UK Home Charging Products and Installation

Nick Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
Hi Team

New thread purely on UK customers that have or are ordering a Home Charging Point.

I watched many Youtube videos on the chargers and for my at least, it boils down to not looking industrial (need to keep house values up!) and that has a supported app that I can schedule charging times in with.

Who is ordering one and what are the timings and expected costs for install etc?

I'm looking at Wallbox Pulsar Plus(22kw) for Ā£809 and then cost of install - less Ā£350 grant = so budgeting for about Ā£800 in total, does that seem reasonable?
Sponsored

Mercury8

First Name
Calum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Country flag
Iā€™m probably going to go for the Pod Point (7kw) as it seems to meet my needs. Itā€™s Ā£559 with the OLEV grant.

I donā€™t have 3 phase charging so 22kw would not work for me.

In Scotland we get another grant of Ā£300 so would take it down Ā£259 with a standard installation ?

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Think I'm getting the Ohme Intelligent Wall Charger as its smart, small and not that expensive with grant.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Personally speaking I went the cheapskate route and got a commando socket installed Ā£32 from Amazon plus installation which wasn't much. Gives me almost as fast a charge as a wall box

Mjsd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge
Country flag
I got my 7 KW Pod Point installed in December. Take about 6-8 weeks to delivery and installation.

OP
OP
Nick Nick

Nick Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Iā€™m probably going to go for the Pod Point (7kw) as it seems to meet my needs. Itā€™s Ā£559 with the OLEV grant.

In Scotland we get another grant of Ā£300 so would take it down Ā£259 with a standard installation ?
Ā£259 with installation?!

Bloody hell, giving them away!

Yeah, I'm going to jump on PodPoint

OP
OP
Nick Nick

Nick Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What about podpoint ? or the offical ford charger?
I want it installed before the MME arrives and there's no dates yet on their branded chargers.

I really like the look of the Ford charger but the inner real estate agent-wannabe in me has me thinking will a generic charger be better for those that buy the house next and drive a BMW/SKODA/Renault etc

Mercury8

First Name
Calum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Country flag
Ā£259 with installation?!

Bloody hell, giving them away!

Yeah, I'm going to jump on PodPoint
Ā£259 with standard installation in Scotland.

Ā£559 everywhere else.

Once I get the order for my car straightened out Iā€™ll get right on it. So, thatā€™ll probably mean Iā€™ll have everything installed by next winter!?

al14

First Name
Alisdair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e RWD extended range
Occupation
Taiji Instructor
Country flag

Excuse my ignorance but what does 3 phase charging refer to?

Mercury8

First Name
Calum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Country flag
Excuse my ignorance but what does 3 phase charging refer to?
All it really refers to is your electrify supply and what speed charger you can have. Most domestic properties have a single phase supply (one fuse - mine is 100 amp but older ones can be 60amp) which means you can use a charger of up to 7.4kw which is more than adequate for most people who will charge overnight .
To be able to use a faster charger of 22kw at home you would need a three phase electrify supply. It could come in handy if you have multiple EVs to charge.

As most houses donā€™t have this I think the 7.4kw chargers will be the most common.
Charging speed would also be limited by the speed the car is capable of charging at as well.

Iā€™m probably going to opt for the 7kw Podpoint charger.

Iā€™d like to point out that Iā€™m not an expert. This is just what Iā€™ve picked up from this forum and other websites. ?

al14

First Name
Alisdair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e RWD extended range
Occupation
Taiji Instructor
Country flag
All it really refers to is your electrify supply and what speed charger you can have. Most domestic properties have a single phase supply (one fuse - mine is 100 amp but older ones can be 60amp) which means you can use a charger of up to 7.4kw which is more than adequate for most people who will charge overnight .
To be able to use a faster charger of 22kw at home you would need a three phase electrify supply. It could come in handy if you have multiple EVs to charge.

As most houses donā€™t have this I think the 7.4kw chargers will be the most common.
Charging speed would also be limited by the speed the car is capable of charging at as well.

Iā€™m probably going to opt for the 7kw Podpoint charger.

Iā€™d like to point out that Iā€™m not an expert. This is just what Iā€™ve picked up from this forum and other websites. ?
Thanks

Coolcatshaft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E SR RWD, Volvo XC90, Ducati Scrambler 1100
Country flag
I've looked at Grahame's commando solution and I think this would work well for in the garage. Although you can get IP rated commando sockets I would not want to leave the Ford Vario charger plugged in outdoors over night.

I am considering the 7kW pod point outdoors. I prefer the look of the universal over the tethered. It looks neater and I can then use the bundled type 2 cable that comes with the MME.

I am guessing the MME has a pre-heat/demist function via the Ford Pass app to defrost it on cold mornings? And usually such functions need the car to be plugged in so an outdoors socket makes more sense.

The price saving with an indoor commando is nothing to be sniffed at though. It's just that the MME will usually be on the drive and the garage will be for our Volvo which will be reserved for 7up trips and summer rainy days when I can't take the bike.

Last edited:

Tatcampbell

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C350e waiting on RR MME Extd RWD
Occupation
Air Traffic Control Engineering Manager
Country flag

At least we have some perks of living North of the Border ? . I was looking at PodPoint as well because Iā€™m a tight arse ?

Mercury8

First Name
Calum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR AWD
Country flag
At least we have some perks of living North of the Border ? . I was looking at PodPoint as well because Iā€™m a tight arse ?
Yep. Although itā€™s Ā£250 now. Better get it before it disappears completely!?
Sponsored