Uneven panel gap between glass roof and tailgate

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Picked up my RWD extended range MME, really love it. It is fast, sexy, and quiet. Everything works perfect so far even for PAAK. However I do notice an unusual panel alignment issue which bothers me a lot. It is obvious enough that you cannot ignore it. The gap between the end of glass roof and tailgate is quite uneven. The right side is much higher to the left side. Attached the photos below (apologize for the messy garage). It looks to me the right side around that clip the glass roof is not fully flushed down. Dealer checked and confirmed the tailgate is aligned perfectly to the frame. Sadly they cannot do anything and told me it left the factory thus must be within the spec. However, given a $60K price tag, I have to say I expect much better build quality. This defect reminds me the early age Tesla MYs... Is this fixable? Anyone else has the same issue? My worry is that the right side of the glass roof may suffer the stronger pressure comparing to the left side and at some point it may crack out...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Uneven panel gap between glass roof and tailgate 1a.JPG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Uneven panel gap between glass roof and tailgate 2.JPG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Uneven panel gap between glass roof and tailgate 3.JPG

Last edited:

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
They should be able to adjust that. Should being the operable word.

OP
OP

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
I would only be concerned about tailgate alignment, and you already had that checked.
Tailgate seems aligned properly, which leads me think it is the glass roof installation defect. Well, probably it is indeed within the spec, though for such an expensive car the allowed mis-alignment should be much tighter. Not the case from I see sadly..

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Tailgate seems aligned properly, which leads me think it is the glass roof installation defect. Well, probably it is indeed within the spec, though for such an expensive car the allowed mis-alignment should be much tighter. Not the case from I see sadly..
tell that to Tesla while you're at it.

OP
OP

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
tell that to Tesla while you're at it.
True, early MYs have similar issues, just I expect Ford to be tougher on quality control. Given how obvious the issue is, I have to say I am disappointed, from the quality perspective. Car is great and I really like it, that's why I didn't refuse the delivery. But again, I stopped laughing at Tesla now as what I saw is no difference to those early MYs.

Last edited:

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Picked up my RWD extended range MME, really love it. It is fast, sexy, and quiet. Everything works perfect so far even for PAAK. However I do notice an unusual panel alignment issue which bothers me a lot. It is obvious enough that you cannot ignore it. The gap between the end of glass roof and tailgate is quite uneven. The right side is much higher to the left side. Attached the photos below (apologize for the messy garage). It looks to me the right side around that clip the glass roof is not fully flushed down. Dealer checked and confirmed the tailgate is aligned perfectly to the frame. Sadly they cannot do anything and told me it left the factory thus must be within the spec. However, given a $60K price tag, I have to say I expect much better build quality. This defect reminds me the early age Tesla MYs... Is this fixable? Anyone else has the same issue? My worry is that the right side of the glass roof may suffer the stronger pressure comparing to the left side and at some point it may crack out...

Yes I thought I saw that on some picture too and woory's me a bit. For sure I'll check at my delivery.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Contacted Ford through facebook message. A case is created and escalated to internal SUV service team. Gonna update as soon as I got the response.
Hopefully they come through and make it right. That is not an acceptable panel fit, for sure.

Dealers will say anything to get out of work sometimes. I've found their favorite response to any squeak/rattle concern is "we didn't hear it, sorry."

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag

Looks like the hatch door needs to be adjusted slightly higher on the right side, still. I'm not sure the glass roof is the problem. Try bringing it to another dealer for a second opinion there; they should definitely be able to adjust it.

OP
OP

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
@SteelMach @sockmeister Thanks for the suggestions. At this point I will wait for confirmation from Ford that this is fixable and their recommendations. I have spent over 5 hours Tuesday with dealer before getting "nothing can be done, it is within spec" answer. It is painful and I am afraid I go there again likely I will waste another couple hours for nothing.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
@SteelMach @sockmeister Thanks for the suggestions. At this point I will wait for confirmation from Ford that this is fixable and their recommendations. I have spent over 5 hours Tuesday with dealer before getting "nothing can be done, it is within spec" answer. It is painful and I am afraid I go there again likely I will waste another couple hours for nothing.
If the car is quiet, the liftgate closes properly, easily and without rubbing anywhere, you're probably good to go. File a report with the dealer as you did, and stay in touch with them about it ocassionally. Keep an eye on it, but I bet you're fine, as @RonTCat said as well.

And I'm jealous. Mine is on day 10 of its 64-day journey to me.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
There are lots of height differences on the roof of the MME. Lots of different angles and the sharkfin antenna sits on a curvy triangular piece and its slightly higher that the glass roof as well. On paper looks great but very hard to make and assemble in alignment - not to talk of the differences folks already noticed around the glass roof and the front and the sides.

I assume Ford has inspected at factory for all this stuff but there is no way to tell if its OK or not ok for us unless we get a few cars of the same trim and do a comparative measurement.
Sponsored