Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E, '06 Mustang GT, '06 Explorer, '15 CRV
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
***ISSUE RESOLVED - SEE POST #23***

My apologies if this has been posted before. Have tried searching the forum, but not finding this exact situation.

I took delivery of my IB ER AWD on 3/23. Did not set up the car at the dealership as they had not done it before and were aware that I was more educated than they were (maybe hubris on my part...).

The car has been great. No issues with L2 charging, pairing my phone, wireless Android auto, etc. I am very happy with my purchase.

However, I cannot activate the vehicle. I have tried every combination of master resets, soft resets, deleting car from fordpass, logging out of fordpass, deleting fordpass and re-installing, car on wifi, car on cellular, phone on wifi, phone on cellular, etc. Still have the same issue.

After fordpass finds the car and I name it, the screen has the activate button. I click it and it tells me to accept the prompt in the car. But nothing ever shows in the car. After a few mins, I get a message in fordpass that authentication failed and to try later. The activate button re-appears in fordpass.

The fordpass guides walked me through a whole bunch of attempts on the phone, but ultimately had to create a case (i.e. help desk ticket) to be elevated to level 2 or whatever the next higher step is. They told 3-5 days for a response. Today is day 3, so I wait.

Posting here in case anyone else has had this issue. Thanks for any help that can be provided!
Sponsored

Last edited:

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Are you in an area where the vehicle has good AT&T cell coverage when you do this?

One trick might be to leave the car "on" for a few minutes to ensure it is talking to Ford's servers before you hit activate from inside FordPass.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My apologies if this has been posted before. Have tried searching the forum, but not finding this exact situation.

I took delivery of my IB ER AWD on 3/23. Did not set up the car at the dealership as they had not done it before and were aware that I was more educated than they were (maybe hubris on my part...).

The car has been great. No issues with L2 charging, pairing my phone, wireless Android auto, etc. I am very happy with my purchase.

However, I cannot activate the vehicle. I have tried every combination of master resets, soft resets, deleting car from fordpass, logging out of fordpass, deleting fordpass and re-installing, car on wifi, car on cellular, phone on wifi, phone on cellular, etc. Still have the same issue.

After fordpass finds the car and I name it, the screen has the activate button. I click it and it tells me to accept the prompt in the car. But nothing ever shows in the car. After a few mins, I get a message in fordpass that authentication failed and to try later. The activate button re-appears in fordpass.

The fordpass guides walked me through a while bunch of attempts on the phone, but ultimately had to create a case (i.e. help desk ticket) to be elevated to level 2 or whatever the next higher step is. They told 3-5 days for a response. Today is day 3, so I wait.

Posting here in case anyone else has had this issue. Thanks for any help that can be provided!
Try this number if you haven't yet......800-336-0486, this is for Fordpass app help.......better than the guides in my experience......I actually got a guy Dave twice, very helpful......walked me through set up......

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It’s so weird that this process works perfectly for some cars but not others. I tried hitting the activate button a bunch of times while the car was still in Mexico, but it always just timed out after a few minutes, likely because the car was in transport mode. The day my car arrived at the dealer, I hit the activate button again, and this time it didn’t time out, it just said activation pending. The next morning, the sales guy saw a message on the screen to accept the activation, and he hit okay. I immediately got a notification that FordPass activation was successful. When I got to the dealer, I was able to use it to unlock the car and look at it without having to talk to anyone first to get the key.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag

The fordpass guides walked me through a while bunch of attempts on the phone, but ultimately had to create a case (i.e. help desk ticket) to be elevated to level 2 or whatever the next higher step is. They told 3-5 days for a response. Today is day 3, so I wait.

I had this exact problem: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/modem-“disabled”.4703/

Go into Settings, and in the Vehicle Hotspot settings what does it say? (It's the button under Connectivity in Settings) Mine said the hotspot feature was disabled in my vehicle

I ended up having to take it to the dealer who still has it. They got with a Ford engineer and are replacing the LTE modem, it's not communicating at all

Also, have you gone to a DC Fast Charger yet? Mine will charge on Level 2 at home, but I cannot charge on a DC Fast Charger at all. I don't think it's related, but there's a slight chance it is. The dealer has not diagnosed my DCFC issue yet

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP
06VistaGT

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
I have the car out in my driveway. 5 bars of at&t cell service. On one of the attempts with the guides, I drove a half mile away to an open parking lot, again with 5 bars, and tried again. No difference. Have tried when the car was first turned on (including numerous key cycles) as well as after returning home from a drive, so car had been on with all services working.

