Uneven gap between glass roof and tailgate

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Picked up my RWD extended range MME, really love it. It is fast, sexy, and quiet. Everything works perfect so far even for PAAK. However I do notice an unusual panel alignment issue which bothers me a lot. It is obvious enough that you cannot ignore it. The gap between the end of glass roof and tailgate is quite uneven. The right side is much higher to the left side. Attached the photos below (apologize for the messy garage). It looks to me the right side around that clip the glass roof is not fully flushed down. Dealer checked and confirmed the tailgate is aligned perfectly to the frame. Sadly they cannot do anything and told me it left the factory thus must be within the spec. However, given a $60K price tag, I have to say I expect much better build quality. This defect reminds me the early age Tesla MYs... Is this fixable? Anyone else has the same issue? My worry is that the right side of the glass roof may suffer the stronger pressure comparing to the left side and at some point it may crack out...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Uneven gap between glass roof and tailgate 1a.JPG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Uneven gap between glass roof and tailgate 2.JPG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Uneven gap between glass roof and tailgate 3.JPG

Last edited:

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Mine demonstrates this phenomenon, but it is more pronounced from the front.

Aside from the noise it generates, I’ve decided not to worry about longevity.

OP
OP

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Mine demonstrates this phenomenon, but it is more pronounced from the front.

Aside from the noise it generates, I’ve decided not to worry about longevity.
Mine doesn't have the extensive wind noise from the front, at least not obvious. Probably I should check if there are gap between the roof and frame underneath, as it doesn't seem to be put into the position it supposes to be.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
Picked up my RWD extended range MME, really love it. It is fast, sexy, and quiet. Everything works perfect so far even for PAAK. However I do notice an unusual panel alignment issue which bothers me a lot. It is obvious enough that you cannot ignore it. The gap between the end of glass roof and tailgate is quite uneven. The right side is much higher to the left side. Attached the photos below (apologize for the messy garage). It looks to me the right side around that clip the glass roof is not fully flushed down. Dealer checked and confirmed the tailgate is aligned perfectly to the frame. Sadly they cannot do anything and told me it left the factory thus must be within the spec. However, given a $60K price tag, I have to say I expect much better build quality. This defect reminds me the early age Tesla MYs... Is this fixable? Anyone else has the same issue? My worry is that the right side of the glass roof may suffer the stronger pressure comparing to the left side and at some point it may crack out...

Mine is exactly like that. I still have to bring back to the dealer to be checked. I will let you know what they say.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Check the alignment on the painted parts of the rear hatch (left & right back part of the C-pillar). Do those line-up?

On my car all the painted parts line up. Every Mach-E I have seen has a small step-down from the back edge of the roof vs. the front edge of the hatch and I've concluded this is normal because every other part where the hatch comes together with the rest of the car (all the painted parts) line up nicely (unless that piece of intermediate trim can be adjusted independently from the rest of the hatch.)

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Mine is similar but not as pronounce as yours. Seems worst closer to the side of the car than the middle.

OP
OP

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Mine is exactly like that. I still have to bring back to the dealer to be checked. I will let you know what they say.
Yea thanks. I am waiting for ford to arrange the second dealer for checkup.

OP
OP

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Dealer compared it to another one on the lot which is also showing similar thing just not that obvious, and they decide it is by "spec" and normal.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just for comparison...looks about the same.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Uneven gap between glass roof and tailgate 1615939440432