Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
So, I took my car for it's first wash today. I braved the tunnel (hey, if it's good enough for Bentlys, right? :D ) After the guy got done doing all the stuff with the wheels, and all the interior stuff (which frankly was a waste of time, other than cleaning the finger-print magnet of a screen:D), they give me back my car. I walk around the front to get to the driver's door and I notice the hood is covered in water spots! I've never had water spots at this car wash before. They're a great car wash (they detail all the volvos, audis, mercedes, teslas (and boy do they have horror stories about teslas) and I think bmws from the local dealers for delivery). They really know what they're doing. The guy goes and grabs the owner. He comes out, takes one look and says "yeah, we've seen this before. This car has been sitting outside for a while, hasn't it?" So, I tell him about my car's long spring break in Mexico after being manufactured and before it's slow trek here. He assures me that it's not a problem - they can definitely take care of it. They have a process, but I'm going to have to leave the car with them for the better part of a day, and the sooner they get the car, the better. Apparently, the process involves some kind of very careful treatment with a special acid, then the normal routine of hand clay bar, and wax (I think there's a hand wash or two someplace in that process as well, since there's this acid process in there). And, of course, no more just using whatever wax gets sprayed on through the tunnel. From now on, hand waxing only, every third wash.
I'm wondering how many other cars have suffered water spots from being left outside for so long? This is really annoying - I probably could have been spared this had they put some kind of cheap plastic tarp over the car while it was sitting in the lot.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I'm also getting a lot of water spots after spraying it off. I figured it was just a combination of the color of the car and the fairly horizontal hood not promoting quick water runoff for drying.

GoosePond08

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Country flag
Bad water spots here. One of the worse I've had. Also the paint doesn't have that same smooth coat I'm used to. I noticed that when I picked it up.

I plan to do ceramic shortly so I didn't complain.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have some water spots on the windows, but not on the body of the car.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
This is what mine looks like. The entire hood looks like it has the measles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ugh... Water Spots! 1618083683000

Reactions: UW2

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I’m glad it’s not just me! Here are some pictures. Ugh. Car goes to the car spa tomorrow. I wonder why Ford doesn’t put some protection on these cars when they leave the factory?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ugh... Water Spots! 52946755-9444-490E-9752-A07678664207
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ugh... Water Spots! EC7BDD00-F11B-4F87-9708-0740CF61E996

MurphyDog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I’m really obsessed with keeping my car in showroom condition. I do everything myself and I have really freaking hard water so water spots are something I’ve learned to deal with.

This is what I use and it works great. It does take some some elbow grease, but it’s worth it. The best course of action is to NEVER wash your car in direct sunlight and dry it with the correct tools quickly and carefully.

87CB4E5E-E5A7-437C-A69D-4A413DA2BEFA.jpeg

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I’m really obsessed with keeping my car in showroom condition. I do everything myself and I have really freaking hard water so water spots are something I’ve learned to deal with.

This is what I use and it works great. It does take some some elbow grease, but it’s worth it. The best course of action is to NEVER wash your car in direct sunlight and dry it with the correct tools quickly and carefully.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ugh... Water Spots! 87CB4E5E-E5A7-437C-A69D-4A413DA2BEFA
Yup. Or some of the other more reputable brands. Then clay bar, polish, clean off the residue well (alcohol wipe) and seal it (diy ceramic) or hire someone to do it.

MurphyDog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yup. Or some of the other more reputable brands. Then clay bar, polish, clean off the residue well (alcohol wipe) and seal it (diy ceramic) or hire someone to do it.
What brands do you like? I'm always up for trying new things.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have water spots too. Not as bad as your photos but I still notice. My fix is to break out the buffer and polish it out which will then also seal the clear a bit. After that.....then I will have to spray wash it or the polish will get washed away after a couple standard car washes.

It is a daily driver though so it might not work out like I hope. :(

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Update: the folks at the spa did a great job. Water spots are a thing of the past and the car looks great now! Not sure of the precise product/process (it culminated in clay bar/hand wax), but it worked ?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
The rear window underneath is a real pain spot to keep clean and water spot-free. Even going through a touchless carwash that area can leave soap and water lines.
Always clean that area really well when I can.

MurphyDog

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Geez. Am I the only one who doesn't care about water spots?
I don't care about small dents and scratches either, every car I owned eventually got those.
What's all that obsession, it will be gone in 3 or so years anyway.
I'm a little obsessed keeping my car showroom clean. It's garage kept. It gets a light wipe down every morning and washed every week or two. It feels good to drive around in a car that is perfectly clean and shiny.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
The rear window underneath is a real pain spot to keep clean and water spot-free. Even going through a touchless carwash that area can leave soap and water lines.
Always clean that area really well when I can.
THIS.

I had massive water spots here when I took delivery, basically one giant spot pooled under the rear window. Took some elbow grease but I got it off before I coated the car.

I have a little Chemical Guys blower I sometimes used that I pull out for every wash now to make sure that spot is water-free.
Sponsored