Unbridled mode gives more range. 369 miles at 100%

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
I thought that I read recently on this forum that a Ford Engineer said that it's not good to regularly charge to 100%. Something about nowhere for the electrons for go when fully charged and using brake regen. 90% is the most you should charge when not on a long trip.
Yes, regen is limited at 100% so mechanical brakes will be used instead (energy lost to heat). This is correct advice, only charge above 90% right before leaving on a long trip where you need the range. You shouldn't charge to 100% for daily use.

i thought what the engineer said was weird. unless you are starting your trip going down a hill you will use more electricity moving the car than gain from regen
Sponsored

Cuddlecool

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Professional education
Country flag
Are you speeding? Try doing the speed limit for a week. Turn 1 pedal off. Reset the Gom.

Let me know if it works. Also AWD get less range on every trim.
Well, if I have to behave while I'm driving, where's the fun in that? šŸ˜ BTW, I've gotten as high as 307 miles at 100% on the GOM, which I do reset every month or two. Just not recently.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
i thought what the engineer said was weird. unless you are starting your trip going down a hill you will use more electricity moving the car than gain from regen
Chevy bolt one pedal mode didn't work above 90% charge, was very annoying.

Boselka

First Name
Jason & Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vibedigital.marketing
Vehicles
'16 CMaxEnergi|'17 FocusElectric|'21 Mustang MachE
Occupation
Website Design, Development, and Digital Marketing
Country flag
I have a Premium AWD EX. I live in Austin with similar weather to Houston (with less humidity). We had only a couple days this past winter below freezing, but itā€™s been in the 80s and 90s for months. And yet I havenā€™t seen above 250 on the GOM since last fall. Granted, I made three trips to Houston in April, and I do drive in Unbridled 1-pedal all the time. But Iā€™m beginning to think I must have some bad cells in my battery pack.

3158BDB7-5671-49AD-B7D8-8681F5CFD21A.jpeg
We live in Denton TX not as similar in terms of weather however for the last 3 weeks it has been pretty good. We also have a Premium AWD EX. Your GOM could be accurate depending on your trips. If we do more than 30 or 40 miles on the highway our 100% range estimate drops to around 250 or 260 the next time we charge (that the doing the speed limit @ 65-70) if we drive a week on exclusively city streets GOM goes up to around 300 @ 100%.

If you take the ring road in Austin or if you are frequently doing between 80 & 90 on the highway for more than 20 miles GOM drops.

sctsnpr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E CA Route 1
Country flag
Yes it does. I have gotten above 300 mile range since the 2nd week I have owned it.

All CR1 have extended range battery. But the AWD has less range than the RWD.
I didnā€™t think I had an option for AWD vs RWD. Iā€™ve never seen over 300 miles at 100%. Granted I do some uphill commuting for work. But on a trip to San Diego using cruise control I donā€™t see 300 either. I think I need to verify that they have me the right batteryā€¦ šŸ˜…

OP
OP

DancingMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E california, Premium
I am getting less range now that the temperature in Houston is reaching 100 degrees. Smh, I was running errands and everytime I got back into the car the temp said 101 or 102. My range was in the toilet no matter what I did. and I don't put my AC below 74 degrees(that's my sweet spot or I will freeze). My mi/kwh only increased when the temp in the car drops below 97 degrees.

So warmer weather may increase your range but hot weather will kill it also.

valeriol

First Name
Valerio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RW
Country flag
This thread intrigued me, but I waited a while to post so that I would have a couple of data points.

I charge the car to 100% (we only drive 250 mi/month and use a level 2 charger, so it should be OK), then I set trip 1 to zero and when I charge again I sum the miles driven to the remaining range to get a reasonably accurate estimate.

I was using whisper mode with one pedal driving and consistently got 220+ to 230+ miles (I got only 216 once, but it was a bitter cold period). Now I switched to unbridled and got 248 and 242 (the latter included 120 miles of highway driving in 91 degree weather). This is a difference of 18/19 miles, not huge, but not insignificant. I find this quite surprising and cannot explain it.

One thing: in whisper mode I would get the brake coach display, in unbridled I don't. My understanding, from the very poor documentation, is that the energy recovery should work in every mode. Is it just that the break coach does not show up in unbridled ?

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
This thread intrigued me, but I waited a while to post so that I would have a couple of data points.

I charge the car to 100% (we only drive 250 mi/month and use a level 2 charger, so it should be OK), then I set trip 1 to zero and when I charge again I sum the miles driven to the remaining range to get a reasonably accurate estimate.

I was using whisper mode with one pedal driving and consistently got 220+ to 230+ miles (I got only 216 once, but it was a bitter cold period). Now I switched to unbridled and got 248 and 242 (the latter included 120 miles of highway driving in 91 degree weather). This is a difference of 18/19 miles, not huge, but not insignificant. I find this quite surprising and cannot explain it.

