UK Only: Octopus Energy - Intelligent Octopus Tariff - How you finding it?

rodbin

First Name
rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache Jaguar Triumph Mini
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Definitely you are best to stick as you are already with Octopus you can then switch to Intelligent in May perhaps glitches fixed by then
Sponsored

cgp777

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A couple of weeks ago I enquired about IO, as my Go Faster tariff was ending at the end of Jan 23. I was told there would be a date option to pick, as I signed up.
After an email suggesting I run a test to show I had a compatible EV, I thought no more about it, until I got an email today telling me I had been successful in switching my tariffšŸ˜³. After plugging my ME in for charge, I was logged out of my Hypervolt app. After numerous attempts I still canā€™t log in to use the Hypervolt app, nor can I see from within the Octopus app how to set a charge during my new OP 6hr slot. Anyone else had this, or similar issue? Of course, no one manning the phone lines at either Octopus or Hypervolt todayšŸ˜
Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Happy New Year to you all.šŸ˜Ž

rodbin

First Name
rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Hi I was having issues with monitor not updating to new Tariff, called octopus yesterday waited about 5 minutes and got an answer monitor is now correct
This article is quite useful and this lady used Twitter to get answers from Octopus I do not use twitter at 75 I am hanging on to technology by my finger tips and another distraction will see me over the cliff:(
https://www.octopusreferral.link/trouble-shooting-intelligent-octopus-tariff/
Re charge schedule you will find this under devices on the app but most seem to have disconnected this after first connection you have to undergo the test charge before you will get on the tariff I have not plugged the car in for a off peak charge yet as I wanted to make sure I was on the intelligent tariff first

rodbin

First Name
rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Plugged in last night at 10.30 car starting charging despite pod point set to not charge until 00.30 also car at same setting Checked home monitor and surprised and delighted to see the rate being charged according to monitor was 10p turned everything on that could not be set to a timer. Checked this morning and car had charged to 99% despite max charge at 85% on car, intelligent app, and pod point ! Good news is range is back to near normal after huge drop during sub zero. Bad news I have just checked cost per KW on monitor and it is still showing 10p per KW which I know can't be correct of course no one at Octopus
2 issues how is car charging to 99% when all apps etc set to 85% and what is happening with tariff
Happy New Year

OP
OP
Wonky_Donkey

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Just an FYI - Iā€™ve found that you will only get charged the cheaper rate on out of cheap rate hours charging if it is listed in your Octopus app and your charging schedule for the night. (like below)

If itā€™s randomly charging during Peak rate - and itā€™s not shown on this schedule then stop the charge manually using the FordPass app. It should kick in again when a scheduled time window starts again.

Itā€™s really annoying when it does kick in randomly - and Iā€™ve got a support ticket open with Octopus at the moment to try and find out why it does it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Only: Octopus Energy - Intelligent Octopus Tariff - How you finding it? 1B59A288-9F9D-46A8-BC28-B9CD5A5B6F02

hammaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021
Country flag
We switched to Intelligent Octopus at the start of October.

We've had issues with:
- charging being stopped when we are away from home (we were on a fast charger at 7.30pm on a Saturday, and Octopus stopped this and set up a charging schedule).
- scheduled charging working around 50% of the time [which is reported in the app] (and not stopping at the required charge level)
- various settings in the car being changed randomly. Most of the time it was the colour of the display (resetting to Auto from Dark), but we did have two occasions when it turned off of 1 pedal drive mode when we next drove the car...

We've raised these issues with Octopus, but their technical team seems to be overwhelmed. So we have removed the car from the 'devices' in the app, and now control the charge between 11.30pm and 5.30am ourselves...

We're not sure whether our problems are with the Mach-E or Ford; or with Octopus.

rodbin

First Name
rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
More anomalies
The Ford pass app is alternating between ā€œCharged when plugged inā€ and ā€œuse preferredā€ One day it will work fine using the preferred charge then by itself it will revert to Charge when plugged in
Another problem is for some reason it is pausing around 04.30 at 77%
There are 4 items controlling charge times and charge amount
OctopusIntelligent (The provider) is set to 85% and to stop at 05.30 you cannot set a start as Octopus does this automatically at the cheap rate (11.30 to 05.30)
My charger Pod Point this is set at 00.00 to 05.30 ( you cannot set a start date on one day and an end on another ) On the ford pass it is set to 00.00 to 05.00.
( only being able to do 1 hour segments I know is an issue for many owners the lost hour could amount to Ā£120 er year) so I do not see why it should pause
I have posted on the Ford Pass Community and Ikenna community manager is on the case but all he has offered so far is bewilderment !

OP
OP
Wonky_Donkey

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
More anomalies
The Ford pass app is alternating between ā€œCharged when plugged inā€ and ā€œuse preferredā€ One day it will work fine using the preferred charge then by itself it will revert to Charge when plugged in
Iā€™ve had the same issue this week where on Sunday afternoon the car randomly changed charge mode like you described above. It was over an hour before I spotted it - so I now have an hour of peak rate charging on my bill (~7kW @ 39p/kWh ā€¦ about Ā£2.75)

These events seem to be getting more frequent, and because of my very simple charge setup I can only lay the blame at Fordā€™s door rather than anything related to Intelligent Octopus.

I wondered if it was a GPS issue where the car thinks itā€™s no longer at home and therefore the custom charge settings no longer apply, but from what Iā€™ve seen itā€™s always modified the settings on the current location.

I can only deduce from that that the car is syncing with the cloud settings every now and then, and these are being randomly reset.

Mega frustrating isnā€™t it!?

