UK - 3 Month Old Mach-E off the road for three weeks (so far)

mikemurk

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
IT Product Manager
Country flag
Hi All, hoping I can find some help, if not some emotional support! Purchased a Mach-E AWD ER in October, in the first three months it's been back to the dealer three times (once on day 2 for a "powertrain fault" error, once for a leaking Boot lid, and the recent fiasco (detailed below)

Three weeks ago I returned the the car in a car park after two hours. When I tried to drive off it refused to shift into gear and displayed "stop now" warning. I rang Ford Roadside.. who advised me they'd be three hours. Six and half hours later they still hadn't shown (it was then 2030 at night - and I was stranded 120miles from home). I ring them, they're not answering the phone. I eventually ring a separate recovery company (packaged with bank account) - and they show up in 20 minutes - they can't recover it that night, so I start to work my way back home. Ford Roadside assist eventually call me, 7.5 hours after the call out to tell me "they're lost, and only got the job 10minutes ago". P'ah!.

Car eventually returned to dealer, where they tell me the LV battery is low, and they'll have it charged by the afternoon, I had a chat with them around "I think you'll find it's a bit more than that"... But never-the-less they reassure me. Call that afternoon - battery is dead, new one required, but no idea when, other than "probably not this year" (this was two weeks ago). Oh and - as I'd access the battery while in the car park, and broken a clip, they wanted to charge me for new access panels.

Another week goes by and they finally arrange a hire car - a two year old, 40k miles focus with a chipped windscreen - and significant interior damage. Cue lots of negotiating with Ford Dealer, Ford Customer Services, Enterprise Rental - all of whom tell me it's not their fault - that's all they can do.

Dealer is now reporting that they have no idea what the fault is, or how to fix it, there's no ETA on a fix. I'm left with a hire car I don't fit in (6ft5), and can't use day to day as the rental policy prohibits having a dog in the car.

The dealer directs me to Customer Services, Customer Services direct me to the dealer - and any time anything isn't right, it's not a "Ford" product (Roadside assist isn't them, it's the AA, the hire replacement isn't them, it's my responsibility to negotiate with their rental company - that they've told to only provide a ford) and I can't seem to get any sense out of anyone. The "Mach-E" tech is at the dealer one-day a week. Although not now until January.

I'm aware we don't have a lemon law in the UK, but we do have consumer rights protections, goods must be fit for purpose, but no-one seems to be able to articulate how long is "reasonable" for them to resolve the issues.

Has anyone had a similar experience with warranty/customer service in the UK, and managed to get any actual customer service?

As an aside, I've mentioned the pending roof/windscreen recalls (which have now been issued) - and asked if they can be actioned while they have the vehicle. The dealers answer: "we don't have the equipment for that, sorry". FFS!

M
Sponsored

OP
OP

mikemurk

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
IT Product Manager
Country flag
So.. Update time. Two and a half months and three hire cars later (a two year old, 40k mile focus - unacceptable, a Hyundai Tucson - broke down, and a Kuga - alright, I guess).. Binky the MME is back - with fresh new BEC and BECM modules. Best assessment at the moment is that one, or both of those failed, pulled in the motor relay, while parked, a and killed the 12v.

The dealer has, while they've had it, completed the windscreen and roof recalls, which is good.

So - the car drives fine, but some of the software is playing up... Unable to schedule. Can't see charge logs, can't set charged locations, ford pass app unable to write changes to car...

But at least it's on the road.