In connectivity settings, I don't see anything titled Hotspot. But the following are all enabled: vehicle connectivity, share vehicle data, share vehicle analytics, SiriusXM. As well as Bluetooth and wireless app projection. The guide had me toggle off the share data settings on one of the tries. Also toggled wifi on and off for different attempts.

I have not yet done dcfc.

Will try the other phone number today.

Many thanks for the input and ideas.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I have the car out in my driveway. 5 bars of at&t cell service. On one of the attempts with the guides, I drove a half mile away to an open parking lot, again with 5 bars, and tried again. No difference. Have tried when the car was first turned on (including numerous key cycles) as well as after returning home from a drive, so car had been on with all services working.

In connectivity settings, I don't see anything titled Hotspot. But the following are all enabled: vehicle connectivity, share vehicle data, share vehicle analytics, SiriusXM. As well as Bluetooth and wireless app projection. The guide had me toggle off the share data settings on one of the tries. Also toggled wifi on and off for different attempts.

I have not yet done dcfc.

Will try the other phone number today.

Many thanks for the input and ideas.
I'm having the same problems. Your not alone for what it's worth!

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had same problem.

How ever I found the solution.

what happens is the number of times you downloaded it exceeds four. This fills it. You have to delete them and start over.

How ever I forget how to delete phone as a key.

Good luck

Reactions: UW2
OP
OP
06VistaGT

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
I had same problem.

How ever I found the solution.

what happens is the number of times you downloaded it exceeds four. This fills it. You have to delete them and start over.

How ever I forget how to delete phone as a key.

Good luck
I assume you mean you have set up Paak four times? I haven't gotten anywhere near that step yet.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
if you tried four times, then you have.

OP
OP
06VistaGT

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
if you tried four times, then you have.
Thanks. I will see if I can figure out how to check and see if there are any paak's set up and remove them.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Thanks. I will see if I can figure out how to check and see if there are any paak's set up and remove them.
I don't know if you resolved this. I did one master reset before I bought the car. Later I did the activate on my phone and never received the popup. And then 24 hours later of not messing around with anything (no resets no reinstalls, etc.) it popped up.

OP
OP
06VistaGT

06VistaGT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
I don't know if you resolved this. I did one master reset before I bought the car. Later I did the activate on my phone and never received the popup. And then 24 hours later of not messing around with anything (no resets no reinstalls, etc.) it popped up.
Not resolved yet. Have tried all the recommendations provided by members (thanks!), but no luck. I have a case pulled with Ford and called on Friday to get it "escalated". Will see what happens. I can drive and charge (L2) fine, so not the end of the world. But cannot set up paak or use any of the other fordpass features.

Funny enough, wireless Android auto works perfectly every time. Just get in and it loads up.

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
I had this exact problem: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/modem-“disabled”.4703/

Go into Settings, and in the Vehicle Hotspot settings what does it say? (It's the button under Connectivity in Settings) Mine said the hotspot feature was disabled in my vehicle

I ended up having to take it to the dealer who still has it. They got with a Ford engineer and are replacing the LTE modem, it's not communicating at all

Also, have you gone to a DC Fast Charger yet? Mine will charge on Level 2 at home, but I cannot charge on a DC Fast Charger at all. I don't think it's related, but there's a slight chance it is. The dealer has not diagnosed my DCFC issue yet
So, check out my thread I linked. The dealer and Ford were able to fix my car and I can activate it in FordPass, PaaK works, and DCFC is working. They ended up needing to replace the TCU, which is the module that handles communication as well as re-flashing the firmware on several charging related modules. I highly suggest you take your car to the service department at your dealer and have them open a ticket with Ford. Feel free to send them my thread and maybe that will give them some ideas of what to try. It's very unlikely that it's going to just start working and it's very unlikely that you opening a ticket with FordPass support will do any good. Someone is going to need to get into the car's systems
Sponsored