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
My current Octopus Go tariff is coming to an end. I am going to go from 13.8p/kwh to 43p peak rate and 5p/kwh to 12p cheap rate next month . OUCH
Tried to sign up for Intelligent Octopus but it seems that because I use the Ford Variopower Mobile Charger with the commando plug attachment it is not (yet|) applicable to me. Mind you, given the issues you guys seem to be having perhaps this is a good thing.
One good bit of good news, my new GO tariff will give me a 5% discount on public charging when I used the Electric Universe Card/App. I suppose that could be good news.

OP
OP
Wonky_Donkey

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
My current Octopus Go tariff is coming to an end. I am going to go from 13.8p/kwh to 43p peak rate and 5p/kwh to 12p cheap rate next month . OUCH
Tried to sign up for Intelligent Octopus but it seems that because I use the Ford Variopower Mobile Charger with the commando plug attachment it is not (yet|) applicable to me. Mind you, given the issues you guys seem to be having perhaps this is a good thing.
One good bit of good news, my new GO tariff will give me a 5% discount on public charging when I used the Electric Universe Card/App. I suppose that could be good news.
Iā€™m using the same charger as you and Iā€™m on Intelligent Octopus

I think the pre-requisite is either a compatible car OR charger. The car is classed as compatible so the charger shouldnā€™t be an issue.

I got lucky and snagged 38p/kW peak and 7.5p/kW off peak - but it varies depending on where in the country you are (as to why I have no idea)

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
Iā€™m using the same charger as you and Iā€™m on Intelligent Octopus

I think the pre-requisite is either a compatible car OR charger. The car is classed as compatible so the charger shouldnā€™t be an issue.

I got lucky and snagged 38p/kW peak and 7.5p/kW off peak - but it varies depending on where in the country you are (as to why I have no idea)
Interesting. Not sure why unless it just isn't available in my area for some reason. Still, as I said, the issues you and others are having I think I will wait. I need to work out the charges with my Electric Juice card charge points and work out the most cost effective way to charge. That will give me something to do while we are quiet at work.

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
More anomalies
Another problem is for some reason it is pausing around 04.30 at 77%
There are 4 items controlling charge times and charge amount
OctopusIntelligent (The provider) is set to 85% and to stop at 05.30 you cannot set a start as Octopus does this automatically at the cheap rate (11.30 to 05.30)
My charger Pod Point this is set at 00.00 to 05.30 ( you cannot set a start date on one day and an end on another ) On the ford pass it is set to 00.00 to 05.00.
( only being able to do 1 hour segments I know is an issue for many owners the lost hour could amount to Ā£120 er year) so I do not see why it should pause
I have posted on the Ford Pass Community and Ikenna community manager is on the case but all he has offered so far is bewilderment !
Why do you have all these different settings? The communication between Octopus and the car should take care of all that, you just need your charger to be in dumb mode unless that's what they're controlling (the control some chargers and not the car). My setup was charger in dumb mode, NO setting on the car for times or charge limit, just set the Octopus app to be 80% charged for 07:00 if that's when I was leaving.

This way Octopus have full control and can start/stop the charge as per the schedule (which is always the cheap rate regardless of 23:30-05:30 timeframe) and it doesn't confuse things.

Now I say that WAS my setup as I currently have IO disabled as Ford blocked my account because of the third party Octopus use (smartcar.com) who appear to spoof a Ford site when you provide them your username and password. Ford saw this and the pings they send tot he car and blocked it. This mean all the communication between Octopus and the car got messed up and the start/stop didn't work properly. If you're having issues with scheduling working properly, go to ford.co.uk and try logging into your account, if you cannot then your account is disabled and the communication won't happen anyway. I'd also advise you strip back all your settings and just let IO do its thing.

cgp777

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Iā€™ve now sorted out my OP charging, but am using my Hypervolt app to set times etc, as Octopus app didnā€™t seem to work for me. Also, I usually only need to charge up on the OP rate, 10p/KW, and didnā€™t fancy encountering the random-charge issues many seem to be experiencing. It seems I also have been locked out of my Ford account, with ā€˜somethings wrongā€™ when I try to enter my PW. Iā€™ve emailed them and clicked on ,forgotten PW, but not had any success yet. App is still working fine tho, fortunately!
As for Octopus switching me without me knowing, they came clean, apologised and added a nice bit of customer-recovery to my account. Fair onešŸ˜Ž

Iā€™ve posted a couple of questions about Blue Oval subscriptions, on different thread, but canā€™t now locate it. So if anyone happens across this and can help, Iā€™d be so grateful. Always such knowledge and help here. Thanks everyone.

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Iā€™ve now sorted out my OP charging, but am using my Hypervolt app to set times etc, as Octopus app didnā€™t seem to work for me. Also, I usually only need to charge up on the OP rate, 10p/KW, and didnā€™t fancy encountering the random-charge issues many seem to be experiencing. It seems I also have been locked out of my Ford account, with ā€˜somethings wrongā€™ when I try to enter my PW. Iā€™ve emailed them and clicked on ,forgotten PW, but not had any success yet. App is still working fine tho, fortunately!
As for Octopus switching me without me knowing, they came clean, apologised and added a nice bit of customer-recovery to my account. Fair onešŸ˜Ž

Iā€™ve posted a couple of questions about Blue Oval subscriptions, on different thread, but canā€™t now locate it. So if anyone happens across this and can help, Iā€™d be so grateful. Always such knowledge and help here. Thanks everyone.
You need to contact the FordPass team directly to get the account unlocked. [email protected]

cgp777

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Many thanks Steve. Very much appreciated.šŸ‘
Sponsored