on the steering wheel like on the Hyundai/Kia E-GMP cars or a button like on BMW i-series on the center console.

Oh, could I have a Tesla/Rivian/Hyundai easy way to change the max charge SoC instead of digging 3-4 menus deep to find the current charging location to change the max. I feel Ford wants to hide the fact that this is an EV sometimes.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

There are some nice ChargePoint DC Fast stations up in Kanab Utah, just over the state line. We used these in Summer 2023 on our way down to the GC North Rim from Salt Lake City and then on our way back a day later, and then onward to Zion National Park and Las Vegas..

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
There are some nice ChargePoint DC Fast stations up in Kanab Utah, just over the state line. We used these on our way down to the GC North Rim from Salt Lake City and then again on our way back a day later, and then onward to Zion National Park and Las Vegas..

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
There are some nice ChargePoint DC Fast stations up in Kanab Utah, just over the state line. We used these in Summer 2023 on our way down to the GC North Rim from Salt Lake City and then on our way back a day later, and then onward to Zion National Park and Las Vegas..
Yeah. They're about 40 minutes each way out of the way for someone coming from the south. Definitely handy if necessary, but it would be nice to have a DCFC on 89 in Cameron or The Gap or right where 89A splits off from 89. The problem is that's tribal land and there's so little investment in this part of Arizona as it is, it's difficult to see an investment from any of the big companies. It would be great, though. There's some hint from AZ DOT that they might consider it for some phase N of the infrastructure rollout. We'll see.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Nice write-up. I agree almost across the board. We love road tripping in ours, and do it a lot too. 39,000 road trip miles in 3 years thru 14 states in the west and south. Most of them between CO and NV, but we've covered everything between CA, MS, and MO.

Our biggest yet is coming up in May. 6000 miles, 26 states. CO to GA to MA to MI, and a ton in between.

The vast majority of it using Electrify America. Whenever I hear people say EA is "unusable!", I'm like "hold my beer".
I've certainly run into a few issues with various DC chargers across my travels, but I think people are going to be in for a hard reality check when a bunch of different vehicle types start causing all kinds of edge case crashes on a system that was designed to only have communications between two very tightly-controlled systems. I hope I'm wrong.

I welcome the expansion, though, if only because it means there might be fewer people using "my" EA chargers. :) ;)
Sponsored