One thing: in whisper mode I would get the brake coach display, in unbridled I don't. My understanding, from the very poor documentation, is that the energy recovery should work in every mode. Is it just that the break coach does not show up in unbridled ?
I am willing to bet your range increase is due to warmer weather and not drive mode. The Regen should work the same when you press the brake, unless you are breaking too quickly and actually using the brake pads instead of just the motors to slow down.

valeriol

First Name
Valerio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am willing to bet your range increase is due to warmer weather and not drive mode. The Regen should work the same when you press the brake, unless you are breaking too quickly and actually using the brake pads instead of just the motors to slow down.
No, the warmer weather has nothing to do with it since the values I quoted for whisper were observed in the period between June 21 and May 22, so warm+hot+cold.

I am assuming that the regen works (I rarely use the break pedal), but the brake coach display does not show in unbridled. Just a curiosity, nothing more.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It is certainly possible that you would get more range in Unbridled vs Whisper due to the 1-pedal driving and extra regen. If you are doing city driving, this could add up to quite a lot of recovered energy, but for highway driving it probably won't make a difference.
Actually that shouldn't matter much either, because the brake pedal uses regen to slow you down too (unless you press hard enough to also trigger assist from the friction brakes to slow down faster than regen alone).

So whether the regen comes from 1PD, L gear, U or E, it's still the same amount of regen recovered (until the friction brakes kick in too) over the same distance. They just slow you down at different rates.

The different modes will change driver behavior though (like make it easier to accelerate faster with less pedal press), which will affect efficiency.

valeriol

First Name
Valerio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
[...]
The different modes will change driver behavior though (like make it easier to accelerate faster with less pedal press), which will affect efficiency.
That's a good point. Maybe unbridled leads to more efficient driving.
Whatever the reason, I'm keeping unbridled.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Brake Coach only displays in Engaged, for some reason. I have no idea why they did that. Makes no sense.

The range displayed on the dash (GOM) is mostly crap. Ignore it for anything more than a rough estimate when you're getting lower and deciding where to charge next.

Somewhat more accurate is the MPK (mi/kWh). You can measure that via the trip meters and multiply by 88 (kWh battery for the 2021 ERs) to get a better estimate. But of course even that is just a measure of your efficiency for that previous driving (speed, elevation, temp, etc), which can be drastically different on your next drive.

valeriol

First Name
Valerio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Brake Coach only displays in Engaged, for some reason. I have no idea why they did that. Makes no sense.

The range displayed on the dash (GOM) is mostly crap. Ignore it for anything more than a rough estimate when you're getting lower and deciding where to charge next.

Somewhat more accurate is the MPK (mi/kWh). You can measure that via the trip meters and multiply by 88 (kWh battery for the 2021 ERs) to get a better estimate. But of course even that is just a measure of your efficiency for that previous driving (speed, elevation, temp, etc), which can be drastically different on your next drive.
I use the GOM only to have a rough estimate and then, as I described, to get a reasonable range when I'm about to recharge by adding it to the effective miles traveled.

The MPK changed too. In whisper I would typically get 3.5, with a range of 3.1-3.9; in unbridled I get 4.1, with a range of 3.7-4.5. Since I have a standard range battery, that should, in theory, give me an extra 41 miles in range, but I take these numbers with a big lump of salt.

In another thread they are suggesting you get more regen in unbridled (more engine breaking). If that's true it might explain the difference in range.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I use the GOM only to have a rough estimate and then, as I described, to get a reasonable range when I'm about to recharge by adding it to the effective miles traveled.

The MPK changed too. In whisper I would typically get 3.5, with a range of 3.1-3.9; in unbridled I get 4.1, with a range of 3.7-4.5. Since I have a standard range battery, that should, in theory, give me an extra 41 miles in range, but I take these numbers with a big lump of salt.

In another thread they are suggesting you get more regen in unbridled (more engine breaking). If that's true it might explain the difference in range.
Depends on what one means by more regen. It is harder regen slowing than Engaged (and Whisper which has none). But it's not more regen than the brake pedal can apply instead. The energy recovered is still the same either way for the same distance.

But, when using the brake pedal more frequently, it's possible people may be "late slowers" and press the pedal hard enough to also engage some friction braking too (what Brake Coach would display as less than 100%). Compared to that, yes, regen alone is more efficient. Lots of nuances in it all.

In any case, if you're getting better efficiency in any mode vs another (i.e. it affects your driving in a positive way), and you like that mode, then great! That's all that really matters.

Last edited:

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
That's Amazing !!! My Mach E GTPE is not even close...

3e7ec63e-dd23-4e98-b3b0-f54c95bc1133 (1).jpg

90e89b8c-4ec7-4278-8fc4-54b1cce23632.jpg

29706149-8d91-48c7-b5f0-782a0ff9dc6f.jpg