Ummm.. is this charging noise normal?

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Forgive me for not having RTFM yet, but i just got the 240v outlet installed today, charging L2 first time now. About 15 minutes in I started hearing this loud sound (no not the screen coil whine issue! ?). Is this normal? Some battery conditioning perhaps

OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Can't really tell from the video. Are your front vents open? If so, then open your garage door so the car can get some air flow going.

Sounds like it is trying to cool the battery....

Last edited:

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Sounds like this, but without the echo.

OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Sounds like this, but without the echo.
OK yess, ty... you're right. It sounds very similar but without the echo. I will keep an eye ear on it. Mine had a slight high pitch secondary noise but could be the echo. Was mainly wondering if normal in other people's experience so far. Was my first time doing any charging with it. Started at 30% SoC just before 10pm already up to 75%. Gnite! Thanks all.

OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Yeah it was pretty loud! I thought a helicopter was approaching my house, took me a minute to realize it was my garage. Sound went away after about 5 minutes. Down to a steady humming buzz, which was also new to me.

Can't really tell from the video. Are your front vents open? If so, then open your garage door so the car can get some air flow going.

Sounds like it is trying to cool the battery....
Thanks for the reply! I didn't even think about the active grill shutters, will check next time it make the sound, just like the video posted here of Marlin.
It was 39 degrees out at the time, I assumed battery was being warmed, but battery cooling could still make sense!

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
All the electrical transformers and whatnot along with the coolant pump circulating coolant to prevent the battery from getting too hot. It can get pretty noisy. Especially in enclosed places.

OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Was it near the end of the charge; that would be when the battery gets the warmest?
Only 15 minutes in ? Had gone from 30% to 34%
Will continue to monitor the next few times.

OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag

It went down to this slight buzz/hum later, which I'm guessing is more normal.
Would be less concerned if others reported similar noise or behavior (the really loud one from the first couple videos posted) when L2 charging. This was my first time charging it since bringing it home over a week ago. Battery down to 30%

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag

It went down to this slight buzz/hum later, which I'm guessing is more normal.
Would be less concerned if others reported similar noise or behavior (the really loud one from the first couple videos posted) when L2 charging. This was my first time charging it since bringing it home over a week ago. Battery down to 30%
This last video sounds like typical coolant pump buzz noise. I believe there's a coolant pump for the BCM that always runs at the same speed, as long as you're on L1 or L2 charging ...... maybe, there could be a future OTA that could vary the speed of this pump??

Then, there should also be a pump feeding flow to the HVB, which would run intermittently as the battery needs cooling.

The nasty noise in your first couple vids sounds like the cooling fan. As suggested by someone else, if you hear that noise again, check to see if the grille shutters are at all open. I am surprised as well that L2 charging would get the batteries hot enough to cause the cooling fan to come on at such a high speed.