Ugly truth about Mach E - dealerships don’t know how to fix or troubleshoot them

Madeulook

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Mach E is a pretty vehicle and definitely turns heads. Outside of pretty, it has major issues. Biggest issue- dealerships don’t know how to fix or troubleshoot them. My Mach e has an issue, I call it an issue because nobody can figure it out. Perhaps it is several issues but it leads to blind spot fault, cross traffic system fault, and restraints indicator fault. Everything shuts down, no heat/air/heated seats/heated steering, locks and doors, trunk do not work and cannot open, windows do not work, mirrors do not pop out, temperature unknown, and back up cam popping up while driving. 5 times to the shop, 5 guesses and no fixes. Every time they “think they figured it out” and everytime I am given a POS low end model as a replacement. I have owned the car approximately 60 days, over 30 days it has been in the shop. I payed almost $70k for this car and have drivena base model Edge/Escape more than I have driven the Mach e. Ford started a case on it, do not answer calls, do not reply to VM/emails and now mailbox is full can’t even leave a message.
Sponsored

DrJay32

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.luminescentphoto.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
Sorry about your issues; I agree that dealer service can be the absolute worst.
However "my car has an issue" does not imply "all Mach-E's have issues."

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Mach E is a pretty vehicle and definitely turns heads. Outside of pretty, it has major issues. Biggest issue- dealerships don’t know how to fix or troubleshoot them. My Mach e has an issue, I call it an issue because nobody can figure it out. Perhaps it is several issues but it leads to blind spot fault, cross traffic system fault, and restraints indicator fault. Everything shuts down, no heat/air/heated seats/heated steering, locks and doors, trunk do not work and cannot open, windows do not work, mirrors do not pop out, temperature unknown, and back up cam popping up while driving. 5 times to the shop, 5 guesses and no fixes. Every time they “think they figured it out” and everytime I am given a POS low end model as a replacement. I have owned the car approximately 60 days, over 30 days it has been in the shop. I payed almost $70k for this car and have drivena base model Edge/Escape more than I have driven the Mach e. Ford started a case on it, do not answer calls, do not reply to VM/emails and now mailbox is full can’t even leave a message.
The individual you reached out to last month with similar issues had an image processing module fault and that module needed to be replaced.

If everything shuts down I wonder if your 12v battery is problematic.

In either case, as mentioned above... these things happen with every car. It's quite unfortunate it's happened to you and I'm sorry...but quite a number of folks here have had no issues and found the vehicle to be amazing.

OP
OP

Madeulook

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
Sorry about your issues; I agree that dealer service can be the absolute worst.
However "my car has an issue" does not imply "all Mach-E's have issues."
True but if you look at the biggest issue, it applies to all cars. Ford does not know how to troubleshoot or fix them.

OP
OP

Madeulook

First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Country flag
The individual you reached out to last month with similar issues had an image processing module fault and that module needed to be replaced.

If everything shuts down I wonder if your 12v battery is problematic.

In either case, as mentioned above... these things happen with every car. It's quite unfortunate it's happened to you and I'm sorry...but quite a number of folks here have had no issues and found the vehicle to be amazing.
That owner was nice enough to share his issue with me and it was shared with Ford 3 weeks ago.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Maybe I have been lucky but so far I have had no issues that would require a trip back to the dealer! Just had a successful OTA after the initial failure a couple weeks ago. I have taken the car back once to get a 2nd Fob programmed. I am going to hold off on getting the recalls done and give them some more time to ramp up on their service and support for these cars!!

toddicus13

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E Select w/Tech Pkg
Country flag
This seems to depend on the dealer from what I've read in the forums. For instance, my dealer deferred my laundry list of issues to Ford, saying that "software updates are coming" so their hands are tied and I'd just have to wait.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi there, Jessica! Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and current mileage? I'd like to look into these issues you've been experiencing with your Mach-E.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
This does sound like a buyback candidate with the list of problems. 30 days in the shop could be lemon-ed in most states but I don't think manufacturers prefer that over buyback.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Most dealer techs don't understand advanced electrical diagnostics. A lot of this stuff is caused by a bad module putting garbage on the network or completely taking down a network. Tech's just don't know how to isolate it. It isn't very hard, but they don't have the training or expertise to do it. It is all pretty well outlined in the WSM per module but a basic understanding of the systems is just lacking.

DrJay32

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.luminescentphoto.com
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
True but if you look at the biggest issue, it applies to all cars. Ford does not know how to troubleshoot or fix them.
That's a pretty sweeping generalization.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Welcome to the world of the "early adopter". In 5 or six years things will be just fine but until then enjoy learning the ropes with the rest of us.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It's also helpful to try another dealer, there is no rule that says you have to stick with the dealer that isn't getting results. My FIL got a new Explorer recently and the adjustment for the steering column (to move it up or down) was incredibly hard to move, my mother in law couldn't even do it. The dealer he got it from said it was "Normal" and they had tried other Explorers. My FIL ended up taking it to another Ford dealer near him and they diagnosed it as binding almost immediately, gave him an Explorer Platinum to drive while they fixed it, and it's back to him good as new, well, better.

This isn't some glowing endorsement of dealerships obviously, but it is hardly a Ford or even car market specific issue. There are lazy employees/techs in every business. One Dominoes pizza could produce surprisingly good food almost every time (for Dominoes), but one in another part of town with the same menu could be 50/50 depending who is working.

I had a guy out for a winter tune up on our HVAC and he said my furnace filter was dirty and looked to be almost a year old, I had just replaced it three weeks prior and had a brand new one next to it, and they looked identical. It had a carbon pre-filter so I guess he assumed it was plugged with dirt? He also turned on our whole home humidifier without turning on the water supply.

Basically, sometimes you just get crap service. It's no fun, but it's not a Mach-E thing or a Ford thing, it's just a human thing. If you don't like the answers you are getting, go to any other Ford dealer and try there, do some looking on Google Maps for ones near you that have good reviews for service or that sell Mach-Es.

Hopefully you have others near you though, I know not everyone has the same access we do here, with our "31 Metro Detroit Ford Dealers". If you don't like an answer you are getting you can just about go around the block and try another.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
I hope Ford can help you now they reached directly. A different dealer might help. Intermittent issues are the worse to fix. I will try a second dealer myself for some of the issues. My dealer was very friendly but clueless about the features and known issues of this vehicle.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
As I have said before, Zero issues with our Mach E. I tend to avoid dealerships unless it is absolutely necessary or absolutely expensive and covered under warranty. Auto techs can be looked at sort of like surgeons. You just hope that they had a good night before and wife or GF did not piss them off the night before your repair or surgery. And...if your surgeon comes in to see you in pre-op and says good luck, he'll see you afterwards, get up and run out the door with that quite gown flapping. Luck should play no part in it.
Sponsored