MadScientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
Good new for us UK buyers. The continuation of the tax relief was in doubt

From the Budget Statement (my bold)

"Consumer incentives support the development of markets for new transport technology. The government is considering the long-term future of incentives for zero emission vehicles alongside the 2040 phase-out date consultation. Until then, the government will provide £403 million for the Plug-in Car Grant, extending it to 2022-23. Recognising that the market for other ultra-low emission vehicles is still very small, the government will also provide £129.5 million to extend the Plug-in Grants for vans, taxis and motorcycles to 2022‑23. In addition, the Budget announces the exemption of zero emission cars from the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) ‘expensive car supplement’ and the publication of a call for evidence on VED, which will include how it can be further used to reduce vehicle emissions. (35, 44)
Sponsored

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
But not for cars >£50k list price. :(
Yeah these Budget changes announced today suck big time if you wanted the bigger battery. Based on the vehicle tax laws old vs new......

For RWD & AWD Extended Range:
Save £320 a year on Premium Car Road Tax, but loose £3,500 up front EV Grant discount.
Over first 5 years of ownership you are now £1,900 worse off.

For RWD & AWD Standard Range:
Save £320 a year on Premium Car Road Tax, loose £500 up front EV Grant discount
Over first 5 years of ownership you are now £1,100 better off.

If Ford could shave £1,241 off the list price of a RWD ER, you'd get the extra £3k EV Grant brining it down to £46,999

OP
OP

MadScientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
If they don't, I may well cancel my order. It will interesting to see if there is any response from Tesla on their long range models.

Mchaelme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah these Budget changes announced today suck big time if you wanted the bigger battery. Based on the vehicle tax laws old vs new......

For RWD & AWD Extended Range:
Save £320 a year on Premium Car Road Tax, but loose £3,500 up front EV Grant discount.
Over first 5 years of ownership you are now £1,900 worse off.

For RWD & AWD Standard Range:
Save £320 a year on Premium Car Road Tax, loose £500 up front EV Grant discount
Over first 5 years of ownership you are now £1,100 better off.

If Ford could shave £1,241 off the list price of a RWD ER, you'd get the extra £3k EV Grant brining it down to £46,999
iwonder how it works regarding the order date. In theory anyone who has already placed an order should not be affected??

ccarpen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I Pace
Country flag
iwonder how it works regarding the order date. In theory anyone who has already placed an order should not be affected??
We have only reserved a car at this point, so won't be considered an order prior to the change in rebate. I think this means the reduced rebate up to £50k will apply.
I too will reconsider my options if Ford can't reduce the price of the ER RWD to £50k. Tesla LR becomes far more appealing if they don't, or Polestar 2.

Tesla could even benefit from any future trade deal between US/UK reducing the price by further 12% (I think VAT applies to current 10% tariff).

OP
OP

MadScientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
From the Tesla website:

"The plug-in grant is a purchase subsidy of up to £3,000 which is deducted from the purchase price of eligible new Tesla vehicles. Vehicles with a list price under £50,000 before application of optional extras, delivery and registration charges are eligible."

I assume they are correct particularly regarding the last bit???

If they are, Ford would only have to reduce the price of it Extended range, RW drive model by £191 to qualify.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
From the Tesla website:

"The plug-in grant is a purchase subsidy of up to £3,000 which is deducted from the purchase price of eligible new Tesla vehicles. Vehicles with a list price under £50,000 before application of optional extras, delivery and registration charges are eligible."

I assume they are correct particularly regarding the last bit???

If they are, Ford would only have to reduce the price of it Extended range, RW drive model by £191 to qualify.
So funny as I was checking out the Tesla site to see what they’d done as well. I had come to the same logical conclusion as you - fingers crossed eh!

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Sounds like everyone in Europe wants a price cut. If so we in USA would
like the same. Ford will not do this as MME will sell well. If you are on the
limits you can spend then do not buy. Don't beg for help to get your EV.
It is priced very fairly. GM will have EV hitting market 2021. They look
great. They will hurt the Ford EV lineup. I will wait for my MME and pay
the asking price. Look at GM EV to come :

Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Tax Incentives to continue on EVs to 2022/23 Unknown-2
Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Tax Incentives to continue on EVs to 2022/23 Unknown-1

Images for GM EV

KT-PNW

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07’ Mustang, 65’ Mustang, YZF R3
Country flag
I wouldn’t say I’m begging for help, but here in Oregon there’s a cut off of $5k in credits at $50k for a given trim’s base msrp. I’d greatly appreciate it if the premium model came in at that price. As it stands, the base premium is effectively $12k more for me than the select and the select doesn’t get the ER option.

Do I need the credit? No, but free money is always nice.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Sounds like everyone in Europe wants a price cut. If so we in USA would
like the same. Ford will not do this as MME will sell well. If you are on the
limits you can spend then do not buy. Don't beg for help to get your EV.
It is priced very fairly. GM will have EV hitting market 2021. They look
great. They will hurt the Ford EV lineup. I will wait for my MME and pay
the asking price. Look at GM EV to come :
Blimey - you're not fond of us over here are you! LOL

We’re only hoping for a $200 reduction here in the UK (so not everyone in Europe) and that is small enough to be absorbed by a change in the £/$ exchange rates.

It's a small ask - but it will mean the vehicle will cost what we all originally budgeted for before the UK Government pulled the rug out from underneath us. Losing the grant we were all previously eligible for makes a +$3,700 difference to the price.

I’m sure many of us would just swallow the increase if it doesn’t change, as we all want the car so desperately. But when you’ve committed to something and then the price shoots up considerably overnight you can’t blame us for hoping for a minor change.

OP
OP

MadScientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
I'm definitely not begging! But, I do want the best bang for my pound\buck (delete as appropriate).

Last week, the Mach-E extended, RWD was about the same price as a Tesla LR AWD M3. After the recent UK budget, the M3 is now more than £3000 cheaper for me because of a slight quirk in the grant eligibility. Now Ford has a choice: be competitive for the sake of a few pounds or not. If they choose the latter course, then my money is going to Elon's piggy bank.

Last edited:

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Sorry for the wrong term "begging" but yes MME should be for everyone.
A lot of people will go to their very limits of spending for anything. Please
think twice and hope for the best. The EV market will be getting very
competitive very soon. Prices will fall some. Yes I want all to be happy
as this exciting MME comes to market. I love it as much as you do.
BUT what would we order if those GM EV's were available ? They look
very nice and maybe a 400 mile range. It's about a year away !!

ccarpen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I Pace
Country flag
Tesla has actually reduced the price of M3 LR by £500 so it still qualifies for the rebate. It was £47000 after rebate prior to the reduction in rebate from £3500 to £3000.